Toronto U of T: Landscape of Landmark Quality | ?m | 1s | U of T | MVVA

Today.
EEC3CD43-B67D-41BF-8B87-373BB455C16A.jpeg
D0F46FEC-EA4B-48A5-94BA-113A6D7D3287.jpeg

First of all, let me just say that this project is amazing. Really great upgrade for the campus. Cars are not really necessary for such a location, and sure they are building a garage, but it still improves the experience and atmosphere for everybody.

I have to ask though, given how big this underground structure is, is it going to connect to multiple buildings on campus? It would have been nice to establish underground connections between major buildings on campus while they were tearing up the ground anyway...
Of course, the entire point of this project is to improve the realm on ground-level and that is fantastic, but this is Toronto, and winter is a thing!
I saw in a render that there is at least some sort of connection, sorry if this information could have been found somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

I have to ask though, given how big this underground structure is, is it going to connect to multiple buildings on campus? It would have been nice to establish underground connections between major buildings on campus while they were tearing up the ground anyway...
Of course, the entire point of this project is to improve the realm on ground-level and that is fantastic, but this is Toronto, and winter is a thing!
I saw in a render that there is at least some sort of connection, sorry if this information could have been found somewhere but I can't seem to find it.
No, this is not providing underground connections between the buildings for people to walk through. For winter, coats, gloves, scarves, boots, hats all help, and are available in a variety of styles and colours from your favourite retailers.

No, this is not providing underground connections between the buildings for people to walk through. For winter, coats, gloves, scarves, boots, hats all help, and are available in a variety of styles and colours from your favourite retailers.

As a person who used to snake through the underground at Carleton U, this is a bit of a missed opportunity here, IMO. Though I suspect added infrastructure costs where likely the culprit that killed any inkling of that idea... >.<

In order @Benito LOL, I haven't posted from yesterday's walk yet, I was waiting for people to catch up! :p

Ah well.........here we go, from October 27th, 2022:

We'll start w/Tower Road, but now that it's basically finished, we're just looking at the native New England Asters in flower.

DSC00080.JPG

DSC00079.JPG

Now we move south towards Hart House Circle: (the grass seed has now grown in)

DSC00081.JPG

In front of the Observatory, the plantings are in, the fences are down and the seating available.

DSC00082.JPG

DSC00084.JPG

DSC00085.JPG

This next one is almost the reverse perspective for a couple of Benito's shots: (along the south side of Hart House Circle, looking down towards Queen's Park)

DSC00089.JPG

DSC00094.JPG

Now our favourite parking garage/geothermal construction site:

DSC00090.JPG

DSC00092.JPG

Now further south, along the library and towards and include Med. Sci:

DSC00096.JPG

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00101.JPG

DSC00102.JPG

A concise update from yesterday, Nov 10th.

A little less than half of the roof slab over the parkade is poured, they were actively pouring yesterday morning:
IMG_4667.jpg

NW corner looking good:
IMG_4666.jpg

Still more to go on the east side:
IMG_4669.jpg

A sneak peak of the benches, courtesy of the north west corner of King's College Cir by Alumni House:
IMG_4665.jpg

Pathways on the west side of King's College Cir are getting aggressively torn up:
IMG_4664.jpg

Lastly, Hart House Cir mostly complete:
IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

Honorable mention to the food delivery moped driving very quickly through Hart House Cir, going fast enough on a walkway to be dangerous. Luckily it's reading week and the pathways are wide enough to avoid any encounters.

Also, I saw a car driving down Tower Rd via Hoskin looking very confused, it's weird and dangerous that it's allowed and that there's no bollards at Hoskin.

Also, I saw a car driving down Tower Rd via Hoskin looking very confused, it's weird and dangerous that it's allowed and that there's no bollards at Hoskin.
I don't think bollards will ever be installed. That section is open to traffic likely for servicing of the University College building.... deliveries, moving trucks, garbage and recycling need to get through somehow.

I don't think bollards will ever be installed. That section is open to traffic likely for servicing of the University College building.... deliveries, moving trucks, garbage and recycling need to get through somehow.

Retractable bollards, or an automatic, openable gate would suffice.

No mammoth progress on this one, on cursory glance, but still moving along, on December 5th, 2022:

DSC00393.JPG

DSC00397.JPG

DSC00394.JPG

DSC00396.JPG

DSC00397.JPG

DSC00405.JPG

You can begin to see the new grading in front of Med. Sci taking shape:

DSC00402.JPG

DSC00403.JPG

DSC00404.JPG

Last edited:
Updated photos, 5 weeks later, on January 15th, 2023: