Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

"Considering they had the shovels in the ground in 1995 for the Eglinton West subway, I would say the demand is there."

Considering it would have terminated in Bob Rae's riding, I'd also say that was sufficient demand right there.

ure, they had shovels for the Eglinton West subway, but that was only to Keele, which isn't quite as far as the airport. Plus, there must be a reason it's not the first priority for TTC.

The rationale is laid out fairly clearly in the ridership growth plan.

Are there any other industrialized cities of Toronto's size or larger that do not have rapid transit links between the downtown and the international airport? I know that NYC, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, Tokyo, London, Paris, Madrid, Hong Kong, and Milano do.

^ Melbourne I recall from on the articles previously posted somewhere on the board. It's not the same size as TO but close enough I think.

LA doesn't have one. Other than that, pushing the boundaries... Istanbul, Miami, Stockholm, all of South America.

The SF connection has been a complete disaster. All the stations along the line are dead and service has been reduced to less than half, with the system's least frequent line (blue) now serving the airport.

Are there any other industrialized cities of Toronto's size or larger that do not have rapid transit links between the downtown and the international airport? I know that NYC, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, Tokyo, London, Paris, Madrid, Hong Kong, and Milano do.

Newark - Yes
JFK was just recently connected with the air train.
La Gaurdia still has none.

Where do you build the rapid transit links to benefit enough people to warrant the cost? Even with the proposal I think is best, extend the cable to car to a GO station, its only going to benefit people coming downtown, or along that GO line. And if people are going from downtown anyways, how many are going to take a taxi instead of lugging their luggage on a GO train, and then transferring to the cable car? Some who travel light will, and those willing to save a few bucks will, but others? And then there are those who have to take the TTC to the GO.

I also wonder about the timing of trips out of Pearson. I travel for business, and the airport always seems busiest in the morning from 6:00am - 9:00am, and then again from 5:00pm - 8:00pm. I wonder if any transit solution would be of much benefit to those passengers arriving or departing early in the morning.

Anyone have stats on what the inbound/outbound traffic out of Pearson is by hour?

Check out the Wikipedia article Train-to-the-plane for a complete list.

Remember the point of B22 was to do it without public money which excluded GO. Hopefully the current Ont govt will see it differently.

Extend the PIA people mover to Woodbine GO and ensure a stop at Dundas West to placate the Weston community groups and leverage the subway (and reduce the load on 192). However Steve Munro had some choice words about the people mover recently:
www.stevemunro.ca/?p=171

I just don't understand this idea that so many people seem to have that Eglinton West was obviously the best first choice for a subway line and we were simply screwed by Mel Lastman who connived with the province for Sheppard. The latter was always the first priority, even back in 1985 when the TTC's own Network 2011 plan proposed Sheppard as the first phase and indicated that Eglinton didn't even merit an LRT, let alone a subway. They proposed a busway.

Sheppard and Finch have always been far busier bus routes than Eglinton West.

www.metronews.ca/column_i...47&cid=634

In Transit
Ed Drass
Metro newspaper

Published June 15, 2006

Revisiting airport-to-downtown link
Should connect with TTC, GO
At last, we can examine the proposal to run an express service from downtown to Pearson International Airport.

In the late 1990s, former federal Liberal transport minister David Collenette proposed a fast rail link for Toronto, much like those found in cities around the world. Alas, the planning process was secretive. It emerged that the winning bidder would be a private firm, charging more than $20 to shuttle passengers by railcar between Union Station and the airport.

Some critics scoffed that the project, called Blue 22, would never attract enough customers, especially since thousands of airport workers and travellers live far from the proposed route.

Last year, residents of the Weston neighbourhood learned that several local streets would close to make way for high-speed trains — and there was to be no local stop. The proposal became so contentious during the recent federal election, a full environmental assessment was promised.

Readers of In Transit regularly suggest building a subway to the airport, perhaps up Highway 427 from Kipling station, or maybe a brand new line along Eglinton Avenue. One proposal from private bus companies called for an express bus-only road along the Georgetown rail corridor.

Some transit advocates have suggested a shuttle train could run between the airport and the nearest GO Transit station near Woodbine racetrack. Riders would transfer onto trains headed downtown or west toward Brampton and Georgetown.

