Toronto Toronto House | 186.53m | 58s | Westbank | Hariri Pontarini

Similarly, from Norm Li:

IMG_5974.jpeg

So....I was here, yesterday, October 9th, 2024.

But I didn't actually take pics of the building.........except incidentally. We have many wonderful shots of it, including recent ones, so I looked at something different, the public realm on the Adelaide and Duncan frontages:

Adelaide:

DSC04742.jpg

Here, I was focusing on the tree planter. Though the sidewalks are notable, and we'll come back to those.

The planter is fine from a functional perspective, though they're pushing it with 3 trees of that type (shade heavy, and medium/large).............

But plain, poured concrete? This is a really nice build overall, with lots of evidence of care..........but the planter is just throw-away ugly. The cost do this in granite would have been immaterial to the project.

That said, You want poured concrete..........but you could dye it; or use the same treatment as the sidewalk..........

Also, why no seating on the end? Could just be limestone or granite cap.

The corner:

DSC04743.jpg

Really, on the placement of the new traffic light fixture base. Seriously though, does that even meet the 2.1M minimum clearly way between the base and the building? There is no good reason not to have the base closer to the curb. Even if you want the traffic light itself positioned to the east, you can easily do that with the pole moved over.

Duncan:

DSC04744.jpg

Ok, so let's talk about this sidewalk. This is custom. Its poured concrete, but with lots of rock mixed in for colour, and looks like a bit of dye as well.

Its fine looking...........but I'm thinking about maintenance. You can keep spare interlock for patching......who is storing extra custom concrete mix for all the future repairs? Maybe someone is, maybe someone should.....but...

So....I was here, yesterday, October 9th, 2024.

But I didn't actually take pics of the building.........except incidentally. We have many wonderful shots of it, including recent ones, so I looked at something different, the public realm on the Adelaide and Duncan frontages:

Adelaide:

View attachment 603203

Here, I was focusing on the tree planter. Though the sidewalks are notable, and we'll come back to those.

The planter is fine from a functional perspective, though they're pushing it with 3 trees of that type (shade heavy, and medium/large).............

But plain, poured concrete? This is a really nice build overall, with lots of evidence of care..........but the planter is just throw-away ugly. The cost do this in granite would have been immaterial to the project.

That said, You want poured concrete..........but you could dye it; or use the same treatment as the sidewalk..........

Also, why no seating on the end? Could just be limestone or granite cap.

The corner:

View attachment 603204

Really, on the placement of the new traffic light fixture base. Seriously though, does that even meet the 2.1M minimum clearly way between the base and the building? There is no good reason not to have the base closer to the curb. Even if you want the traffic light itself positioned to the east, you can easily do that with the pole moved over.

Duncan:

View attachment 603205

Ok, so let's talk about this sidewalk. This is custom. Its poured concrete, but with lots of rock mixed in for colour, and looks like a bit of dye as well.

Its fine looking...........but I'm thinking about maintenance. You can keep spare interlock for patching......who is storing extra custom concrete mix for all the future repairs? Maybe someone is, maybe someone should.....but...
you mean exposed aggregate paving? .. it is more common that you seem to reralize..

you mean exposed aggregate paving? .. it is more common that you seem to reralize..

Its around, and was in common use until the mid 70s.

But when they started adding the white spray-on cure to sidewalks in the 80's....they mostly abandoned it.

I also haven't seen that particular mix/colour combo that I can recall. Its quite specific.

Back