Toronto U of T: Landscape of Landmark Quality | ?m | 1s | U of T | MVVA

Today.
B335F3F8-1C40-4975-980C-D772AA47B877.jpeg
D5CB4008-BA94-47E3-AB57-E2E66C3A0BEC.jpeg

One month later, photos taken May 28, 2022:

We'll start in Hart House Circle where more new interlock has gone down, and some new trees have arrived.

DSC07633.JPG

I'll take a moment to note with some bemusement that the Hart House portion of this project talks ad nauseum about native plants and indigenous themes......... great! LOL except this tree isn't native.

Looks to me like English Oak but could be some other cultivar.

DSC07632.JPG

Yes, they have a tree protection zone around a dead tree! Good job everyone! LOL

Walking counter-clockwise around the circle.........more new trees......

DSC07637.JPG

Ummm........ok....so Honey Locust is a near-native (native just to the south of Toronto..................but this is a cultivar and its form betrays that it is not the near-native (the native is a spreader, not straight like a column)

I'm only going to post one pic of all the (established) living non-native trees in Hart House Circle, I just find it oddly amusing in light of the theme of the part of the project:

DSC07642.JPG

No trees native to Toronto have this leaf colour in summer.

On to the parking bit, and the Med. Sci bit.

DSC07643.JPG

DSC07644.JPG

DSC07645.JPG

DSC07646.JPG

DSC07651.JPG

DSC07650.JPG

...those dark purple coloured trees are everywhere though. Most folks probably think they are "native". /sigh

...those dark purple coloured trees are everywhere though. Most folks probably think they are "native". /sigh

Typically, the large trees w/purple leaves are a variant of the non-native, invasive, Norway Maple, "Crimson King"

Though there are purple cultivars of some other species; as well as shorter trees and shrubs like Japanese Maple (not native, but not invasive)

A "safe space" around a dead tree and non-native trees meeting identitarian criteria as "native." Yep, that's a university campus in 2022. 🤣

I saw some graduates heading to Convocation Hall yesterday. Felt sorry that they had to squeeze through the narrow, partly barricaded and dusty SW 'corner' of King's College Circle instead of strolling across the lawn like past graduates did (up to 2019 anyway).

Photos taken July 8th, 2022:

We'll start with a 'bonus' shot, not technically part of this project, but its a landscaping upgrade at U of T over by Burwash Hall at Victoria College:

DSC08556.JPG

Now on to the main project:

Some new plants in front of Hart House:

DSC08558.JPG

Another part of Hart House Circle being worked on with an eye to laying down interlock:

DSC08563.JPG

The new lighting has appeared in Hart House Park...........( I don't like it as I find its modernity jarring against the adjacent heritage, I also dislike the fact that it's a light-spreader design as opposed to being
dark-skies friendly. (the heritage-style fixtures were spreaders too, but at least they were heritage-style)

DSC08562.JPG

Now looking at the parking/geo-thermal facility on front campus:
DSC08565.JPG

DSC08566.JPG

DSC08567.JPG

DSC08568.JPG

Not much progress over by the (former) stairs at Med. Sci:

DSC08571.JPG

They've now excavated across from the Med. Sci stairs, in front of the Med. Sci library:

DSC08572.JPG

Just under 2 weeks later..........an update: Photos taken August 9th, 2022:

This is a big update, so it's a 2-poster.

Let's start up at Hoskin, looking down Tower Road:

DSC08911.JPG

Now we'll glance just a bit to the right at the entrance to Tower road, where the native'ish perennial garden along Hoskin has now been extended:

DSC08912.JPG

Before we go further down Tower Road, a quick look at how the Hoskin side is coming:

DSC08920.JPG

DSC08922.JPG

Bit closer:

DSC08923.JPG

Now a look at the standard issue bench which is going in all over this area of campus: (to be frank, it's not bad, but I don't care for it, I would have preferred a heritage styling here)

DSC08924.JPG

Some of the flowers:

DSC08925.JPG

DSC08926.JPG

Now back to Tower Road:

As we glance down at the new landscape, there are a series of stone markers with names, which represent donors. Meh, I get it, but it's a bit tacky in general to me to clutter the gardens up....still.........

But.....did we have to put all the names on tombstones?

DSC08928.JPG

DSC08932.JPG

DSC08929.JPG

Now let's peak over the fence at the end of Tower Road and look through to Hart House Circle:

DSC08936.JPG

DSC08934.JPG

DSC08937.JPG

DSC08938.JPG

And the rest is in the next post!

Last edited:

Back