Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Is it possible they get the reused ties that the frieght companies don't want? I read some business about a contract accusing CN of overcharging GO and providing substandard work.

There is a market for used ties, but they are not allowed for mainline work.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Concrete ties vs. wood,steel and composite tie types...

Concrete ties do last longer and are more resistive of train forces, which means that the track doesn't need to be maintained quite as much.

They are, conversely, far, far more expensive than wood, steel or plastic/composite ties, and because they weigh more the need very specialized equipment to install and replace them. As well, they are more likely to get damaged in a derailment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dan and everyone:
I am a proponent of using concrete ties on rail tracks but as I have learned they do have their drawbacks...

What Amtrak and the Long Island Rail Road have learned is that if concrete ties are manufactured with sub-standard
concrete they will not hold up over time to the daily wear-and-tear of train traffic and they will need to be replaced far
earlier then the potential 50 year lifespan that they are supposed to have...They have both needed to replace concrete
tie segments with newer updated ties and I will add that for concrete ties to hold up well they need good ballast/roadbed...

Concrete ties are usually placed in track by a "track laying system" or TLS which replaces the older and installs the newer
ties (and welded rail) in one operation on a given track...In many cases wood ties are changed out in date intervals - on
the LIRR wood tie replacement is usually scheduled every 5 years on average on a specific track or tracks...

Steel ties are good for applications in which wood or concrete is impractical such as in tunnels or on switches depending on
the location and I do feel that composite ties have their place and are potentially a reasonable cost alternative to wood or concrete
See: www.tietek.net as an example - I will add that the LIRR is using them on some lines intermingled with wood ties...

Yes-concrete ties are likely to be damaged in a derailment: The recent MNCR derailment at Spuyten Duyvil occurred on tracks that
used concrete ties - and afterwards the damaged ties were replaced with wood ties in that area and nearby where a CSX freight train
derailment happened this past summer...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Anyone know what was in the bill?

twitter said:
Ashley Csanady ‏@AshleyCsanady 1m

Holy free vote batman! MPPs from both Tories and Liberal benches just broke ranks to vote with @jonahschein electrification bill #onpoli

UP express inside Toronto Pearson station. photo by Metrolinx
a0on.jpg

Attachments

• a0on.jpg
    a0on.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,067
Last edited:
Finally found time to check somethings out that I have not seen in the last 4/5 months.

Bloor:
Forming is underway for the new entrance and road bed mats are on site.

No work on the platforms has taken place since my last visit, but some rebar in the ground south of the current temporary platform.

Old Weston Rd/Diamond
The tops of the 2 retaining walls are complete with bracing in place.

Some work has started on the west retaining wall for tunnel 2 south of CP tracks. The retaining wall on the Old Weston Rd bridge has yet to be finish.

I understand most of the floor and all the retaining walls in the tunnel 1 has yet to be pour. If this is the case, then moving the current line to the flyunder will not take place in March as plan. The walls still can be pour once the the line is move since there will be no trains there during the day like there is now and no big deal.

The one thing I noticed was there was no back filling if the west side of the west retaining was as plan when the deck spans moves took place. Save them work when it come time to build the next set of deck span for the other tunnel. Also time and money not doing it since there was more than enough room for the bed of the current line.

Black Creek.
All the bridges are 100% completed.

A new switch has been installed on the south side of the bridges as there is a new bypass track being built from it going over into CP MacTier Sub corridor. I expect this bypass track will go south to the St Clair Area to allow the current corridor road bed to be rebuilt 100%. Crews were working on the new track. New 4 track signal Mast in place south of Rogers Rd.

Denison Rd
I don't think this grade separation road will be finish this year as it is still in the same condition as it was in the spring of 2013. Metrolinx may have an issue with the contractor and the reason for the delay.

New duel side 4 track mast north of the road.

Weston Station
Most of the new south tunnel for the new platform is built, but no work on the platform or the tunnel going east.

The map shows the north tunnel going to the east side of the corridor being completed in 2013, but it is not. They are rebuilding the tunnel entrance wall now since they have relocated the sales office to the church property.

The north end of the new platform has precast decking on the support piers.

King-Church Flyunder.
The new King St bridge is open and that was fast since there was no support for it the last time I saw the area. Retaining walls going up south of King St with most of it in place south of John St. John Street has most of the floor in for the flyunder. With Church St closed now, the area is 100% graded. The area north of Church is graded for the floor slab to be pour.

