Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

One has to go to City Hall to see the full plans and models (it's a shame they did not post all the plans and drawings on the website).

Again, each plan certainly has its strengths and weaknesses.

I think they should tear down the walkways, imho that was Revell's only significant error in the design. Plant some evergreens, this is Canada afterall, lets get some year round greenery in the square. Also, the inclusion of the Moore has been the only important addition to the square since 1965. More of this please. Setting a standard would be a good thing for an important 'world class' Civic Hall.

As for these four designs, there are some things I like in each and some I don't. Overall - the one that does the least damage to Revell's vision is the better one.

That rules out Rogers Marvel and their silly lemming cliff.

I'm putting a full and hearty vote behind the PLANT proposal. It managed to make tremendous impact with very subtle gestures, adding a fine grain of detail to the spaces both inside and outside of the elevated walkway. I think the general clearing of the square and the addition of a permanent stage is both wise and necessary, and contrasts nicely with the exterior ring of green spaces. The "stoa" (as they call the walkway) here acts as a gateway between two distinct and mutually reinforcing types of public space, the intricate and quiet spaces of leaves and water and the grand, democratic sweep of the paved square (interestingly discussed in relation to Athenian democratic spaces on the panels). The PLANT team provides a great variety of ways to access the elevated walkway and with seating, planting and links to the stage and restaurant gives good incentive to make the climb.

Their proposal is not radical, but it is full of well-reasoned and developed design choices. In many aspects, they overlapped with other proposals - the continuous Bay St sidewalk, the Queen St forecourt, the heavy programming of the Western edge, etc - but in most cases they seemed to have pushed the design to a higher level of refinement with functional seating strategies and careful choices in materials and plantings.

Baird Sampson Neuert's proposal was similar in some ways to the PLANT submission, but heavier handed. Their structures are simply too much, especially the swirly ovoid number on Queen.

Marvel's entry was interesting in some aspects but seemed much like an alien form dropped onto the square's western edge (it didn't do much at all to the other parts of the square). And frankly, I'm a bit offended by another foreign architect telling us that campfires and muskoka chairs are the identity appropriate for the Canadian downtown. That aspect of Canadian culture is totally valid, but not in this context. It would be a bit like a Canadian architect proposing that Raleigh-Durham augment their city hall with a tobacco plantation.

Now Zeidler's proposal was just about as tacky and ill-conceived as I could've expected. With its glitzy light show and colourful cubes it looks like it was designed by Britney Spears' set designer.

Re-post of Hume and renderings from the city website

Link to article

Four downtown visions

Finalists in the competition to remake Toronto's iconic square take a green, respectful – maybe too respectful – approach
Feb 21, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume
Urban Issues writer

Regardless of who wins the $40-million competition to redesign Nathan Phillips Square, the city's most important civic space will be much the same, though completely different.

The four finalist teams made their first public presentations last night, and though each offers something unique, all have shown a remarkable degree of respect for the original square.

Designed by the late Finnish architect, Viljo Revell, in the late 1950s and early `60s, Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square are his masterpiece. Despite the indignities visited upon the complex since it opened in 1965, it remains one of the finest pieces of architecture in these parts. Indeed, it has become a Toronto icon; the building that more than any other defines the modern city.

That hasn't stopped the square from falling victim to budget cutbacks and short-sighted uses.

When the competition was launched last year, there was consensus that something had to be done. This is the place, after all, where Torontonians mark special occasions – New Year's Eve, winter festivities, Christmas, Grey Cup and Stanley Cup parades (as if).

The four proposals, in order of personal preference, are:

# Plant Architects (Toronto): This elegant and subtle scheme envisions the raised podium as a lawn and sculpture garden. On the east side of the square, where the ramp leads up to the podium, there would be a small outdoor eatery – Café Revell – and a new tree canopy along the neglected Bay St. edge. Much energy has been focused on the "Queen St. Forecourt," which would consist of a dense planting of trees along Queen as well as new seating and lighting. A permanent stage with change rooms, etc., a half-level below street, would be added as would a new restaurant west of a "skating support pavilion," both on an axis with the skating rink. These new structures would be connected by the raised walkway on the west side of the square.

# Baird Sampson Neuert (Toronto): Perhaps the most overtly environmental of the submissions, it proposes the podium become a green roof where rainwater is collected and filtered. The raised walkway would be transformed into a "watergarden promenade that serves as an aqueduct for irrigating linear planters and for conducting water to cisterns at the east and west sides of the square." Photovoltaics and wind turbines would also feature prominently. Again, the west edge would be turned into a large green area, with trees, a pool and the new Peace Garden. The team also suggests a large, transparent "meeting place pavilion" for the west side of the square.

# Rogers Marvel (New York): The big gesture in this proposal is a raised woodland/meadow that would extend almost from Queen to the north end of city hall. Planted with trees and flowers, it would form the roof of a glass-enclosed public room, complete with fireplace, that overlooks the existing skating rink/reflecting pool as well as a new, smaller pond to the west. The podium around the circular council chamber would also become a meadow and the Peace Garden stay where it is.

# Zeidler Partnership (Toronto): The loudest of the quartet, the highlight of this scheme is a raised garden that undulates as it moves along the west side of the square by Osgoode Hall. It culminates at Queen as the roof of a two-storey glass-enclosed restaurant. The entrance on Queen would be brought to life with a "moveable garden," a grid, of large, 2.4-metre-by-2.4-metre, concrete planters. The walls of the raised walkway that runs along Queen would be replaced with glass to allow a greater sense of connection and better views in and out. The proposal also suggests a new glass entrance at Queen and Bay. And that obtrusive ventilation shaft that now extends along Queen would be replaced by a series of vertical funnels that would be as sculptural as they are utilitarian.

It's clear the teams have been extremely reluctant to mess with the square. They have treated it with kid gloves, but perhaps the gloves should have come off. One can't help feel the submissions are overly restrained, maybe for good reason, but strangely incomplete. The most polished of the lot, from the Plant group, emphasizes a sense of access – physical, emotional and aesthetic – that would recast Nathan Phillips Square as a cultural as well as a civic destination.

In any case, the jury has until March 6 to make its decision.

Public input is invited, however, and the four entries, each consisting of six panels and a model, will be on display at City Hall until Feb. 26.

Construction is expected to start next year.

Baird Sampson Neuert Architects

baird-1-lg.jpg

baird-3-lg.jpg

baird-2-lg.jpg

baird-4-lg.jpg

baird-6-lg.jpg

Plant Architect

plant-aerial-day-lg.jpg

plant-resto-lg.jpg

plant-peacegarden-lg.jpg

plant-theatre-lg.jpg

plant-aerial-night-lg.jpg

Rogers Marvel Architects

rogers-axon-lg.jpg

rogers-p2-bay-lg.jpg

rogers-from-towertop-lg.jpg

rogers-from-hilltop-lg.jpg

rogers-queen-near-glass-lg.jpg

Zeidler Partnership

zeidler-aerial-day-lg.jpg

zeidler-elev-pavillion-lg.jpg

zeidler-night-light-lg.jpg

zeidler-restaurant-lg.jpg

zeidler-undul-gardens-lg.jpg

Having just visited the exhibit this afternoon, I am even more firmly behind the Plant proposal. In addition to the points raised by benjaijin (all of which are excellent), the plant proposal is the only one that IMHO seriously addressed the issue of the podium level. The Cafe/Bar Revell (to be located at the south-eastern tip of the podium) coupled with a granite clad forecourt surrounding the council chamber (which is a stunning but inaccessible space right now) is an absolutely brilliant idea.

AoD

Given that City Hall and the square are such significant architectural milestones in the history of Toronto, it's no surprise that a major overhaul of the square is just not going to happen. Remeber that these 4 offices were shortlisted from a much larger list. Most likely the radical schemes were eliminated after the first round. The intention of this competition was never to start from scratch.

That said, is surprising how cluttered many of the proposals are. That's really the biggest failure of the place as it stands. The walkways are underused but I would argue that their main function is to define the square anyway, so there is less need to actually walk on them, though the view from them is nice.

You really needed to see the presentation to understand how horrific the Ziedler scheme is. It's all about monster light shows and moveable planters--like a big Vegas mall. Ick.

The Baird Sampson Neuert scheme was all over the place, very cluttered and unfocused. They extended the front collonade of the Hall ... for no reason at all. It was also quite similar to the Zeidler scheme in it's undulating garden along the west side of the square. Disappointing.

The Rogers Marvel approach had some good ideas, but the view in their presentation of a campfire on the new hill shows how out of touch they are with Toronto. It looked like Tent City was relocated to NPS. Overall a bit to crazy for NPS.

