Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Could be about UPX

Or about GO, but since the announcement is at UPX
I'll post it here.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2018/02/minister-of-transportation-to-make-an-announcement-43.html

Meh....

https://twitter.com/Kathryn_McGarry/status/966314430047797248

Kathryn McGarry‏@Kathryn_McGarry
We’re bringing WiFi to the @GOtransit Network - so you can stay connected while you ride. @Metrolinx will begin piloting WiFi on two trains and four buses this Spring to ensure a smooth network-wide rollout #onpoli

I'll give McGarry credit, at least the announcement was for something that's actually useful. Unlike Del Duca and his infinitely useless photo-ops to re-announce RFPs, RFQs, etc...

I'd rather see an RFQ/RFP announcement, as it would mark actual progress on the transit file.
This Wifi monkey business is a waste of time

I'll give McGarry credit, at least the announcement was for something that's actually useful. Unlike Del Duca and his infinitely useless photo-ops to re-announce RFPs, RFQs, etc...

I was about to respond that the new transport minister has continued the tradition of frivolous press conferences.

I'd rather see an RFQ/RFP announcement, as it would mark actual progress on the transit file.
This Wifi monkey business is a waste of time

I was about to respond that the new transport minister has continued the tradition of frivolous press conferences.
WiFi service is something that passengers will be able to use, whether that's useless or not is up to one's own imagination. Making the public aware of impending WiFi service is appropriate and there's nothing really frivolous about that, but i'm sure a press statement would have done the job fine as well.

Re-announcing the progress of RFPs and RFQs over and over again, and holding photo-ops for each one does nothing to actually improve service, it's simply a waste of time and taxpayer dollars.

WiFi service is something that passengers will be able to use, whether that's useless or not is up to one's own imagination. Making the public aware of impending WiFi service is appropriate and there's nothing really frivolous about that, but i'm sure a press statement would have done the job fine as well.

Re-announcing the progress of RFPs and RFQs over and over again, and holding photo-ops for each one does nothing to actually improve service, it's simply a waste of time and taxpayer dollars.

agreed....we are finally starting to begin to catch up with the rest of the "world class cities"

Very weird to have the announcement at the UPX station given that UPX has had wi-fi since opening and this is for GO. Guess they have to have it somewhere, but why not at ML offices in the west wing, or in a corner of the GO concourse?

UPdated UP ridership:

Up Express ridership was approximately 850,000 during the last quarter, a 22%
increase from the same period in 2016. October’s ridership topped 300,000 for the fifth consecutive month, with small and predictable seasonal declines in November and December.

I took the Union Pearson Express today for the first time: the 17:15 from Weston to Union. I couldn't stop raving about it to my friends and family. If this is the future of GO, I am sold ten times over. Ridership was solid: on the way to Union, 90% of seats in my car were filled plus a few standees. However, driving and walking through Weston, I saw very vividly the challenge of station access which will either make or break GO train service. Here are some photos of track work at Weston station.

Attachments

• IMG_20180313_172330.jpg
    IMG_20180313_172330.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20180313_172336.jpg
    IMG_20180313_172336.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 198
I took the Union Pearson Express today for the first time: the 17:15 from Weston to Union. I couldn't stop raving about it to my friends and family. If this is the future of GO, I am sold ten times over. Ridership was solid: on the way to Union, 90% of seats in my car were filled plus a few standees. However, driving and walking through Weston, I saw very vividly the challenge of station access which will either make or break GO train service. Here are some photos of track work at Weston station.

Nice shots! In recent trips along the Weston Sub, I have noticed little bits of trackwork getting done. Track 1 is now in place from Weston Road down to Lawrence, and there are bits popping into place out around the Woodbine racetrack. However, the major segments that have to get done before anything can be connected include: Etobicoke North station, the 401 tunnel, a new platform with tunnel at Weston, and a new platform with reconfiguration of the railway bridge and the Railpath at Bloor. And then there will be disruption to build Mount Dennis.

I will sleep a lot better if all this gets mobilised before the Provincial election, but time is getting short.

- Paul

The platform at Bloor is already there. It'll need a tunnel extension though.

I don't think there is a party in this race that can afford to cancel that work. Too much future infrastructure service too many diverse ridings depends on it.

Back