Toronto Tyndale Green | 80.29m | 24s | Collecdev-Markee | KPMB

From the above link by @HousingNowTO, some additional details:

1680821972493.png

In respect of the reduction in affordable housing:

1680822061555.png

@HousingNowTO I would like to hear your take on the changes in affordable housing here and whether Councillor Carroll's take is a fair one (laying the blame on Bill 23)

She suggests there were no significant cuts to density overall with 1510 units of housing

Edit to add: I went back to p.2 of this thread to see that we started out with 1504 units in the initial application.

On Phasing:

1680822119125.png

@HousingNowTO I would like to hear your take on the changes in affordable housing here and whether Councillor Carroll's take is a fair one (laying the blame on Bill 23)

She suggests there were no significant cuts to density overall with 1510 units of housing

Edit to add: I went back to p.2 of this thread to see that we started out with 1504 units in the initial application.

On Phasing:

View attachment 466996
...a bunch of things changed between June 2021 and March 2023, when Tyndale Green was proposed Construction Loans for Affordable Housing were under 2% - now they are over 5%.

1680823708998.png

Construction costs have also increased +30% over those 2-years.

CMHC has "tapped-out" lot of its most valuable new Affordable Housing programs by early 2023, so the well is dry for dollars that the Feds. might have brought to the party.

Bill 23 did kill "some" of these ~511 lost affordable rental units, but the issues listed above - and the NIMBY appeal / legal costs killed the rest.

There is plenty of blame to spread around.

Time is Money., and Time is (Affordable) Units.... Don't WASTE Time.

If you are thinking of running for Toronto Mayor in 2023 - here is a FREE policy for your Housing Platform...

I am not running for Mayor, as I explained elsewhere; though I remain flattered that many think it would be a good idea.

But you know, if I do give 2026 a closer look, the person I'm coming to vet my housing platform will be you.

I am not running for Mayor, as I explained elsewhere; though I remain flattered that many think it would be a good idea.

But you know, if I do give 2026 a closer look, the person I'm coming to vet my housing platform will be you.

There should be an expert panel for affordable housing advocates or oversea within Toronto's planning process or overall's city council decision. @HousingNowTO should petition and be the permanent chairman to expedite the decision.

Off-topically: As long you are not planning to listen to voters when the rubber hits the road on this. Because listening to the public on any social issue is not always a good idea or thing. Just look at Brexit as a fine example of that...

...so if you plan to do the needed thing regardless here, then you'll least have my vote.

Off-topically: As long you are not planning to listen to voters when the rubber hits the road on this. Because listening to the public on any social issue is not always a good idea or thing. Just look at Brexit as a fine example of that...

...so if you plan to do the needed thing regardless here, then you'll least have my vote.

If I actually write out the 2,000 page treatise, I will certainly offer it up for reading. But the platform will be take it or leave it, not a negotiation, LOL

Last edited:
All the reports are now public.

Too many links to post, so I will link to the agenda item and people can follow links as they wish:

From the Docs, this is the new site plan:

1682534778281.png

Last edited:
Bill 23 did kill "some" of these ~511 lost affordable rental units, but the issues listed above - and the NIMBY appeal / legal costs killed the rest.

There is plenty of blame to spread around.

Time is Money., and Time is (Affordable) Units.... Don't WASTE Time.
I will admit to not having followed any of this, but I find the explanation of HousingNowTO to be suspect. I would be curious to understand how Bill 23 impacted this. Surely the truth in the matter is that the original proposal of 50% affordable was poorly planned economically. The developer appealed to the OMB, so they must have budgeted legals for this? The city opposed it, which means the developer did a poor job from the outset arguing their position.

Back