Independent of this whole process, the airport authority is set to open a “people mover†between Terminals 1, 3 and a long-term parking garage. This 1.5-kilometre line starts up July 6 and no major extensions are planned.

Now concerned citizens can discuss the proposed airport link at public sessions next week. The Blue 22 proposal is currently on hold while GO Transit conducts a full Ontario environmental assessment process, with a federal study to begin later.

The EA will consider a variety of transportation options across a wide swath of the city. But as welcome as this expanded scope is, the study’s mandate focuses only on moving tourists and business people between the city core and Pearson.

The public could choose a subway option but a separate EA would be required.

If we want faster, congestion-free access to the airport from locations other than downtown, then this project has to connect with the TTC and GO at multiple points. And the fare must be reasonable.

Allowing the private sector to operate the express link might ensure it is actually built.

But unless travellers across the region also get better airport access, what’s the point?

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs...9483202845

Airport rail link gets fresh review
Study to look at wider range of transit options
Weston residents wary of GO's new assessment
Jun. 20, 2006. 05:17 AM
KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

The controversial rail link between Union Station and Pearson airport — on life support now for more than a year — is getting a fresh review.

But it will take more than a year to know whether GO Transit officials will back the publicly funded private railway proposal or kill it by picking another rapid transit alternative in an environmental assessment process that is beginning all over again.

Weston residents — whose vociferous opposition to the rail link delayed the project — will get their say at how they think the environmental assessment ought to be run at a public meeting tomorrow night that will lay the groundwork for the study.

"This is a very controversial (issue)," said Imants Hausmanis, project manager for GO Transit. "We have to follow the process now. In July of next year, we should have a resolution."

Mike Sullivan, spokesman for the Weston Community Coalition, said his group has been "papering" the neighbourhood to raise awareness of the meeting. He said he's prepared to be openminded about the study but remains cynical because he's found it hard to get information.

"This new study is really weird," said Sullivan. "It's hard to pin them down on what they're studying and who for. The environmental assessment is proposing talks in terms of tradeoffs but doesn't say what these tradeoffs are."

Hausmanis said the study will have two prongs: One will look at expanding GO service to Georgetown on the existing CN Rail corridor. The other will examine a wider range of transit options to the airport than the old study, which simply looked at the impact of a Union-Pearson rail link. The possibilities include subway extension, a bus-only highway and widening Highway 427.

Hausmanis said if the study recommends anything outside of GO's jurisdiction — such as subway extension — the findings would be passed to the City of Toronto and the TTC.

The city is not directly involved, but Mayor David Miller said an airport subway would be too costly. "I think a rail link to Pearson is an essential part of the city's infrastructure. It's crazy you can't get to Pearson airport by train."

Miller said he'd prefer the rail link be operated by GO Transit using GO pricing but said the proposed privately run service — costing about $20 per ride — is "better to have that than nothing."

While GO quickly got environmental assessment approval for its other expansion projects, the Georgetown project was bogged down because the airport rail link — a spur line off the Georgetown corridor — was piggybacked on top of it.

The private rail link — dubbed Blue 22 — was to be owned by SNC Lavalin, operating trains every 20 minutes between Union Station and Pearson, with a stop at Dundas West subway station.

Weston residents didn't want loud, smelly trains operating in their backyard every 20 minutes. Some roads may have had to be closed, and the community divided as a result.

Miller proposed putting a stop in Weston, which would slow the trains and eliminate the need to close roads.

At the very least, expanding GO service to Georgetown is a priority, Hausmanis said. "We right now cannot meet the demand we have in that corridor."

Tomorrow's meeting begins at 6:30 p.m., at Faith Sanctuary Pentecostal Church, 1901 Jane St.

...and finally, the notice of the meetings. The first one has already passed.

www.georgetownpearsonstud...9-1REV.pdf

Monday, June 19, 2006
6:30 p.m to 9:00 p.m.
Metro Hall
55 John Street
Rooms: 308 and 309

Wednesday, June 21, 2006
6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Faith Sanctuary Pentecostal Church
1901 Jane Street

Thursday, June 22, 2006
6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.