The Plant scheme was the simplest and most realistic. They took the clutter out of the square and put it outside the square, making the centre more open. The stage is actually a permanent set of stairs or 'bleachers' that fits into the overhead walkway making a new route in the experience of the place. All other teams had the stage absent from their plans, calling it 'temororary.' That's what we have now and it looks like hell, because City staff doesn't have time or a place to put the temporary stage somewhere else. Better to make it a permanent fixture and design it well.
Plant also propposed reoppening the observation level on the east tower. Most likely outside the scope of this project but still a great idea.

I haven't been to City Hall yet, but so far I'm thinking Plant.

I have to admit that I am not exactly blown away by any of the schemes, though Plant seems like it might be decent. My one quarrel with the renderings of it so far is the stage canopy, which is pretty boring. It would be fun to have something more sculptural.

However I am dissapointed overall that the finalists were not bigger architectural/landscaping names. The TWRC competitions, for example, have consistently attracted--and selected--some of the most cutting-edge firms in the world. The Central Waterfront round being the best example. But here we have three decidedly second-tier Toronto firms, and one international of limited prestige. Where are KPMB, aA, and Hariri, let alone Field Operations or Foster and Partners? The TWRC seems to have figured this end of things out, but City Hall evidently has not.

The Plant proposal is good, but the disappearing fountains are unnecessary. The square already has a reflecting pool and fountains, that's its focal point. More fountains would be redundant and distracting. Plus, the big open area in front of City Hall was meant to be, well, open (that means getting rid of the peace garden too). Thumbs up to the stage that doubles as stairs.

I like the Rogers idea of cutting back the walkway at Bay St. But that hill? I see what they're going for - sitting on your muskoka chair on the lake with the woods in the background...and the skate shop is supposed to be the cottage I guess. Blah...completely inauthentic, pure cheese.

Speaking of cheese, WTF is with the Zeidler multi-coloured swooshy thing??? Gross. This is City Hall, not Clifton Hill. I don't know the west side very well, but I wonder if there's any potential for a walkway connecting Queen St to the Osgoode Hall grounds, open to both NPS and Osgoode but its own entity...sort of like a Philosopher's Walk kind of thing. No frills, no gimmicks. It's hard to tell exactly what's being proposed from the pictures.

And please, no movable concrete planters, bonfires, or friggin' wind turbines!!!

Here are some site plans and notable features from the proposals (unfortunately they aren't full res, so one won't be able to appreciate the full details contained therein).

Roger Marvel:

20070221NPS001.jpg

Site Plan

Baird Sampson Neuret:

20070221NPS002.jpg

Site Plan:

Zeidler et al.:

20070221NPS003.jpg

Site Plan

20070221NPS004.jpg

20070221NPS005.jpg

2 panels on lighting - one of the better aspects of their proposal. While it might be a bit too much if left on for the whole night, having "themed" lighting could be a fun (and crowd magnet) if used for for a limited period of time.

PLANT:

20070221NPS006.jpg

Site Plan

20070221NPS007.jpg

Panel detailing their intent for the observation deck, podium, walkways and PATH.

AoD

However I am dissapointed overall that the finalists were not bigger architectural/landscaping names. The TWRC competitions, for example, have consistently attracted--and selected--some of the most cutting-edge firms in the world. The Central Waterfront round being the best example. But here we have three decidedly second-tier Toronto firms, and one international of limited prestige. Where are KPMB, aA, and Hariri, let alone Field Operations or Foster and Partners?

I wouldn't be too upset about the lack of big names. We've got plenty of archicelebs at work in this city already. Competitions are great because they allow smaller, talented firms to distinguish themselves. In fact I'd prefer some smaller up-and-coming firms to involve themselves in major projects here. The fact that they have no laurels upon which to rest keeps them honest, careful, and at the top of their game unlike, say, Daniel Libeskind (ROM, or any of his other recent projects) or even the normally solid Norman Foster (Pharmacy). Toronto as a proving ground for younger firms will make it much more interesting and architecturally significant than a city that simply collects the works of global brand architects that build everywhere else.

I think that this is further proof that Eb Zeidler (one of Toronto's most known architects) is well past his best before date. It is refreshing to see some new and up-and-coming firms establishing themselves through competitions like this and last year's Harbourfront revitalization bids.

Alvin, that was you taking pictures next to me around 3pm today.. lol

I really have to go and see the Baird Sampson Neuert models, etc...can't really see why people are so against it.

So far, Plant is in the lead for me...

Back