Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

They had a point. Why should they bear the burden of the years of construction, as well as the noise and vibration associated with frequent trains, with no benefit? It was an equitable decision to include the stop there to give them access to the service and offset possible reductions in property values. It's still an express service.

I'd feel the same way about people in Leslieville if they were asked to put up with the noise, park changes and compromised property rights of the Ontario Line project without even getting access to the line with a station in their neighbourhood.

It's also been six years, and Mount Dennis still isn't open! It's not like it was just around the corner.

The time to drop Weston is when they are offering AD2W service to Union with at least a 30 minute frequency. That way it's a service cut, but a much less significant one.

If the goal to get people to use rail to the airport, you will need more stops and better headway that doesn't exist at this time.

If you want non stop between Union and the airport, you will have to pay the high price as well longer headway to justify it.

If you stop service to Weston, how do riders to/from the airport get there other than taking GO to Mount Dennis to catch the UPX train??

I have recommended starting in 2007 that GO needs to run different type of service from the milk run to express with hop scotch of various type in between.

Once GO is running 15 minute or better service on the corridor, it would make sense for UPX to change its stopping pattern so that it has a non-stop to union service and an "all stops" service that stops at woodbine, mount Dennis, Bloor, and Union.
I'd still stop at Bloor and Mount Dennis, as these are good interchange points from the TTC. Hopefully by then, the short direction connection from Dundas West to Bloor stations is complete.

It is the dwell times at each station that needs to be shortened. Then you get the signal controls telling the trains to slow down or speed up along the way. Some parts of the route have a "go slow" order because of construction or track conditions.

If the goal to get people to use rail to the airport, you will need more stops and better headway that doesn't exist at this time.

If you want non stop between Union and the airport, you will have to pay the high price as well longer headway to justify it.

If you stop service to Weston, how do riders to/from the airport get there other than taking GO to Mount Dennis to catch the UPX train??

I have recommended starting in 2007 that GO needs to run different type of service from the milk run to express with hop scotch of various type in between.
I think it really depends on what the time savings are when we switch to EMUs and if we reduce the dwell time on stations. If we can maintain a similar travel time between Pearson and Union alongside a Woodbine, Weston, Mt. Dennis, Bloor, and whatever new station we want to build, absolutely no problem. However if that isn't the case, and travel times become 30-35 minutes, that's when we should start cutting stations. I think the first order of business would definitely be to guarantee a station at Woodbine, because that way those travelling to the airport from a station that isn't served by UP don't have to backtrack to reach an UP Station. From Woodbine, travelers to and from Pearson can catch a Kitchener Line train west to Brampton, or a train east to whatever local stop isn't served by UPX. As for which stations UP serves beyond that, priority should be given to stations that connect to other forms of RT, namely Mt. Dennis and Bloor. Granted with Mt. Dennis, an argument could be made that since Line 5 already travels to Pearson, and the trip likely won't be much longer than via the UP Express if you factor in the average time you're going to have to wait for the next train, that it doesn't need an UP Express station, which means you now have room to instead add a station elsewhere like St. Clair - Old Weston or Weston (these names won't get confusing - I swear).

Back