Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Yet I wonder why be discreet when people openly drink liquor from the bottle on the train. I've even seen people openly snorting coke on the trains several times this year. The enforcement is sparse and clueless. Trains late on Saturday are a mess of empty cans, liquor bottles and food trash all over.

Forget clubbing, sounds like I need to get myself to a GO train on a Friday night...

Forget clubbing, sounds like I need to get myself to a GO train on a Friday night...
lol...it makes the late night London Tube sound soft by comparison!

What the London Tube looks like past midnight
August 22, 2016 · 2:30 PM EDT

By Orlando Gili
and Joseph Fox

Comment
NightTube2016_Gili_02_web.jpg
NightTube2016_Gili_02_web.jpg

(2:00 a.m.) "This boisterous group jumped out at Oxford Circus," says photographer Orlando Gili. "They walked toward me and started acting up for the cameras as they saw me taking pictures."

Credit:
Orlando Gili/PRI

Something unusual happened on London on Friday night. The Tube — officially the London Underground — opened up two of its lines for 24-hour service.

Player utilities
00:00
00:00
download
Listen to the Story.

Since its creation in the 19th century, the Tube has never been a 24-hour service. Most lines close around midnight.

That's left generations of Londoners ending their evenings in a mad dash — like Cinderella — to make it on to the last Tube heading home.

Documentary photographers Orlando Gili and Joseph Fox and spent Friday night riding the Tube, capturing the extended-hours mood. Here's what they saw.

NightTube2016_Gili_01_web.jpg

(1:41 a.m.) It was quiet down the labyrinth like corridors of Oxford Circus in the early hours until the sound of giggles rang down from the escalators. Immediately heading to the foot of the stairwell, we captured this moment.

Credit:
Orlando Gili/PRI

NightTube2016_Fox_05_web.jpg

(2:30 a.m.) By 2:30 a.m., the Central Line trains were a hot place to be. After that, it was naptime for some. Beyond the party people were city folk back from working late.

Credit:
Joseph Fox/PRI

NightTube2016_Fox_03_web.jpg

(12:36 a.m.) Only 36 minutes into the first ever night service on the Central Line and some revellers were finding it all too exciting. In this image a man gazes at his phone while his friend is sick into a garbage liner pinched from the platform.

Credit:
Joseph Fox/PRI

NightTube2016_Gili_07_web.jpg

(3:14 a.m.) These two had just been on a night out in the West End and were on the way home. Moments before taking their portrait, a mouse darted out from the bench, causing a great fright. Their conclusion: Next time, Uber.

Credit:
Orlando Gili/PRI

NightTube2016_Gili_11_web.jpg

(4:29 a.m.) "I approached this group of rowdy punks on the Victoria Line train as it headed under the Thames toward north London," Gili says. "They were more than happy to act up toward the camera. They were on the way home after a big night out in south London. Drinking on the Tube has been officially banned, but that hasn't stopped drunken antics from occurring."

Credit:
Orlando Gili/PRI

NightTube2016_Gili_09_web.jpg

(2:57 a.m.) This Catalan couple had been out clubbing in Brixton. It was 3 a.m., and they were heading back across the river to sleep. It can take a while to travel across London but the Victoria line quickly links the fashionable areas of Brixton, the final station on the line in the south, and Walthamstow, the last station in the north.

Credit:
Orlando Gili/PRI

NightTube2016_Fox_07_web.jpg

(3:14 a.m.) As the night wore on the time for dancing shoes came and went. This woman clearly felt at ease as she rode the Central Line west in the direction of White City.

Credit:
Joseph Fox/PRI

NightTube2016_Fox_02_web.jpg

(4:09 a.m.) A passenger headed east takes a few moments to gather his thoughts while waiting for the next train to Hainault. During the night service trains ran at an average of 14 minute intervals, not the usual 3-4 minutes.

Credit:
Joseph Fox/PRI

NightTube2016_Fox_01_web.jpg

(4:45 a.m.) Bond street is all but deserted apart from a few stragglers who just manage to board the final night Tube of the morning. Usual service resumed at 5:40 a.m.

