News   Apr 24, 2024
 394     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 748     1 

Toronto Transportation Idiosyncracies

Hipster Duck

Member Bio
Reaction score
These are relatively silly, non-negotiable "rules" found only in Toronto that local transportation advocates and planners feel have come from on high and cannot be transgressed. I'll start:

#1: Thou shalt not build one way streets. It has been decreed that it is bad for pedestrian vibrancy.

#2: Thou shalt not position a ROW anywhere but in the median of a roadway.

#3: Thou shalt not use articulated buses

#4: Thou shalt not build rapid transit lines that deviate in alignment from the arterial road. No diagonal alignments or use of existing railway corridors will be allowed.

Continue accordingly...

Actually, this rule is "Thou shalt not purchase a bus with an expected lifetime of less than 20 years".

The companies that build such things refuse to put a 20 year warranty on the frame and body. They go to about 12 years only.

Ummmm, not quite right

Not all of those idiosyncrasies are right.

The one-way thing is closest, but keep in mind we do have one-ways downtown, Richmond, Adelaide, Wellington, part of Front, York, and a host of side streets.

In the burbs you can't do it. Because one-ways have to run in pairs, and the grid in most of the burbs in 2km between arterials. That means if you ran 1-way pairs, you might have to go 4km out of your way to turn back get to where you were going.

As to ROWs both Queen's Quay and Cherry Street will be side-based.

As to Articulated buses, Toronto had lots of those running on Finch about 15 years ago.....they were all rusted out crap that had to go the scrap heap years before their time. That prompted the TTC to stop buying them until they make them a whole hell of a lot better.

Finally, transit routes, Spadina does not follow an arterial, only part of it follows Allen Road, the rest is all on a an angle.

Same with the SRT, it follows a rail corridor then hangs a right, though admittedly it does run parallel to roads in both directions.

The Eastern B-D line is on an angle from VP to Kennedy and doesn't follow any road.

The Western B-D line begins to angle at Kipling, and if extended will not follow any road, on any of its proposed alingments.

The proposed DRL will, at the least, not strictly follow roads at its eastern and western upturns to meet Bloor-Danforth, but its also unlikely to be continuous on King or Queen, more likely to vary to hit key trip generators.

So I was trying

So I was trying to really think about things that Toronto does different.

Ways in which Toronto approaches roads, sidewalks, cycling or transit really differently from other cities around the world.

I have to say, having been lucky enough to visit many places, and aware of many I have yet to visit too....

I can't think of much in Toronto that I haven't seen done somewhere else; nor of something I've seen done everywhere that is not in Toronto at all.

I can think of something Toronto does noticeably better/worse, or more often/less often that most other places.

In Toronto's favour:

I can't think of any transit that better integrates its surface and underground/rail routes as seamlessly. In many older cities there was simply no where to build bus terminals at stations etc.; and in many cities Bus and Subway are 2 separate systems and fares. So I think the TTC deserves full points for that.

The lack of a Zone system isn't unique, though, for a City our size it is unusual in my experience.

Toronto's bike Rings used to be unique (City staff designed them); then we forgot to get a patent, and many other cities just copied them! (and we didn't get a royalty!)

Hmmm, must be some others........

As to Articulated buses, Toronto had lots of those running on Finch about 15 years ago.....they were all rusted out crap that had to go the scrap heap years before their time. That prompted the TTC to stop buying them until they make them a whole hell of a lot better.

Look, buying buses from communist Hungary is not an adequate case study. I might as well claim that computers are a bad idea because the Soviet ones sucked. If I wanted, I could list all of the cities on earth (and there are hundreds, maybe thousands) that operate articulated buses just fine. It stretches credulity to assume that what works in Mississauga or Markham, let alone London or Sao Paulo, wont work in Toronto.

#5: Thou shalt not use proven off-the-shelf technology from other, larger transit systems

#6: Thou shalt not entertain the idea of interlining rapid transit routes

#7: Thou shalt not contemplate tunnels as traffic relieving measures in the central city

#5: Thou shalt not use proven off-the-shelf technology from other, larger transit systems

That is the truest. For sure.

#8 Thou shalt not give reliable signal priority to your streetcars.

#9 Thou shalt not consider changing the order of traffic signals to favour transit vehicles

10.) Thou shalt not contemplating outsourcing what can be done in-house, no matter implications for future operations

11.)Thou shalt not risk designing facilities which may experience capacity strains, in 2250.

