Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

It still looks rather nice rather than tacky.

Paris RER C train, upper deck:

image.jpeg

(Keeping on UPX topic, the Paris RER B line is Paris' equivalent of UPX. Not nearly as fancy as these RER C trains, though.)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 838
Considered "gravy" by the anti-transit folks.

I respectively disagree with your comment. Can you please explain how this wallpaper has any relation to wanting or not wanting transit infrastructure?
I am all for expansion of LRT, Metro and what not, but to put throw money on fancy wallpaper when we dont even have enough to fund basic upgrades is simply foolhardy.
Im confident that my sentiment is mutual amongst other "transit supporters"

Reactions: vic
They certainly "designed UPX into a corner" with no solution except expensive modifications if Metrolinx ever wants trainset unification for UPX/RER. I suppose it is something that probably won't happen in the first cycle of EMU purchases, it'd initially end up being a compatible UPX EMU distinct from the other GO RER EMUs.
I was just thinking the exact same thing biking by Bloor station yesterday on the rail path. It just seems so redundant to have to design a station that should be a major node with two different platform heights. It's hard to imagine them not planning to use somewhat more compatible/flexible infrastructure.

On the plus side, it appears Henderson brewing has just opened up along the rail path a bit south of bloor station. We popped in for their soft open last weekend, and enjoyed the beer.

The door is still open to rolling UPX (during electrification) into the overall RER/ST plan.

image.jpeg

Time will tell...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,076
Between 5-6 PM today, I was sitting in the new establishment above the departure platform for UP express overlooking trains and departure platform below. In that time, all three trains , that i saw arrive and leave, looked packed. In one departure, i saw people barely squeezing into the doors as they were closing .

Did they drop the prices too much now?

BTW: i would say that 50 percent were carrying luggage or some kind of bag or knap sack

I walked passed the platform today and noticed people standing on the train.

And I think I saw some stanchions on the platform. I guess people are queuing up for the next train?

I have read of angst and anger and indignation over cost - the total capital cost, over fares - too high - too low - etc, over dust and diesel and other nonsense. The fuss from TTCRiders is petty beyond all belief. Actually - my opinion - it's OK if we have nice transit infrastructure and it doesn't all look like brutalist Soviet design.

My take. I think we should celebrate what is clearly an accomplishment; getting it built and into service. It's the first piece of new transit infrastructure on this scale in Toronto since 1979 (36 years folks) when the Spadina subway from St. George to Wilson opened. At that, it has been fifteen years since Blue 22 was proposed. (Google Wiki + Blue 22 if that doesn't mean anything.)

I take UPX regularly from Union to Pearson and back. It replaces car trips which last summer became very hairy during the insanity of HOV lanes + construction on the Gardiner. The first fare of $27 was stupidity. $9.00 with PRESTO is more than fair. I don't take the car to the airport any longer. If it's priced such that airport workers and commuters can take it, great. It has not been that exciting to come back home from a long trip like Hong Kong (15 hours) and find that I am standing in the aisle the past few times with a 50 lb suitcase. I doubt there is much future for the service at this extreme of crowding. I'll think of going back to the car or getting picked up since it's not the crowding, but the standing that bugs me.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the UPX is a seriously good thing about twenty years too late. We should all get on board finishing the ECLRT West (Eglinton Crosstown LRT western section from Mount Dennis to the airport which would bring another important regular service to the region. There is nothing wrong with basic service (airport rocket 192 -bus), better service (LRT to Mississauga transitway or Mount Dennis to the east) or express service to downtown depending on where we are coming from, and our budgets.

I'd like to see what the ridership numbers are now -- are they continuing to climb steadily and already into the 7000s? That means UPX is now getting better farebox recovery than before the fare cut.

If ridership, future spare corridor capacity (2031 projects 49trains/hr thru Union), and economics warrants, a 12-minute EMU frequency with an all-3-coach high-door EMU fleet, possibly even double deck may even be warranted.

They will need to electrify this train anyway, so they should plan for bigger capacity trains (even if distinct from low-door RER trains) integrated into RER/ST/GO

doesn't the increased demand basically say if this thing was drl west that it would be a huge success? it sounds like the bulk of the passengers are commuters rather than airport users. And even so if you added half a dozen stations it would still be the fastest way to the airport.

doesn't the increased demand basically say if this thing was drl west that it would be a huge success? it sounds like the bulk of the passengers are commuters rather than airport users. And even so if you added half a dozen stations it would still be the fastest way to the airport.
ML have stated repeatedly that since the price reduction has dropped and the passenger volumes have increased that the majority of passengers are still airport passengers....and a few posts up someone making observations of packed trains noted that most people he saw were carrying the sort of bags that would indicate they were airport passengers....so not sure where you get the bolded part

Commuter ridership will continue to remain low. Very fe people live at Weston station or Bloor West which means they have to take the bus/subway to get there............on other words a TTC & UPX fare which few will part with the kind of money everyday. People are price sensitive as GO's lousy ridership numbers in Toronto can attest.

For Pearson workers it also is still too expensive. If they were to bring immediate fare integration then ridership would double or triple overnight and probably quadruple if they were to open an Etobicoke North station.

They should use the UPX as a study case for the introduction of Smart Tracks. What they should do is run the service at a TTC fare with TTC integration for even a couple months. They could then find out how many people will really use a ST system.

There are many tracks in the corridor. We can run 2 trains!

Demand more service; not different service.

Last edited:
I walked passed the platform today and noticed people standing on the train.

And I think I saw some stanchions on the platform. I guess people are queuing up for the next train?

It has not been that exciting to come back home from a long trip like Hong Kong (15 hours) and find that I am standing in the aisle the past few times with a 50 lb suitcase. I doubt there is much future for the service at this extreme of crowding. I'll think of going back to the car or getting picked up since it's not the crowding, but the standing that bugs me.

I bet that in all the instances we're hearing about overcrowding, it was a 2-car train. If we can get better reliability out of the trainsets, we could run entirely 3-car trains, which should resolve the overcrowding at least for the next few years.

ML have stated repeatedly that since the price reduction has dropped and the passenger volumes have increased that the majority of passengers are still airport passengers....and a few posts up someone making observations of packed trains noted that most people he saw were carrying the sort of bags that would indicate they were airport passengers....so not sure where you get the bolded part
and we are expected to believe Metrolinx?

Back