The lost time for this area is almost back on schedule.

Weston Rd Bridge
Traffic is using the new lower level southbound lanes as the northbound have yet to be lower.

The only thing that remains of the old bridge is the footing for the centre pier and the east retaining wall. The new west retaining wall is completed. A big different look with the new bridge in place and the old one gone.

Lot more up on site
11929204476_5c57fb3a56_b.jpg

11928626983_637e9ce077_b.jpg

11928754054_6a2beda06e_b.jpg

11929149346_a365de0595_b.jpg

11928282305_8b97537b0c_b.jpg

11928558843_47a763b9de_b.jpg

11928831144_8cc46b72b7_b.jpg

11928841764_6e7d8133df_b.jpg

11928401545_bc7b8a51ab_b.jpg

11929272786_24cbc934ce_b.jpg

11928693593_95e73e41ca_b.jpg

11929295756_7ff8208745_b.jpg

11928898754_6286748484_b.jpg

11928449775_25d848cb94_b.jpg

11929309196_f70d459321_b.jpg

11928934164_12224b6492_b.jpg

11928486635_612f6ed639_b.jpg

11927850385_143a1f7c5f_b.jpg

11928767656_e967d9ce63_b.jpg

11928368844_051ff0be48_b.jpg

Great update - thanks drum!

With regards to the train-ties issue. This is something that has bothered me for a number of years. Yes, like lots of things concrete ties cost more, but if they are made to the same standards mandated by the EU, you will not have any of the issues experienced by Amtrak a few years back. Furthermore, they are far more stable, have longer lifespan and are generally more environmentally friendly - not to mention, safer. A number of years ago my father met a German businessman, who was in Toronto selling the city/province on concrete rail ties from Germany. Needless to say, he left the country utterly frustrated and dismayed by the near-nearsightedness of Canadians. Ultimately, if we haven't debated the life out of the idea or proposal, we will turn to the status-quo method of "it's good-enough, oh and - it will last the few years I am in government. That is what we are faced with here. Zero political will, due to cost - "build cheap, maintain expensive" one of my profs once said!

p5

With regards to the train-ties issue. This is something that has bothered me for a number of years. Yes, like lots of things concrete ties cost more, but if they are made to the same standards mandated by the EU, you will not have any of the issues experienced by Amtrak a few years back. Furthermore, they are far more stable, have longer lifespan and are generally more environmentally friendly - not to mention, safer. A number of years ago my father met a German businessman, who was in Toronto selling the city/province on concrete rail ties from Germany. Needless to say, he left the country utterly frustrated and dismayed by the near-nearsightedness of Canadians. Ultimately, if we haven't debated the life out of the idea or proposal, we will turn to the status-quo method of "it's good-enough, oh and - it will last the few years I am in government. That is what we are faced with here. Zero political will, due to cost - "build cheap, maintain expensive" one of my profs once said!

p5

The issues that Amtrak had a number of years ago notwithstanding, they do have their drawbacks, which is why they aren't used everywhere. Hell, I guess you can consider that issue with a huge number of faulty ties another potential drawback of using concrete ties, although it is a bit of one-off situation and not likely to repeat itself. The fact of the matter is that a crew of 10 guys can go out and lay 2 or 3 miles of track in a day using almost exclusively hand tools if they are using wood ties - that is simply impossible if using concrete ties. The work is a lot more mechanized by necessity, and while that normally means that it would be cheaper, not every railroad owns the equipment capable of dealing with concrete ties.

That's why wood had remained so prevalent in North America (more in Canada than in the US), and why plastic ties - which offer many of the same benefits as wood ties as well as being far longer lasting - are becoming more and more popular.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks for the photos, drum.

Is the clearance for this bridge 4.2m? Considering that it was a total rebuild, why not just raise the bridge (or lower the road) to accommodate the standard 4.4 m clearance?

11928282305_8b97537b0c_b.jpg

That's why wood had remained so prevalent in North America (more in Canada than in the US), and why plastic ties - which offer many of the same benefits as wood ties as well as being far longer lasting - are becoming more and more popular.

Never cared much for concrete ties, the difference is not probably significant enough to be noticeable by the casual rider but when you spend hundreds of hours on them each year you really notice the rougher ride and increased vibrations. Like smallspy said, the optimal solution would be plastic ties. Although it seems they still haven't made their way to Canada just yet. For now its just another one of those railway improvements I'm impatiently waiting for.

Back