Credit:
Joseph Fox/PRI
http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-08-22/what-london-tube-looks-past-midnight

Here's more: http://londonist.com/2016/08/is-this-what-the-night-tube-will-look-like

Oddly enough, it is surprisingly packed. AoD
The nature of the UPX changes radically at peak, as many of us know, albeit when peak occurs on the UPX appears different than on GO for some reason I haven't quite figured out. Doubtless, the load profile on UPX is very dynamic, for a number of reasons.

It would be interesting to see what the breakdown of passengers is since becoming an extension of GO. There's still problems with integrating the GO Presto reader at the Skywalk location into the GO system at Union proper, a side-glitch to the passenger dynamic. (I've been asked by GO to not tap-on/off at Union if travelling through on GO, just tap on where entraining, and off at eventual train destination).

What I have found is that the 'office commuters' have a quite different spirit to those on the full sized GO, much more ready to smile and converse. Of course, knowing they're only travelling a few stops makes a huge difference. But the staff also set the tone on that, with rarely an exception, they're friendly and helpful. They really are 'cabin staff' in that respect.

Last edited:
No worries Steve I will continue to judge people on what I don't like them doing and you can continue to judge people on having different perspectives than yours and not being fun happy progressive people like Europeans.
Well, well...you stepped nicely into that one.

Dogs are allowed, but you rant against it, but in the Quiet Zone, noise from computers is allowed, but quiet conversation isn't? Take a bow Sir! Thank you for playing "Reveal my real meaning"! (Today's episode: "Do as I say, not as I do!")

Btw: Since when was "Quiet" the same as "Silence"? If you are having a quiet conversation, then it exactly meets the terms of the "Quiet Zone".

Feel absolutely free to post missives stating otherwise...

Allow me:

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/travelling/quietzone.aspx

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto...ll-talk-on-go-train-quiet-zone-the-fixer.html

No worries Steve I will continue to judge people on what I don't like them doing and you can continue to judge people on having different perspectives than yours and not being fun happy progressive people like Europeans.
You miss the point, it's what the *published rules state*, as opposed to your views.

Getting back to the original point, which I referenced pages back:
[...]
Each guest may bring a maximum of two dogs, cats, or other small animals on board free of charge. Dogs must be on a leash or in a carrier. Cats and other small animals must be in a pet carrier that allows room for the pet to stand or lie down with comfort.
[...]
https://www.upexpress.com/CustomerSupport/Faq

As a point of courtesy, I always ask, on the TTC or on the train: "Are you OK with dogs?" I don't want someone doing a conniption like some on this board. Frankly I have the right to tell *THEM* to move, but I wouldn't want the dog in my care to have to sit next to some miserable complainer, it might be catching. In the event, Big Black Lab now sits in the bottom of the luggage area, it's like a dog-house for him, and his toes are safe when there's traffic. I have a leash long enough to sit in the handicapped seating with him there (they are right next to each other) or I stand next to him if it is crowded, since I only go one stop and others need the seat more. When we get on, and I ask those around me, 29 times out of 30 it evokes a gushing of (or like) "can I pet him, he's beautiful!. We've got one that we left at home and we miss". And...wait for it...*happy conversation ensues* Oh the horror!

So if you don't like that, seems you're the odd one out, and I'm completely satisfying the rules. Many jurisdictions now allow dogs...and wait for it...*talking* in libraries. Some even encourage it, within reason. OMG! What will happen to our igloos? We might have to...gulp...*communicate* face-to-face!

What's so incredibly odd is those who demand silence on the trains and in libraries are the ones glued to their i-phones and i-pads most of their lives.

RBT: The rules are a bit of a mish-mash depending on the carrier. Most I've accessed so far allow dogs (in the Germanic countries) but charge for them! (I think this is fair, actually, as they do take space) Usually half price. Some require them to be muzzled. The Latin nations are a lot more lax about them, and in the UK, there's no problem at all. A proviso: I am comparing apples to oranges with the level of the carriers. Accessing the commuter operators presents a language problem in many cases, so I use the national carriers as a general litmus of social mores on the matter.

For SBB:
Offers for dogs.
hund.jpg

You don't want to leave man's best friend all alone at home while you go off for a day out by train? No problem: your trusty canine is welcome on our trains too.

