Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Sure, but how many of the people who made that decision are still around today? And how many of them are likely to still be around when (if?) the line is electrified and new stations are open at King, St Clair, and Woodbine?

At some point they will have to buy new train sets and make decisions on which new stations to serve and possibly even build an entirely new station at Pearson. If they want to abandon the UPX brand, they will have plenty of opportunity.

The note in my mailbox last week tells me that Metrolinx is getting under way on adding the third platform and 4th track to Weston, (and possibly an reference to a shed roof over it all [?]). The length of the platform they do build will probably be an early sign of the future intentions for the stations. If they don't build a high-level platform for the 4th track, probably a good signal they intend to drop UP service once the electrified GO is up to 15-minute frequencies Union-Bramalea.

The note in my mailbox last week tells me that Metrolinx is getting under way on adding the third platform and 4th track to Weston, (and possibly an reference to a shed roof over it all [?]). The length of the platform they do build will probably be an early sign of the future intentions for the stations. If they don't build a high-level platform for the 4th track, probably a good signal they intend to drop UP service once the electrified GO is up to 15-minute frequencies Union-Bramalea.

If they switch to an Electrified GO EMU for the UPX, they will have to still use trains with high platforms as Pearson and Union portals are high platform and would be expensive to change.

OR a special train with both low and high platform doors, but that would mean you still would have a special train type specific for the UPX, so might as well just keep it high platformed.

If they switch to an Electrified GO EMU for the UPX, they will have to still use trains with high platforms as Pearson and Union portals are high platform and would be expensive to change.

OR a special train with both low and high platform doors, but that would mean you still would have a special train type specific for the UPX, so might as well just keep it high platformed.
Sorry, I just meant drop UP service at Weston, not drop UP altogether.

whats the reason for it?
From link:

"Switch maintenance and signalling improvements in the Union Station Rail Corridor that will improve service reliability, eliminate bottlenecks and increase train speeds. This work will also ensure that we’re ready for two-way, all day transit with 15-minute service or better within the most heavily travelled Metrolinx-owned rail corridors, twice the train trips during rush hour and four times the number of train trips outside of rush hour and on weekends. "

Moar hoarding. If it's one thing Union needs, it's more hoarding. Can't have enough, love the stuff. Beige plywood, mmm. Feel like the company that puts hoarding up made the right political contributions. There may be a hoarding racket afoot. But we're the true victors.

I really dont think Metolinx is going to make as radical of a change to UPX as what's been suggested. By the time all is said and done with the current speculated proposal, I could see the costs of the overhauls reaching more than $500 million (when you take into account platform changes and modification at both Union and Pearson, bridge work, fleet customization/procurement, electrification and structural changes to the airport spur, and other complicated engineering work).

If I was to estimate based on all the work that would be necessary, i'd say this could easily reach at least $700 million. Then add the typical government delay/stall inflation pricing effect and let's just say it would get to $1 billion.

I really dont think Metolinx is going to make as radical of a change to UPX as what's been suggested. By the time all is said and done with the current speculated proposal, I could see the costs of the overhauls reaching more than $500 million (when you take into account platform changes and modification at both Union and Pearson, bridge work, fleet customization/procurement, electrification and structural changes to the airport spur, and other complicated engineering work).

If I was to estimate based on all the work that would be necessary, i'd say this could easily reach at least $700 million. Then add the typical government delay/stall inflation pricing effect and let's just say it would get to $1 billion.
Somehow a shitty exposed to the environment platform for SmartTrack can cost over $100 million in Toronto. How???????????????????????????????? It shouldn't even cost $100m for a new the train fleet to operate the UPX. It's not like they have to dig up the station at the airport or Union. Either ML is really bad at spending or being ripped off badly by the private sector. Somehow you could be right, they'll spend a billion on it.

What would be properly sensible is to ditch the UPX in favour of routing 1/2 of K-W trains through Pearson once you have 2WAD service. Just use whatever the normal fleet rolling stock is............

Yes, I'm aware that's no small project; but it would be the best way, love the commuter service from Schiphol in Amsterdam to the City Centre

Last edited:
What would be properly sensible is to ditch the UPX in favour of routing 1/2 of K-W trains through Pearson once you have 2WAD service. Just use whatever the normal fleet rolling stock is............

Yes, I'm aware that's no small project; but it would be the best way, love the commuter service from Schiphol in Amsterdam to the City Centre
That idea is about 12 years old. The proposal back then and during the Blue22/UPX EA was to have a wye at the corridor to go either direction for various type of service. 1 route run from London to the airport/Union, 2 route from the east to the airport, 3 route like it is now, 4 route off the Lakeshore W from Hamilton. Other routes could be added down the road as demand for them increase where it would be cost effective.

Not that i'm disagreeing, but we'd definitely be looking at the cost exceeding $1 billion if Merolinx chose this option. Especially if they are looking at similar double deck trains.

Seeing how cheap our current government is, I dont see anything significant happening within their current mandate. Not even during a 2nd mandate if they get one.

Back