Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I think what they mean is that Union UPX and Pearson UPX Stations should be in a different zone than GO Union and GO Bus Pearson Stations. Tapping on at either UPX terminal station should default to the Pearson-Union trip, and when you tap off at Bloor, (Mount Dennis,) or Weston, it takes the GO fare.
the desire for separate fares is exactly why we have two different tap machines.....so the discussion has gone full circle.

How about installing faregates and getting rid of all the people standing around and checking tickets? All this baloney could be avoided. And get the faregates in GO stations and it all becomes so simple. Tap In. Tap Out.

Well, I still don't think tapping off is good idea. Can anyone tell me what is so good about tapping off??
How about an end to debates about how many people travelled when and where? You have perfect data. You know where each trip started and each trip ended. And when. It’s standard just about everywhere except Toronto’s transit muddle.

How about installing faregates and getting rid of all the people standing around and checking tickets? All this baloney could be avoided. And get the faregates in GO stations and it all becomes so simple. Tap In. Tap Out.

Too many outdoor entrances to GO stations, plenty of them are just a gap in the fence..

- Paul

Too many outdoor entrances to GO stations, plenty of them are just a gap in the fence..

- Paul
[plenty of them are just a gap in the fence...] Faregate.

I have seen enough cheating here that I don't believe we are a mature enough society to not have them. We actually have a big 'cheating' problem on TTC all door boarding.

Why then do I keep seeing fare inspectors go through an entire busy streetcar, with either no or one person not having paid?

Well, then your lucky then. There have been times where fare inspectors have gone in streetcars and seen the '' all-door-cheat", I saw a video from Citynews on it, but we're getting off topic so that's water under the bridge...

Well, then your lucky then. There have been times where fare inspectors have gone in streetcars and seen the '' all-door-cheat", I saw a video from Citynews on it, but we're getting off topic so that's water under the bridge...
It certainly happens. Fare evasion rates of 5% have been estimated for meany years, long before all-door loading on other than Queen. One would have always expected them to catch every streetcar or two on average.

What' I'm rejecting is the premise that it's increased significantly just because they officially extended the all-door loading and fare-inspectors to more routes. Yes, I've seen people caught before. The last occasion during the brutal cold, I'd even seen the person tap, and it turned red (which belies they information they were sending around recently, about telling people not to worry in the cold, if they had a Presto problem - though I don't know if they charged him after they asked him to step off the streetcar with them.

They even caught me once ... fortunately I (finally) found my MetroCard in the wrong part of my wallet as they were writing me the ticket! I'd started to think I'd left it at home by accident. So even seeing them haul someone off the streetcar doesn't necessary mean fare evasion.

Is it me or does the UP Express seem to have some performance issues? It seems lately that the reliability has been sub-par such as cutting back service or outright cancellation. What I do not understand is how it is acceptable for there to be numerous occasions for cancellations and bustitution when this link is suppose to be the most vital in terms of importance to connecting the downtown and the airport. One would expect that this line should be the most reliable as it is the newest addition to the GO Network.

On a tangent, is it the equipment, infrastructure or just plain management that leads to the constant issues? Would be great if there was a comparison between the UP Express and NJ Transit's train connection between Penn Station and Newark Airport.

Vancouver had a similar problem with fare evasion on the YVR section of the Canada Line and few were actually paying the fare 3 zone as Richmond is fare 2 zone. I did it once because I didn't even know I was suppose to pay a 3 fare zone. Of course catching them after they disembark is useless for tourists as they will never pay the fine.

Vancouver remedied this by NOT charging the extra fare to get the airport but charging twice the fare when leaving. As an example, if it costs an extra dollar to go from the previous station to the airport, they wouldn't pay the $1 but conversely when they start their return trip they are charged $2.

Back