General points.
Dogs of any size travelling in passenger carriages or luggage vans must always pay second-class half fare or the stipulated minimum fare (1-day travelpass for dogs, GA travelcard for dogs) if there is one.

Exception: small dogs up to 30 cm high at the top of their shoulder blades can travel with you free of charge as carriage hand luggage provided they are in a carrier, basket or other suitable container

Day Card for dogs.

If you are in possession of a valid ticket, your dog can enjoy unlimited travel by train, boat, Postbus and most Swiss urban public transport services for an entire day for just CHF 35.
Your faithful friend is therefore free to accompany you wherever you go for the entire day – just as if he or she had a General Abonnement.

GA travelcard for dogs.

If you take your dog on the train regularly, it will certainly be worthwhile buying a GA travelcard for dogs for CHF 780.

Miscellaneous.
1-day travelpasses for dogs and GAs travelcards for dogs are not valid for a particular class and can be used in both first and second class. However, the person accompanying the dog must hold a valid ticket for the appropriate class.

Carriage of animals in coaches offering meals and refreshments (with the exception of coaches served by a Minibar) is prohibited. This does not apply to guide dogs and assistance dogs.
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/dogs.html

Last edited:
lol and behold - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...mpaign-provokes-horror-among-london-commuters

If some killjoy *ever* bring this idea to TTC/GO

AoD
lol...I read that last night, and chuckled. My sojourns in London were incredibly lonely. "Stiff upper lip" still pervades Brit society, and much to the horror of my very English brothers "You don't just talk to anyone, they'll think you're odd and rude" I'd start up conversations on trains in the UK, and when I got off, everyone was talking and enjoying themselves! Nothing special on my part, save for North Am irreverence and panache. It's like getting on an elevator, and the silence is freakin' horrific. Say something, anything, because it breaks that crushing silence.

From the article, the one line that stuck with me, since it says far more than they intend:
“This sort of stuff is quite dangerous; we don’t want people to get confused." lol! Some things about the Brits are absolutely infuriating, but their love for animals is exemplary.

Last edited:
lol and behold - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...mpaign-provokes-horror-among-london-commuters

If some killjoy *ever* bring this idea to TTC/GO

AoD
I wrote my impressions of southern English mores on trains, and even being a Londoner by birth and early youth, commented as to how outsiders are often very different in being effusive and communicative. From the Daily Mail (just tripped across this pursuing another link, it's not my usual read) Lessons here for Toronto too, considered an unfriendly city by Cdn standards:
(Pics removed due to character limit of forum posts, click the link at bottom to view them)
Commuters DO want to ‘Tube chat’! Travellers are happy to strike up conversation with reporters wearing the controversial badges (but then most aren’t born-and-bred Londoners)
  • Jonathan Dunne divided opinion with his 'Tube Chat?' badges this week
  • MailOnline sent two reporters to try them out on the Victoria, Circle, District and Northern lines to see who would chat
  • Surprisingly, many asked what the badge meant and agreed it's time for Londoners to be friendlier in their everyday lives
By Rebecca Taylor For Mailonline

Published: 10:27 GMT, 1 October 2016 | Updated: 14:16 GMT, 1 October 2016
  • Commuters in London should talk to one another more, according to one American in Britain who has launched a campaign to get people to chat to one another.

Jonathan Dunne, originally from Colorado, is an NHS worker who came up with the idea after a work events day attracted very few people and he decided people should be friendlier to each other.

The indicator that a commuter is happy to talk is a badge bearing the words 'Tube chat?'

MailOnline sent two reporters to ride the rails and see how many people would talk to them, and how many would avoid them like the plague.

Reporter Naomi Ackerman hopped on the Victoria line and struck up conversations with her fellow commuters, who were more than happy to oblige.

Prem Patel, 24, approached her and asked about the badge.

He said he likes talking to people on the Tube.

City worker Mr Patel said: 'I enjoy talking to people on the Tube. I'm an open person. 'But London is not friendly enough yet, everyone quite closed, it is quite easy to ignore everyone - especially in crowds.

'But I think eventually people have to chat to each other.'

On other trains, people were less keen to have a chat, our reporter discovered

Maggy Clode told Naomi it was a good idea, but she could understand that people wouldn't want to chat during rush hour

Mary Conneely, 59, was also thrilled about the idea of a Tube chat badge.

