Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Theoretically, Piers A, B, C and D will be where T3 currently is. You can see an illustration of this theoretical full build-out in one of the old GTAA master planning documents from around when T1 was first being planned and built. (the current one doesn't really cover T3 replacement). I doubt it will ever happen though.

Theoretically, Piers A, B, C and D will be where T3 currently is. You can see an illustration of this theoretical full build-out in one of the old GTAA master planning documents from around when T1 was first being planned and built. (the current one doesn't really cover T3 replacement). I doubt it will ever happen though.
Quite probably not ever built - the new piers on top of where Terminal 2 used to be would have to come first. And who knows if we'll need the full capacity in the future they have forecast.

But it's always good to have a plan.

The question is:

Should there be a central transit terminal at YYZ for: Express train to downtown (ARL), local GO service, Eglinton LRT, Finch LRT.

Alternative is for Eglinton LRT to end at Mississauga BRT (Commerce Blvd), Finch LRT to end at Malton GO (or a new Woodbine GO) and the people mover go from one to the other.

The question is:

Should there be a central transit terminal at YYZ for: Express train to downtown (ARL), local GO service, Eglinton LRT, Finch LRT.

Alternative is for Eglinton LRT to end at Mississauga BRT (Commerce Blvd), Finch LRT to end at Malton GO (or a new Woodbine GO) and the people mover go from one to the other.

I prefer the latter [MAP]. Airport RT trains could be built so they are able to handle baggage better than the transit City LRVs. It also provides a good Kiss+Ride/GO Transfer Station at the 401 if the airport shuttle is included in the ticket cost by the GTAA.

Eventually, I hope the ARL evolves into a more-local electrified HRT line with frequent Express GO rail shifted out to a High-Speed Rail Hub at Malton Station.

^nice work, dunkalunk.

The airport RT might be quite a shuttle service, since it connects the Malton hub with the Renforth hub as well as the airport itself. From your proposed Malton and Renforth hubs you are within a one-seat rapid transit ride of many major nodes in the Western GTA.

I prefer the latter [MAP]. Airport RT trains could be built so they are able to handle baggage better than the transit City LRVs. It also provides a good Kiss+Ride/GO Transfer Station at the 401 if the airport shuttle is included in the ticket cost by the GTAA.

Eventually, I hope the ARL evolves into a more-local electrified HRT line with frequent Express GO rail shifted out to a High-Speed Rail Hub at Malton Station.

I think the map you show is exactly what I have been wanting for a long time....I do think, though, that the exact oposite is likely to happen....ie. the ARL continues as an express line and the "local" service will be provided by the GO line connection at Malton.

Currently the Weston area has 45 diesel trains running by every day and that figure includes GO, VIA, and CN. In just 3 short years that figure is going to soar to 206.
Do you accept that it might be considered a somewhat misleading argument to compare 45 multi-thousand horsepower locomotives, some of them not even Tier 2 in the case of CN, CP and VIA, to 3-car DMU sets whose engines are comparable to those of large buses or trucks?

It's in the 2009 Environmental Assessment - http://goweb02.gotransit.com/gts/en/resources/archive.aspx

There's a simple map in Figure 2.2-1 - http://goweb02.gotransit.com/gts/en/docs/finalEPR/2-2-1.pdf

And there's a detailed set of figures in Appendix I showing the exact location in detail. The approach to the airport are in the final figures - http://goweb02.gotransit.com/gts/en/docs/finalEPR/AppendixI_24-35.pdf - but be warned, the files is about 39 MB, the figures don't seem to be in the right order, and there isn't actually a Figure 35. But you can see the entire alignment if you put all the figures together.

Some months ago I'd heard that after Metrolinx took the project over from SNC Lavalin they went back to the drawing board and redesigned parts of the spur. The servicing yard was dropped (because Metrolinx already had one) and the alignment was adjusted to cut out some of those brutal roller coaster grades that SNC Lavalin had included. (Which would make it more accessible to more types of trains, I guess, but because the station at the end of the line will never fit a GO Train it's a little surprising it was a priority.)

I had wondered if this was another case of some transit fan once saying "they really should do x" and somewhere in the broken telephone pass-along it becomes "they are doing x", but I passed by the site this week and what I saw then compared to those 2009 plans seems to validate the story. Pillars are going in from the Kitchener line junction at least as far down as the turn at the 427/409 interchange. In figure 32, that spot was supposed to be an at-grade segment leading to a dive under Network Road, but the line that's appearing now looks like it'll stay elevated (in fact, maybe even keep climbing, but kind of hard to be sure from a moving car) and go over it instead.

Craig's map also looks subtly different from the EA one in a few other places (the guideway seems a little further east coming across the Airport Road interchange), so I don't know if that's a case of UT getting insider information or not being able to hit AutoCAD-level accuracy when drawing by hand in Google Maps.

Rather shamelessly bumping an old post of mine. I was out near the airport yesterday and threw in a little detour to have another look at the spur.

It can now be said definitively that there's been a redesign somewhere along the way, because it's abundantly obvious that what's been built doesn't match the old plans. We're getting one long elevated guideway so the trains go up in the air and stay up... no diving down to below grade and climbing back up again like used to be the case. (Unfortunately, I left my 50 m-long spirit level at home so I couldn't shimmy up one of the pillars, throw it across to the next one, and measure exactly how steep the climb will be for the trains on the revised route.)

In terms of progress, pillars are now poured and out of their forms all the way from where the spur branches from the existing line up to Viscount Road beside the enormous parking structure. Based on a map I would estimate that means a bit more than 2/3 of them are now in. You have to assume the pace at which they'll finish off the rest of the pillars will be slowing a little, though, as some of these remaining ones look to be twice as tall as some of the ones further back, and it can't be quite so easy to construct them the middle of that mess of highway ramps.

Last edited:

I wish I could locate that old Master Plan from '99 as it did look well past T3. 9/11 and SARS took a bite out of YYZ's growth since that plan.

However I've never been able to locate that Plan from '99 just to compare to the current plan. If anyone has a link to it or a copy please let me know.

I wish I could locate that old Master Plan from '99 as it did look well past T3. 9/11 and SARS took a bite out of YYZ's growth since that plan.

However I've never been able to locate that Plan from '99 just to compare to the current plan. If anyone has a link to it or a copy please let me know.
Trolling through old versions of the website at Archive.org I think you can download most of it from:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040612.../Index.aspx?Sid=Node7/Node7.3/Node7.3.5&Tpl=1

The old Master Plan webpage was http://www.gtaa.com/Index.aspx?Sid=Node7/Node7.3/Node7.3.5&Tpl=1

I was doing some field work in Brampton the other week and had to take the 427. Looks like work is really coming along on this project. I noticed all the columns to support the raised track spur are up. It's going to be quite high! Hopefully we'll see some active pictures soon.

Back