Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

The staircase up to the podium from the north side (Elizabeth St, I guess) has a bright shiny glass gate, which, of course, is bolted shut despite a sign giving opening hours and it being Wednesday at 1pm. Anyone know why? Do they not allow Torontonians into public parks anymore?

IMG3451-L.jpg

IMG3449-L.jpg

IMG3455-L.jpg

IMG3459-L.jpg

IMG3453-L.jpg

I hope the stage is going to be taller than it looks because right now it's much too short for people to get a good view, in large crowds. (I'd say it's about 4 feet tall by the looks of it) I've noticed that Montreal really knows how to stage events. They almost always put the stage at 6 feet off the ground or higher, which makes it much easier for the crowds to see the performers. I've been to many events in Toronto where it was very hard to see the performers on the stage and I'm 6'1". A friend of mine who is 5'1" always has problems seeing what's going on but when we go to the Jazz Festival in Montreal, even with huge crowds, he can usually see the performers pretty well. I wonder why Toronto can't seem to get something so simple as setting up a stage? I hope they are going to add some kind of flooring to make the stage significantly higher.

Last edited:
I assume for larget events they'd make the stage a little taller for everyone's sake.

That being said, doesn't look any taller in this render...

urbantoronto-2205-6360.jpg

I wonder if they plan on using it for the New Year's Eve bash? It seems a bit small compared to the one they construct specifically for that event.

Also, it doesn't have the city hall behind it, so it is less picturesque. Maybe it would be used for seating during the event - you'd get a pretty nice view.

Presumably using temporary risers you could both raise and widen the stage for events. But why, when the stage could have been built to those specs to begin with?

I agree it's disappointing that it wasn't build a little taller, but it's still possible we'll change our minds when we see it used for the first time.

(I say with my fingers crossed)

Looking at various photos - I don't believe the stage for say the New Year eve is that much, if any, taller than the one currently getting built. It's roughly the height of a person in both cases.

AoD

The orientation allows people to engage the City Hall building by standing on the ramp and podium roof to view the events (rather than just being a backdrop).

New Years celebrations should be moved to Dundas Square anyway. Yonge Street should be closed from Dundas to Shuter during the celebrations.

Maybe they could set up a 2nd stage for performances in Nathan Phillips Square and use it for new years but the centre of festivities should move over to Dundas Square.

New Years celebrations should be moved to Dundas Square anyway. Yonge Street should be closed from Dundas to Shuter during the celebrations.

Maybe they could set up a 2nd stage for performances in Nathan Phillips Square and use it for new years but the centre of festivities should move over to Dundas Square.

Why? Nathan Philips is a much larger space, plus it has ice-skating and a snack bar.

Back