Vaughan TYSSE: Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station | ?m | ?s | TTC | Grimshaw

I love clean and new subway tunnels....

The fiscal conservatives don't like "clean" because it would cost money, and we can't have that. :(

The TTC used to clean their subway platforms very often in the day time, in the 1950's and 1960's. However, because the TTC is so underfunded these days, those "clean" subway platforms are a thing of the past.

The fiscal conservatives don't like "clean" because it would cost money, and we can't have that. :(

The TTC used to clean their subway platforms very often in the day time, in the 1950's and 1960's. However, because the TTC is so underfunded these days, those "clean" subway platforms are a thing of the past.

They cleaned them well into the late 80s too when I was a student. I remember the little zamboni terrazo cleaners.

How to clean the subway tunnels cheaply?

Easy! Hire volunteers or pay TFWs and recent high school graduates at minimum wage.

With the latter, it's easy job creation.

Alternatively, prisoners could be used to clean station tunnels. However, that would be rather controversial. Next time, if you were caught evading fares, but can't pay the fine, you'll end up cleaning the subway tunnels.

How to clean the subway tunnels cheaply?

Easy! Hire volunteers or pay TFWs and recent high school graduates at minimum wage.

With the latter, it's easy job creation.

Alternatively, prisoners could be used to clean station tunnels. However, that would be rather controversial. Next time, if you were caught evading fares, but can't pay the fine, you'll end up cleaning the subway tunnels.

Those are all "fiscal conservative" suggestions. Of course, none of those "fiscal conservatives" will "volunteer", of course. Nor will their family members who just graduated work at minimum wage.

Those are all "fiscal conservative" suggestions. Of course, none of those "fiscal conservatives" will "volunteer", of course. Nor will their family members who just graduated work at minimum wage.
Just pointing out ideas they could have implemented but chose not to.

They chose the idea of "strategic neglect" instead (which would actually become more expensive over time than the use of volunteer and/or minimum wage and/or prisoner work). Fires (and thus delays (and thus lost collective productivity)) happen more often due to strategic neglect than even with minimal maintenance.

I'm not sure why there isn't a vehicle that can go in the tunnels and spray down the walls, I'd only assume that all the signalling/other equipment is waterproof.

I'm not sure why there isn't a vehicle that can go in the tunnels and spray down the walls, I'd only assume that all the signalling/other equipment is waterproof.

Water + electricity? Not sure if that's the best mix (though TTC apparently had tunnel washers). CO2 snow might be better, but without a good ventilation system it would suffocate the workers. London Underground apparently uses compressed air:

http://cleanair.london/wp-content/uploads/CAL-226-Tunnel-cleaning-train_FOI-EIR-July-2012.pdf

AoD

Last edited:

You can also save nickels a day doing away with underarm deodorant and toilet paper. Pretty soon my off-shore account where I stash all the savings will be so full I'll have to move it to a bigger island. Thanks conservative, penny-pinching ideology!

[QUOTE="AlvinofDiaspar, post: 1177298, though TTC apparently had tunnel washers.
AoD

Had??? Tunnel washers...what did we do with them in our short-sightedness?

The TTC has washer trains. See link to list of work cars.

subway-5510-12.jpg

RT_16_2012_06_19.jpg

Haven't found a video of them in action.

Last edited:
Can anyone find detailed design plans for the Viva Station at VMC? I could only find plans for the subway station with the tunnel to the Viva station (on TTC site) but not the other way around. To clarify, I mean details with explanations and diagrams, not just a general picture or rendering.

Back