12.)Thou shalt, forever and in perpetuity, renounce the concept of at or above grade rapid transit, regardless of surface conditions and cost.

12) Thou shall not consider public transit projects that do not disrupt automobile traffic.

11.)Thou shalt not risk designing facilities which may experience capacity strains, in 2250.

11b.) when thou designs a rapid transit station, thou shalt determine the number of bus bays that are required to serve current demand, then thou should promptly double it.

14.) Thou shalt make no effort to improve on-time performance of surface routes. Instead, thou shall cycle through a list of excuses as to why it is impossible to run perfectly 100% on time, so therefore no effort should be made to improve.

15.) The citizens of thine city will walk much further to access an underground stop location than a surface stop location, even if both stops are on the exact same route.

16.) Thou shall make little to no effort to cooperate with other nearbye transit systems.
`

Last edited:
These are relatively silly, non-negotiable "rules" found only in Toronto that local transportation advocates and planners feel have come from on high and cannot be transgressed. I'll start:

#1: Thou shalt not build one way streets. It has been decreed that it is bad for pedestrian vibrancy.

This is not a silly rule, in my opinion. It depends on what you want the streets to do. Currently, Richmond and Adelaide function well as off-ramps for the DVP, and their importance will likely increase if the Gardiner is brought down between Jarvis and the Don River.

However, as commercially viable, pedestrian friendly environments, they're dead. And the same is basically true of most one-way streets that I've seen: they become pedestrian unfriendly environments, and the value of businesses along the route decreases. Kitchener used to have complementary one-way streets around its downtown with Charles and Duke, and these streets were never ones for good pedestrian growth. In the end, council spent close to a million dollars restoring two-way operation on these streets. The downtown did not come grinding to a halt. Pedestrian use increased on these streets, and we're seeing a mild commercial upswing on parts of both.

I question the usefulness of one-way operation for Richmond and Adelaide west of Simcoe. Most of the commuters on the DVP don't appear to be heading to work here. It's here where the streets have some small-scale commercial life still in them. Richmond and Adelaide can remain one-way from Simcoe east to the DVP; the way the downtown functions, this operation will have no serious effect on how the street works for pedestrians. West of Simcoe, however, Richmond and Adelaide could use an infusion of pedestrian-friendly aesthetic, and one way to do that is to restore two-way operation through to Bathurst.

#2: Thou shalt not position a ROW anywhere but in the median of a roadway.

This is changing. When construction on the new streetcar tracks down Cherry Street takes place (between now and 2012), it will be along the east side of the roadway. I also suspect that when the Eglinton LRT gets built, the surface portion between the Brentcliffe tunnel entrance and Don Mills will be on an off-road right-of-way to the south of Eglinton Avenue (no intersections to contend with here). But for the most part, centre-of-the-median operation makes sense where it has been applied. If you have a lot of street crossings at grade, having an LRT right-of-way at the edge of a street rather than the middle severely complicates right turns.

There are plenty of routes the TTC would love to use articulated buses on: 53 Steeles East, 39 Finch East, probably 29 Dufferin as well. And the TTC would be happy to use these vehicles, if they could get a normal 18 year service life out of them. We have yet to find an articulated vehicle that can reach that life-span without extensive maintenance. The standard 40-foot buses are thus more cost-effective over the long term. But technology is improving. Once a builder fixes the maintenance problems associated with articulated operation, the TTC will jump in.

#4: Thou shalt not build rapid transit lines that deviate in alignment from the arterial road. No diagonal alignments or use of existing railway corridors will be allowed.
Continue accordingly...

The City of Toronto contemplated this as early as 1909, and ditched it. Tunnelling under buildings is severely expensive. Even the 1909 diagonal-subway proposal relied on new diagonal arterial roads cutting through the downtown core. If we have to build these things, it makes sense to put them where it's easier to build them, and that's under streets, or on corridor rights of way.

Though I admit, it's fun to fantasize about what the city could have been like if the Spadina subway had taken off and gone directly northwest from St. George station, with stops at St. Clair/Bathurst, Dufferin/Eglinton (intriguingly possible thanks to Vaughan Blvd), Keele/Lawrence and Wilson/Jane.

...James

It would be near impossible these days to expropriate enough properties to build subway diagonally, at least in residential areas.

Back