She said: 'I think it's great. I'm from Yorkshire and I'm Irish so I love talking to people.

'Days are made better by small kindnesses so why not say hello to people?

'On the Tube the environment is alienating and loud, so maybe that puts people off. 'I'll talk to anyone if they want to.

'When there are delays I find people talk to each other more.

'But it shouldn't take a badge to make people talk to each other.'

Prem Patel, a city worker, told Naomi he liked the idea of people being chattier on the tubes when they were going to work

Maggy Clode, 69, had a mixed view. She likes talking to people on the Tube, but thinks if she had to commute daily in rush hour she would not be so keen.

Ms Clode said: 'I think the badge is a great idea - I talk to people on the tube anyway.

'But then I don't use the tube every day as I'm retired. If I got on it every day I think I might hate talking to people. But for me it's good.'

Meanwhile, reporter Rebecca Taylor tried out the Victoria line, Northern line, and Circle line as well as the Hammersmith and City and the District.

No sooner had she boarded the Victoria line than someone asked about the badge - a young woman who was London born and bred, and thinks we need to talk to each other more.

Off to a flying start, as straight away, someone wanted to speak about the badge and echoed Mr Dunne's view that people should talk more

On the next tube, a pair of older men asked what the badge was, and agreed it would be nicer to speak on the tube.

One was an American, on holiday in London before jetting off to Cologne, so perhaps not a true reflection of the capital.

On the Hammersmith and City line, no one was keen to talk, and it was the same story on the District line.

However, one woman did tell our reporter what she was reading - the Autobiography of a Yogi - and explain that she had just moved to London five days ago, from Singapore, to study.

Another man off to Heathrow to go on holiday was happy to tell our reporter about his upcoming travels and ask where she was from and where she was traveling.

38F7595F00000578-3816241-image-a-4_1475305646550.jpg

A common sight, as two tube users stare intently at their phones instead of chatting to fellow passengers
    (I left this pic and blurb in, as it *epitomizes* the behaviour rampant in the 'Quiet Zone' especially on GO trains)(Twitterati are so keen to claim they're 'in touch with the world' when in fact, it's the opposite)

Many of those who struck up or maintained conversations were either visiting London or not from the capital originally, which may have affected their willingness to talk.

But there were some people who happily chatted away, indicating that those who got angry on Twitter about the badges might not represent the whole.

Equally, lots of people looked awkwardly at the badge, and then away as quickly as possible, staring intently into their phones.

Mr Dunne handed out 500 badges on Wednesday and has been inundated with requests for more since the story took hold.

Speaking outside Seven Sisters station in north London, where no one was seen wearing a badge, the man behind the project, Mr Dunne said: 'I had no response at all when I first tried handing these out - it wasn't that fun to do.

'Then yesterday morning I came back to the office and saw three tweets about it, went for a meeting, came back at lunchtime to loads of tweets - and since then my phone hasn't stopped ringing.

'The reaction was initially really negative but it's now really positive.

'I had 50,000 messages last night on Facebook, most asking for badges and where to get them.

'I've heard TfL are after me, but I've not seen anything yet.'

Mr Dunne, 42, handed out the badges at Old Street station on Wednesday morning but said he did not really see reaction until Thursday midday when he had plenty of tweets and phone calls

The American is currently working for the NHS and London University on a project. He came up with the idea after a bad work social.

Mr Dunne explained: 'The idea started during the Olympics, in social thing at work. 'People were offered a half day off and no one showed up.

'And I was like people just need to be friendlier so thought I would start on the tube.'

Speaking about the counter campaign to make sure people don't talk to anyone, he said the people behind it would not be successful and called it 'lame'.

He added: 'If I were to do it again, maybe not go to Old Street.

'But overall it's been absolutely fantastic. I was discouraged at first as seemed everyone hated me but now I'm feeling happier.'

Last edited:
Have there been any new ridership stats for the UPX?
I am waiting too, as I'd like to see how the ridership momentum is, still.

As there was a huge surprise jump in the last quarterly stats that shows lots of unfinished momentum, I am more curious-than-usual about the latest ridership statistics. (Graph by Steve Munro showing ridership thru end of May).

upx_ridership_20160531.jpg

Back