Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I can only agree. Passing by there yesterday I thought that there was a sudden airiness to the space.

It will be so much better suited for big events like concerts and New Year's Eve parties. I don't know why they still have so few people working on it. It is progressing at an unreasonable slow pace.

I can only agree. Passing by there yesterday I thought that there was a sudden airiness to the space.

I'm sitting in the Sheraton across the street. I'm tempted to go check that out. Thanks!

EDITED: Went on the walk. Indeed it opens up the square to how it was intended to be used. Open, a blank slate waiting for civic engagement or entertainment to become its contents.

Last edited:
I'm really curious about the status of the stage. My source for this info came from a councillor who I resigned myself from providing services to because of his mindless alignment with Ford on issues that have affected myself and my business.

... so unfortunately, I won't have any more insider info on this project. I'll try to get some info from my own councillor going forward.

EDIT: I noticed that the stage area has been cleared. The concrete pavers have been removed so it looks like this item is going ahead. As to when it will be built, it's anybody's guess given the glacial pace of this whole development.

Last edited:
Hoarding is down around the restaurant/skate rental complex. Workers are now working on the details and installing exterior lighting.
Sorry no pics

Councillor Wong-Tam has given me updates on certain details that were still up in the air.

While they were at risk of being cancelled, the restaurant and bike station are going ahead as planned. The info centre that was supposed to replace the cinderblock entrance on the South-East corner of the square was cancelled but the existing building will be clad to match the new skate rental pavilion. I think that's an acceptable compromise.

I'm still waiting on the new schedule but it appears that they're getting started on the stage now.

Believe it or not, the project as a whole is apparently still on schedule. The slow progress on the skate pavilion was due to a wet spring. It was completed far beyond what was expected but items are starting on their projected schedule. Mid to end of 2012 is the date for completion of the full revitalization.

The stage is up next. This includes the area adjacent to the stage which is part of the new Peace Garden. New playground is coming in soon. Work should start on the West walkway this fall. Work on the PATH upgrades and re-alignment below the square are also part of this phase.

Last edited:
^
When I went to the TOAE it looked like the playground is already done. Well, it looked different anyways, with some odd playground equipment that I've never noticed before. I think they might be behind on some sections though since the TOAE wasn't allowed to have the artist booths on the queen st grassy area as usual. I heard is was because it was scheduled to be under construction, which it wasn't.

Yes, they really need to redo the Queen Street frontage. That part of NPS is terrible, so they might as well make it a public square type area and get rid of the neglected grass.

Yes, they really need to redo the Queen Street frontage. That part of NPS is terrible, so they might as well make it a public square type area and get rid of the neglected grass.

That's my favourite part of the reno believe it or not. The Queen St. forecourt is like the welcome mat into Nathan Phillips Square and right now it's more of an unwelcome mat that prevents people from entering the square and is very uninviting. The new forecourt will be more porous. Unfortunately, it's one of the last items to be dealt with because construction of the restaurant, work on the SE entrance and the south walkways needs to be completed before.

That's my favourite part of the reno believe it or not. The Queen St. forecourt is like the welcome mat into Nathan Phillips Square and right now it's more of an unwelcome mat that prevents people from entering the square and is very uninviting. The new forecourt will be more porous. Unfortunately, it's one of the last items to be dealt with because construction of the restaurant, work on the SE entrance and the south walkways needs to be completed before.

When is this new Queen St forecourt exprected to be opened?

Back