Toronto TYSSE: York University Station | ?m | 1s | TTC | Foster + Partners

I'm a big fan of the station designs, but the interior finishes will be crucial. Montreal subway stations, a clear standard, often have simple exteriors, but artistically-finished interiors with diverse materials like traditional and glazed brick, granite, colourfully painted metal panels, textured concrete and lots of benches, which are often unique in design to the station. Also, I like the V columns at York University Station.

I'm a big fan of the station designs, but the interior finishes will be crucial. Montreal subway stations, a clear standard, often have simple exteriors, but artistically-finished interiors with diverse materials like traditional and glazed brick, granite, colourfully painted metal panels, textured concrete and lots of benches, which are often unique in design to the station. Also, I like the V columns at York University Station.

I always question whether it'd be better for the TTC to just use standard interior finishes in their stations since they seem to have trouble maintaining what they have, but here's to hoping they can keep these finishes looking nice decades from now.

Time for a run-through of all of the York University Station images.

The site plan. The station will be located at the east end of the central common.

YorkUStnSitePlan.jpg

Section view.

YorkUStnSection.jpg

Grade plan.

YorkUStnGradePlan.jpg

View from east of the entrance.

YorkUStnGradeView.jpg

View from west of the entrance, in the common.

YorkUStnCommonView.jpg

View from the concourse out towards the amphitheatre.

YorkUStnAmphiView.jpg

Concourse plan.

YorkUStnConcoursePlan.jpg

View of the concourse.

YorkUStnConcourseView.jpg

Platform plan.

YorkUStnPlatformPlan.jpg

View of the Platform.

YorkUStnPlatformView.jpg

The station's artwork is Piston Effect by Jason Bruges. Movement in the station will trigger change in the Liquid Crystal Display screens, which can modulate from black through gray tones to white.

YorkUStnArtwork.jpg

YorkUStnArtwork2.jpg

So beautiful.

<3

Looks like something out of Star Trek to me. Which is compliment, of course. I think it looks really good.

It's quite pretty (yet also quite bland at the actual platform level) but that sunken entrance is going to be a quagmire of wet leaves and garbage for 8 months of the year and the boomerang shape will ensure swirling winds and snowdrifts for the other 4 months. A campus as large as York needs a station with more than just one entrance/exit in the middle of the platform which pours everyone through one 20 foot wide corridor onto the Common. The platform/tunnels pass under Schulich and York Lanes, but you can't access them, let alone the blocks or sides of the road near them. Is is that important to build community through collective inconvenience?

It's quite pretty (yet also quite bland at the actual platform level) but that sunken entrance is going to be a quagmire of wet leaves and garbage for 8 months of the year and the boomerang shape will ensure swirling winds and snowdrifts for the other 4 months. A campus as large as York needs a station with more than just one entrance/exit in the middle of the platform which pours everyone through one 20 foot wide corridor onto the Common. The platform/tunnels pass under Schulich and York Lanes, but you can't access them, let alone the blocks or sides of the road near them. Is is that important to build community through collective inconvenience?

+1. I agree on the alternate exit issues, we are seeing this lack of foresight with downtown stations now. I know and I wonder that/if the expected passenger levels aren't high enough to warrent alternate exits, however I think that it should be standard to have all stations have alternate exits.

So if I'm in a wheelchair I have to zigzag down all of those amphitheatre landings so that I can reach the entrance?

So if I'm in a wheelchair I have to zigzag down all of those amphitheatre landings so that I can reach the entrance?

Only when leaving the campus...

(I'm rather surprised by this too. Arrival at the university will be even more daunting than the gravity-assisted descent.)

Only when leaving the campus...

(I'm rather surprised by this too. Arrival at the university will be even more daunting than the gravity-assisted descent.)

There are entrances at the street/sidewalk level of the Commons, one on each side of the boomerang. You do not have to go down into the "well" to enter or exit, although I believe there will be access from down there as well. The barrier-free entrance is the north one, across the street from York Lanes.

Back