Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Here's how Nathan Phillips Square looked on Thursday, with preparations for Nuit Blanche under way.

natphil1DSC06860.jpg
natphil2DSC06861.jpg

I'm picturing the building above with a Dollarama sign on one of the gables. Meanwhile, in the Peace Garden…
natphil3DSC06859.jpg

…while south of the Peace Garden, grading was under way.
natphil4DSC06858.jpg

Attachments

• natphil1DSC06860.jpg
    natphil1DSC06860.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 937
  • natphil2DSC06861.jpg
    natphil2DSC06861.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 972
  • natphil3DSC06859.jpg
    natphil3DSC06859.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 1,017
  • natphil4DSC06858.jpg
    natphil4DSC06858.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 921
Not sure why some people call Toronto "The 6". Never heard this before.

The Six - the original Six Metro Toronto municipalities that were amalgamated: North York, East York, Scarborough, York, Etobicoke, and the original City of Toronto

The square looks just fine. No need for plants. It's modern and that's the way it's meant to be and look.

It's comforting to know Toronto has such low standard when it comes to the city's most prominent public square.

A few plants are not going to save it. It is not horrible but shall I say mediocre, unimpressive by any means. The square, the garden, the arts. Everything is bland - and yes maybe it is what us meant to be, just like every other public space in Toronto.

I'm all for ordering up 3 more Toronto signs, but let's refrain from cheesy hip hop inspired lingo. T-Dot, The 6? Seriously? That sounds so immature and classless.

T-Dot's been around for a while though, right? It's sort of our Chi-town. Where's the harm? Own it!

I like the Six because it reflects the fact that Toronto is an amalgamation of six former municipalities, but yeah, T-Dot is embarrassingly hip(-hop)-sounding.

I like the Six because it reflects the fact that Toronto is an amalgamation of six former municipalities, but yeah, T-Dot is embarrassingly hip(-hop)-sounding.
So is The 6. It is just a coincidence that there were 6 municipalities. Whomever coined that term, I'm certain, wasn't referencing that, but most likely the 6 in 416 and 647. Both The 6 and T-Dot sound as corny as anything, and are byproducts of the moronic hip hop influence on the culture over the last 25 years.

So is The 6. It is just a coincidence that there were 6 municipalities. Whomever coined that term, I'm certain, wasn't referencing that, but most likely the 6 in 416 and 647. Both The 6 and T-Dot sound as corny as anything, and are byproducts of the moronic hip hop influence on the culture over the last 25 years.
And why is this a problem for you?

Back