Toronto U of T: Schwartz Reisman Innovation Centre (Phase 1) | 64.8m | 13s | U of T | Weiss/Manfredi

Interestingly the washrooms seem to be unisex (or at least on the 2nd floor), and for using the elevator, you select your floor before entering the elevator.... I guess that's better for security reasons maybe

Last edited:
Today. Spiderman spotted.

IMG_1075.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

I would say sort of, but I am ignorant on how they would have gotten that cladding to work back then if so.

I don't know enough about that either but the aesthetic is right out of the 60s/70s. One doesn't need to travel too far to see it either. MacDonald Block is only a 7-8 minute walk from this. It bears mentioning that Expo 67 had structures with both the 60s aesthetic and a non-traditional shapes like this Innovation Centre. So there were living examples right here in Canada.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about that either but the aesthetic is right out of the 60s/70s. One doesn't need to travel too far to see it either. MacDonald Block is only a 7-8 minute walk from this. It bears mentioning that Expo 67 had structures with both the 60s aesthetic and a non-traditional shapes like this Innovation Centre. So there were living examples right here in Canada.
Fair enough!

@AlexBozikovic has his take on this complex and its future phase, in the Globe and Mail today.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...tecture-of-ai-u-of-ts-new-research-hub-rises/ (behind paywall)

By and large, I think Alex's take here could be described as positive, as one might imagine. Most of us here are quite fond of this building overall, and Alex, seems in concurrence,

However, he does take issue w/the expression at-grade.

1707402602395.png

I'm inclined to agree w/Alex here (don't anyone faint, LOL); I don't think the glazing at-grade works. I think the description above is apt, most particularly 'dull'; but I would add, I don't disagree with impenetrable; its just not an inviting, engaging expression.

The interior of the lobby actually has much to recommend it, but somehow that just doesn't translate from walking by.

Alex's other critique is one of interior design I suppose, in the choice of colour (or lack thereof) of certain accents:

1707402895702.png

Again, I think the critique is on point. If one uses a mostly neutral palate for a space, generally, it's to allow for accents (art, carpets, light fixtures, seating etc.) to pop. Or to highlight a single accent wall. Here, we have a bit too much neutral on neutral. It's well done, but lacks a certain finishing touch. On the upside, that is a relatively easy and low cost fix.

Back