Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Perhaps they will consider time-of-day fare adjustments (highest 7am-7 pm or something) in addition to other fare types (family, multi-use and child). Then they could have more full trains off-peak -- they are running them anyway so they may as well try to maximize off peak use. We won't know until they anounce the fares at the end of the year.

Last edited:
There will be peak periods, and metrolinx is expecting ridership to grow to a 10% market share in 3 years, or 3.6 million annual users, which works out to 10,000 daily users. 5,000 is only opening year.

As predicted, here is the public outrage over UPX. This is just the beginning:

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...yees_outraged_at_steep_airportlink_fares.html

I wish people would at least wait for Metrolinx to release fare details before getting so upset over UPX.

230 comments on that star article and it's only been up for a few hours. If that serves as a gauge for how angry people are... Well then they're pretty damn angry. It's very, very rare that they Star articles get so many comments.
400 comments!

Last edited:
Yay so much outrage... over something that hasn't even been decided or announced yet!

LOL... they haven't said what the prices will be. Will there be riots on the streets when the prices are actually announced?

The question is, why in Toronto it is this expensive while other cities can offer more affordable prices?

Let's not compare with London or Chicago. The Leonardo express in Rome charges 14 euros, or $20, and or $16 if you buy 10. That's a more reasonable price I'd love to pay. The airport is 35km from central Rome, even farther away than Pearson.

If the price ends up high than $25 closer to $30, that's just absolutely insane. I don't care about group/family/senior/student discounts. That's just distraction pretending it is not as expensive. Yes the price is not announced, but people didn't get angry based on nothing. There were sources indicating it would be very unlikely to be under $20, and plus if it were affordable, Metrolinks should have dispel the rumours a long time ago (something like "we are still finalizing the price but it won't likely be that unaffordable." I am glad there is such outrage because it give them the pressure to lower the price as much as they can.

Last edited:
400 comments!

The star now has another story with the results of their poll about how much people think it should cost

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...nt_to_pay_20_or_less_for_pearson_express.html

thestar said:
Forty-six per cent of voters said the ticket should cost $10 or less and about 38 per cent thought it should cost between $10 and $20. Less than 4 per cent said it should cost $20 to $30 and a mere 1 per cent voted that a one-way ticket should be priced at $30 to $40.

84% seem to think it should be under $20 5% above $20 and while it is not stated, I guess 11% don't know/don't care.

I am sure this will fuel the "its way overpriced" discussion but I wonder if public opinion is the right way to decide the price of anything.....if you were asked how much you think going to a movie should cost....do you think there might be a tendancy to come in lower than what Cineplex thinks? Milk might be a good place to start voting on pricing? Bread? Gasoline?

I am not a huge fan of the Star but this sort of public outrage piece (with no attempt to explain the impact of pricing...ie - your taxes may go up if the fare is lower to subsidize the losses or the trains are small (by necessity) so ttc type pricing might mean huge/unsafe crushes on the trains) serves very little purpose.

The question is, why in Toronto it is this expensive while other cities can offer more affordable prices?

Let's not compare with London or Chicago. The Leonardo express in Rome charges 14 euros, or $20, and or $16 if you buy 10. That's a more reasonable price I'd love to pay. The airport is 35km from central Rome, even farther away than Pearson.

And is, remarkably, in the range (albeit the bottom of it) of the unattributed price range that came from somewhere other than ML that is causing all this outrage.

I think a lot of this rage has to do with Metrolinx advertising this project as a premium service for business elites, with luxurioius amenities such like Wifi and comfortable seats. It felt like a big "f*ck you" to everyone else.

I think a lot of this rage has to do with Metrolinx advertising this project as a premium service for business elites, with luxurioius amenities such like Wifi and comfortable seats. It felt like a big "f*ck you" to everyone else.

And if Metrolinx raised taxes or spent public money subsidizing fares to lower them, then you'd get more public outrage.

"Why am I paying taxes for a train I'll never use?!?!? RAWRR!"

And is, remarkably, in the range (albeit the bottom of it) of the unattributed price range that came from somewhere other than ML that is causing all this outrage.

when the range is $20-30, one should certainly know it is very unlikely to be close to the lower range (under which case they would say $15-20).
I bet it will be at least $25 for a regular one way. More likely $26-28.

Think about it, even the damn slow moving airport bus costs $27, and since when Toronto misses a single chance to gouge its people in price (think about prices for TTC, AGO/Casa Loma, Island fare, all that stuff).

Last edited:

since when wifi and comfortable seats constitute "premium" service? Isn't Canada supposed to be a wealthy country?

The star now has another story with the results of their poll about how much people think it should cost

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...nt_to_pay_20_or_less_for_pearson_express.html

84% seem to think it should be under $20 5% above $20 and while it is not stated, I guess 11% don't know/don't care.

I am sure this will fuel the "its way overpriced" discussion but I wonder if public opinion is the right way to decide the price of anything.....if you were asked how much you think going to a movie should cost....do you think there might be a tendancy to come in lower than what Cineplex thinks? Milk might be a good place to start voting on pricing? Bread? Gasoline?

I am not a huge fan of the Star but this sort of public outrage piece (with no attempt to explain the impact of pricing...ie - your taxes may go up if the fare is lower to subsidize the losses or the trains are small (by necessity) so ttc type pricing might mean huge/unsafe crushes on the trains) serves very little purpose.
You are right, this is the suns forte honestly.

And if Metrolinx raised taxes or spent public money subsidizing fares to lower them, then you'd get more public outrage.

"Why am I paying taxes for a train I'll never use?!?!? RAWRR!"

Well now most people won't use this.

when the range is $20-30, one should certainly know it is very unlikely to be close to the lower range (under which case they would say $15-20).
I bet it will be at least $25 for a regular one way. More likely $26-28.

First off....you seem to be missing the part where no one at ML has ever said that was the range....in fact every chance they get they remind people they have never said it.

Second....if I was introducing a product and knew at the onset that I was gonna charge $20 for it and had to (for some strange reason) announce a preliminary range (which, again, ML has not done) the last thing I would do would say "it will be between $15-$20"....if you do that and then set the price at $20 you look like you charged the absolute maximum that you could.

If, however, you announced a preliminary range (which, again, ML has not done) of $20 - $30 and then came out with $20 pricing you could follow up with "we did our absolute best to deliver the lowest possible price the consumer".

Think about it, even the damn slow moving airport bus costs $27, and since when Toronto misses a single chance to gouge its people in price (think about prices for TTC, AGO/Casa Loma, Island fare, all that stuff).

And since those buses were seldom even close to empty (although the worse traffic and congestion got the emptier they got....ie the less predictable the travel times) those buses serve as a pretty good barometer of what the travelling public (the non business, touristy travelling public) was willing to pay to get to the airport.....add in the business traveller (who likely seldom took those buses) and you really are getting to understand that the claims made in the star that the trains will run empty are, frankly, ludicrous.

Back