Toronto Union Park | 303.26m | 58s | Oxford Properties | Pelli Clarke Pelli

Those that solely stay in the city because of their jobs will probably move to places a few hours away for the lower cost of basically everything.
However, many people still enjoy living the urban lifestyle, people like being steps away from everything they could ever need, instead of having to start up the Escalade just to get a Starbucks.
You can't really have a company culture when the only special things about your Zoom Call is the backgrounds. Acceptance of WFH will probably increase, but for it to be the new normal, I doubt it will be for most.

Make two main towers a little wider and mix use. Condo on top office on the bottom all the same floor plates. Leaving room for a much larger winter garden that exits into the new proposed elevated park ! Creating breathing space for the towers across the street!

Cant do that. Park shadowing on Clarence Square

...instead of having to start up the Escalade just to get a Starbucks.

I've been definitely thinking about the positives of moving out of the city myself, but the thing is there's basically nowhere that you can live in Canada outside of cities without being utterly dependent on a car, which many people don't have, don't want to have, or can't afford. I wish we had small walkable human-scale towns or small cities connected by trains or buses like other parts of the world do, but our visionary leadership has decided to build the entire country around the car, doesn't invest in transit infrastructure, and is resistant to moving away from car culture even in big cities. But with many younger people not having cars, not even having licenses, or unable to afford cars (or much of anything), we're effectively stuck here.

I've been definitely thinking about the positives of moving out of the city myself, but the thing is there's basically nowhere that you can live in Canada outside of cities without being utterly dependent on a car, which many people don't have, don't want to have, or can't afford. I wish we had small walkable human-scale towns or small cities connected by trains or buses like other parts of the world do, but our visionary leadership has decided to build the entire country around the car, doesn't invest in transit infrastructure, and is resistant to moving away from car culture even in big cities. But with many younger people not having cars, not even having licenses, or unable to afford cars (or much of anything), we're effectively stuck here.
It's not a hard fix either. I'll admit the kitchener lrt route is pretty awful. But if you have lrt in kitchener, hamilton, london, and some form of faster transit along the north shore of lake Ontario from hamilton to Toronto plus HSR from Windsor to Toronto, all the sudden many out of city options become viable. Almost all of this has been in the works at some point, and then unfortunately scrapped.

But think of the budget! Who needs good transportation in this province when you got cheap beer?
Who needs constant supervision from one's supervisor when working from home when inexpensive liquid lunches are available?

One's employer won't know if one is drinking on the job or not when working from home.

If one were self-employed, one can have all the liquid lunches in the world and no one can bat an eye.

Oh, and there's no need to drive anywhere.

Note: I don't condone that behaviour. I don't drink for health reasons.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. We won't know for a couple of years at least if any of this will stick. In the meantime we can hope this project and the others that have been approved will start construction. There could very well be indefinite delays set in for some of them to see how
companies respond to the " new normal" whatever that turns out to be.

I work in advertising and the general consensus I am hearing from other folks in the industry is that nearly everyone wants to be back in the office but with flex days and the ability to work from home when necessary.
Tech is the same. There is an element connection lost when you can work with people directly. The whole "WFH will ruin productivity" ship has sailed and it was always about control. Hopefully we end up seeing a balance. For commuters, getting 1-3 hours of their life back every day is worth everything.

Hey folks, I am just getting caught up with this very large project. I did some research but still have a few questions.

1) Has this project been approved? If yes when is construction expected to commence and complete?
2) When will the park portion of it be complete? Before the rest of the construction?

Hey @toronto647:

1) No, nowhere near. Who knows - depends on a approvals, certainty about COVID, and a large lease commitment.
2) Doubtful. The closest you could expect would be around the same time as completion of the office phase of the project.

Would you say your looking at at least 5-7? years for the park portion to be completed or longer? How would this in turn impact the rail deck park which is scheduled to begun construction in 2022?

Where did you get that info?...lol

Its important to take the following quotes with a grain of salt... I think it would be fair to say construction would start by late 2022 or early 2023 at the latest.

"construction starting as early as 2022"

"To start construction as planned in 2022"

Back