Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I was really surprised wandering around Union Station the other day, that the signage consisted of those UP signs - but STILL nothing mentioning the airport.

You should visit Shanghai and take the Maglev. They have a model of the train and track in the station at the airport station, videos of the construction and how maglev works, and even a museum for the line.
It's an awesome train. It also costs $6.40 one/way if you have a flight that day. Now at 431 km/hr, it would be fun to compare the cost per km/hr to the UPX ;)

Speaking of wayfinding.... I've noticed that inside of Dundas West TTC station there's now a fair amount of signage directing people to Bloor GO/UP, but there's nothing a Bloor GO/UP to direct people to the subway.

I've been seeing people walking with suitcases from the UP station to Dundas West....so at least not everybody is getting lost.....but.... over the years I've had to provide directions to GO customers looking for the subway, and this will likely increase with UP in service.

The transit people in Toronto have no clue about wayfinding and signage. They are so concerned about using their transit logos and they think everybody knows what it stands for. Instead of using standards symbols for a bus or train, they use their logos and just end up confusing people who are not familiar with the system. The transit systems are more concerned with their branding and what we get is a convoluted mess. Seems Metrolinx is looking into at least attempting to solve this.

Speaking of wayfinding.... I've noticed that inside of Dundas West TTC station there's now a fair amount of signage directing people to Bloor GO/UP, but there's nothing a Bloor GO/UP to direct people to the subway.

I have gotten off of KW corridor GO trains at Bloor twice in the last month and have definitely seen signage to the TTC

I was really surprised wandering around Union Station the other day, that the signage consisted of those UP signs - but STILL nothing mentioning the airport.

While I agree that saying airport in the signage is a good idea....I am not sure this is a huge issue. If not for UP no one would be going to Union to get to the airport anyway....so, presumably, anyone at Union that is trying to get to Pearson is doing so because they heard/read about UP...no?

Is there a large population of people randomly walking around Union that might just see a sign that says "Airport" that would then go to the airport?

While I agree that saying airport in the signage is a good idea....I am not sure this is a huge issue. If not for UP no one would be going to Union to get to the airport anyway....so, presumably, anyone at Union that is trying to get to Pearson is doing so because they heard/read about UP...no?

Is there a large population of people randomly walking around Union that might just see a sign that says "Airport" that would then go to the airport?

I don't think that's a way to look at it. You have to design something so that someone who it not familiar with the system and how things work can be able to use it. You can't just assume that everyone at Union who is going to Pearson has heard of UP. You don't need a large population who falls in that group.

I don't think that's a way to look at it. You have to design something so that someone who it not familiar with the system and how things work can be able to use it. You can't just assume that everyone at Union who is going to Pearson has heard of UP. You don't need a large population who falls in that group.

If I "assume" anything it is that anyone going to Pearson would have done some basic research on how to get there and would see the options presented to them and that "UP" is one of them. I just have a hard time thinking that there would be (m)any that would just randomly/arbitrarily wander down to Union to find out.

Like i said, I am not opposed to the idea of putting the words Trains to Airport into signage....I just don't see the fact that they haven't as causing much confusion.

It's an awesome train. It also costs $6.40 one/way if you have a flight that day. Now at 431 km/hr, it would be fun to compare the cost per km/hr to the UPX ;)
Let's build a 19 kilometer UPX II maglev tunnel. :D
With the same tech the Japanese is doing.

19-kilometer-high-speed-train-subway-png.48437

The straight-line between downtown and Pearson is only 19km.

Pearson in 5 minutes, baby! Too bad it'd cost $25bn+

Last edited:

Unfortunately, it seems to max out at 300km/hour now. It's definitely a good experience, but its in no way convenient as it doesn't even take you into Shanghai. It drops you off at a subway station in Pudong.

I have gotten off of KW corridor GO trains at Bloor twice in the last month and have definitely seen signage to the TTC

I think there's signage up on the Railpath where you would access/leave the GO system. It just points towards Bloor St. But nothing if you leave the main UP station entrance on Bloor to guide you towards Dundas West station. If you're not already familiar, do you turn left or right when leaving the station?

Has anyone been on the UPX since the free ride launch? What does ridership look like so far?

I asked that question at the customer service desk at Pearson station. They said it varies greatly depending on the time of day. When I was there I saw only 4 people get off the train, but other times it's much busier.

Pearson in 5 minutes, baby! Too bad it'd cost $25bn+

How about a trebuchet built off the side of the CN Tower? Get the counterweight right and it could be a very speedy flight to Pearson. You'd have a pretty good view of the city too.

Back