Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

The funny thing is that of all the Metrolinx lines, the UP Express is the one with the most fair case for provincial subsidization. By connecting Pearson to the intercity train and bus networks, it makes Pearson much more accessible to people in places like Ottawa, Kingston, Kitchener, London etc.

Metrolinx should have taken a clue that the original Blue-22 proposal called for a 22-minute trip (3 minutes less) for $20 ($7.50 less than non-Presto). Instead, they gave Weston opposition a token station and are trying to gouge non-GTA travellers.

The Union Pearson Express has the potential of being a good service, but the intermediate stations and price levels doomed it to the crap ridership it is experiencing now. Whoever advised them that people would be willing to pay $19-27.50 for a 25-minute ride may have designed the economic formulas properly, but cocked up the assumption of how people value their money and time.

It should be noted that when $20 when Blue22 was proposed is equivalent to about $25 today thanks to inflation.

I believe their biggest mistake was advertising the fare as $27. They should call it $19 and make it explicit that you need a Presto. Different price psychologically. Heck, they can even charge the full $27 for those that don't want to by the Presto. Now, many people have it in their heads that the cost is $27, which it never should be for anyone.

I believe their biggest mistake was advertising the fare as $27. They should call it $19 and make it explicit that you need a Presto. Different price psychologically. Heck, they can even charge the full $27 for those that don't want to by the Presto. Now, many people have it in their heads that the cost is $27, which it never should be for anyone.
If the train was intended for business people, especially visitors to Toronto, they're not going to have a Presto card. Why all the bother with the Presto card? There shouldn't be any discount for Presto, beyond the tiny savings on the TTC vs. cash fare.

Just find the tipping point on price that fills the seats and set the price there.

Honestly, is there anyone who understands simple supply and demand economics at Metrolinks? It doesn't even matter if you're losing money at the lower price, since you'll be losing less than you are now.

Good point. I was amazed when they announced it would only be $19. And further amazed by all the whining, despite being cheaper than promised during the Chretien/Eves governments.
And on much more modern/comfy/expensive trains than Blue22 proposed t use.

The competition today is the likes of Uber. Takes longer. But far more comfortable and door-to-door service with no lugging of luggage around train platforms. Uber is automatically cheaper too if more than one person is travelling. The differential pricing of non-GTA travelers, many of whom may well be accustomed to calling Uber doesn't help.

This thing should be priced at $15 flat. No discounts for Presto users. They already have the convenience of quick and easy payment. That's the benefit. At most give Presto users a free transfer to/from the TTC.

The funny thing is that of all the Metrolinx lines, the UP Express is the one with the most fair case for provincial subsidization. By connecting Pearson to the intercity train and bus networks, it makes Pearson much more accessible to people in places like Ottawa, Kingston, Kitchener, London etc.

Those cities all have feeder flights or airport bus services into Pearson. They won't be going into downtown Toronto to take the UPE.

It'll be $27 to the businessperson who lands in Toronto from a foreign country and has no clue what this Presto card is. And will also learn that Presto is accepted at some subway stations but not others, and on some streetcars but not other bus and streetcar routes. So he/she will just decide to cab. We really shouldn't be trying to gouge visitors.

If the train was intended for business people, especially visitors to Toronto, they're not going to have a Presto card. Why all the bother with the Presto card? There shouldn't be any discount for Presto, beyond the tiny savings on the TTC vs. cash fare.

Just find the tipping point on price that fills the seats and set the price there.

Honestly, is there anyone who understands simple supply and demand economics at Metrolinks? It doesn't even matter if you're losing money at the lower price, since you'll be losing less than you are now.

Exactly. They thought demand would pick up with awareness. They never figured that it was price, not awareness that was the issue.

I live not too far from Weston stop but on our return trip back from Italy this sept the 3 of us in our family took a taxi home for $36. And it was to our house whereas at weston we would need to call family unless we wanted to go on the bus with luggage. I mean I know 19.00 is cheap but still works out to be more for a family of 3 and up

I live not too far from Weston stop but on our return trip back from Italy this sept the 3 of us in our family took a taxi home for $36. And it was to our house whereas at weston we would need to call family unless we wanted to go on the bus with luggage. I mean I know 19.00 is cheap but still works out to be more for a family of 3 and up
What is the fare from Pearson to Weston?

Pearson to Weston is not $19, but rather $11.40. Do you have children under 13? (they would be free)

The competition today is the likes of Uber. Takes longer. But far more comfortable and door-to-door service with no lugging of luggage around train platforms. Uber is automatically cheaper too if more than one person is travelling. The differential pricing of non-GTA travelers, many of whom may well be accustomed to calling Uber doesn't help.

This thing should be priced at $15 flat. No discounts for Presto users. They already have the convenience of quick and easy payment. That's the benefit. At most give Presto users a free transfer to/from the TTC.
well the thing is, once the Crosstown west is up and running to Pearson with I am assuming TTC fare (but by then fare zone or something will be in effect) but I think still cheaper than $19.00 and at that time, what to do with UPX.

Pearson to Weston is not $19, but rather $11.40. Do you have children under 13? (they would be free)
Most Torontonians don't have Presto cards, so you may have to add the cost for that. Ends up being the same as a taxi (even if the 3rd passenger was free), with the taxi being way more convenient.

Nope. So it would have saved us $1.80 but then would mean we would need to buy Presto card (I am assuming its with Presto but I could be wrong). And that's the other thing, why not advertise its cheaper from Weston which we always assumed but did not know the actual price. For overseas trips, unless I can walk to a station (i.e Crosstown) and when Mt Dennis becomes a stop for the UPX and Weston stop ceases to exist, its different. But then again I don't think I want to advertise our house will be empty by walking up the street with luggage (paranoid)

Nope. So it would have saved us $1.80 but then would mean we would need to buy Presto card (I am assuming its with Presto but I could be wrong). And that's the other thing, why not advertise its cheaper from Weston which we always assumed but did not know the actual price. For overseas trips, unless I can walk to a station (i.e Crosstown) and when Mt Dennis becomes a stop for the UPX and Weston stop ceases to exist, its different. But then again I don't think I want to advertise our house will be empty by walking up the street with luggage (paranoid)
Where do you want them to advertise the prices?
With a couple of clicks, I found the fares information here: https://www.upexpress.com/Tickets/Tickets

Back