Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I took UPX on Sunday to go from Dundas West to Union. There were about a half dozen people with their luggage on the platform with me before I warned them that they were on the wrong platform if they were going to Pearson. They managed to cross just in time to make their train.

I wonder how many hapless travelers have missed their flights because they boarded the airport train from the platform with the airplanes printed on it, only to be whisked 7 kilometers in the opposite direction of the airport.

I took UPX on Sunday to go from Dundas West to Union. There were about a half dozen people with their luggage on the platform with me before I warned them that they were on the wrong platform if they were going to Pearson. They managed to cross just in time to make their train.

I wonder how many hapless travelers have missed their flights because they boarded the airport train from the platform with the airplanes printed on it, only to be whisked 7 kilometers in the opposite direction of the airport.
Should the UPX have it’s own centre platform at stations? Ideally, it should have 2 platforms at Union and maybe Pearson, but that might not be needed with actual RER running. Also, since it will most likely no longer stop at Weston when Mount Dennis opens, does it make any sense for it to stop at Etobicoke North?

Should the UPX have it’s own centre platform at stations? Ideally, it should have 2 platforms at Union and maybe Pearson, but that might not be needed with actual RER running. Also, since it will most likely no longer stop at Weston when Mount Dennis opens, does it make any sense for it to stop at Etobicoke North?

More than a few times I have had to correct people at Weston........you overhear them say something like "what time is our flight" or "we have lots of time before our flight" and common decency leads you to say "sorry but I couldn't help but over hear and the train to the airport is boarding today from that platform over there".

It rarely changes but it sometimes does.......but in my mind I am always thinking "really? The electronic signs clearly tell you which platform the airport train is boarding from and the platforms are clearly numbered.....why/how could you be standing on the wrong platform?".

It rarely changes but it sometimes does.......but in my mind I am always thinking "really? The electronic signs clearly tell you which platform the airport train is boarding from and the platforms are clearly numbered.....why/how could you be standing on the wrong platform?".

Signage and wayfinding is helpful, but certainty is preferable.

UPX does change platforms occasionally. Imagine if every so often the subway decided to swap platforms and run in the other direction. They might put up great and accurate electronic signage, but it would still be a PITA, and some percentage of people would get it wrong on any given day.

I would rate the signage at Bloor as ‘OK’ rather than ‘spectacular’, and I’m in the conscious habit of checking when I get on there. I have been wrong once or twice.

- Paul

More than a few times I have had to correct people at Weston........you overhear them say something like "what time is our flight" or "we have lots of time before our flight" and common decency leads you to say "sorry but I couldn't help but over hear and the train to the airport is boarding today from that platform over there".

Do the platforms not have "To Union" and "To Pearson"?

Do the platforms not have "To Union" and "To Pearson"?
That's the thing. The direction of the platform changes. Yesterday I got off the UP from Union at Bloor in the evening on platform 2. At night when I went to catch the train back to Union, it was also on platform 2.
A gentleman was waiting on platform 1 for a train to the airport. The train actually arrived on platform 3. So when he saw the train coming on the other side, he bolted it down the stairs, through the tunnel, then back up in time as the doors were closing.

It has happened more than a few times that the signs in the ticket hall at both Bloor and Weston have not shown the same track number as those on the platforms!

I trust the ones in the ticket hall more. I have pointed this out to staff twice, only to be told that I should report it. What? I pointed out to one that *surely*, being staff, they should inform management.

"It's a dispatching responsibility, not operations" was the answer one time. Zipping from one platform across to the right one with a dog and bike in tow is even more of a challenge...I made it both times....only just. This wasn't just the other side of the island platform, it was running down steps, across, and back up steps again. (The eastern most elevator at Bloor is *still*! out of service, plus they're incredibly slow anyway)

I later reported one incident at Bloor to the counter staff at Union, and they took the initiative to let it be known to the right person. Ostensibly...

Last edited:
There was one time when the electronic signs on platform 1 at Bloor Station told passengers to refer to the electronic signs.
Last time I was at Bloor getting on the UPX, the monitor on the platform was literally missing - you could see where it used to be bolted to the ceiling. No indication up there if we were on the right platform or not - had to walk back down the stairs and check with information and the electronic signs down there.

Last time I was at Bloor getting on the UPX, the monitor on the platform was literally missing - you could see where it used to be bolted to the ceiling. No indication up there if we were on the right platform or not - had to walk back down the stairs and check with information and the electronic signs down there.
To compound issues at Bloor, besides there not being an operating elevator for roughly a year or so on the eastern side for those with mobility issues, on the western island platform, there are no indications available for GO trains, just UPX. Sometimes they arrive/depart within minutes of each other, and so make for alternatives to each other if one is jam packed and it appears wise to take the other. But that's only as good as knowing if the 'other' is arriving imminently.

Exactly the 'conversation of doubt' as described prior in this string was ensuing last two times this week I used the UP platform. It's very disconcerting for visitors for the possibility of missing their train. In the end, the Pearson bound train arrived on the normally southbound platform, but at least they could run across the same platform, not have to run down steps, across, and up more steps with no elevator working to get to where they should be. The western most elevator has also been in and out of service a number of times over the last two years.

The build quality of the Bloor Station, as pointed out by the auditor's report, is abysmal. The ground level floors have massive cracks in them already, (albeit patched) at least most of the roof leaks have been fixed.

Last edited:
I've heard this too, but haven't found any official plans to close the Weston station to UPX. Given that that station was a peace offering and that 15 min RER won't be online for a few years at Weston (I think), will Metrolinx not be in hot water if they do this?

I've heard this too, but haven't found any official plans to close the Weston station to UPX. Given that that station was a peace offering and that 15 min RER won't be online for a few years at Weston (I think), will Metrolinx not be in hot water if they do this?
As a Weston resident, I think its quite reasonable that they close the Weston UPX when both RER is running at 15 mins and they want to add an UPX stop at Mount Dennis. Will suck for getting to the airport, but I and most others predominantly head downtown...so we shouldn't care if its branded RER or UPX.

Back