Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Good idea, Alvin. Now we'll have something like the Louvre pyramid and its underground space.

Time for Toronto to get its own version of the Da Vinci Code!

NPS Design Competition Public Meeting - Feb 20

Nathan Phillips Square Design Competition

Public Exhibition and Presentation of Final
Design Submissions

Four design teams were
selected by the Competition
Jury to proceed to the final
stage of the competition:

Baird Sampson Neuert Architects, Toronto
Plant Architect Inc., Toronto
Rogers Marvel Architects, New York

Zeidler Partnership Architects, Toronto

The opening of the public exhibition and special presentations of the final design proposals will take place as follows:

Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West

6 - 7 p.m. Public Exhibition Opening
Main Floor Rotunda
7 - 9 p.m. Design Team Presentations
Council Chamber
The public exhibition will remain on display at City Hall from Wednesday, February 21 to Monday, February 26, 2007, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.

This event is being hosted by the Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization Public Advisory Group.

Louroz

A building expansion on that patch of grass between the walkway and Osgoode Hall would be a terrible idea.

The underground expansion idea would be fantastic, but would never see the light of day from the city.

I've got to question the $6 million price tag as well. Didn't we just renovate the Mayor's Office and committee rooms 5 years ago?

I would rather see the money redirected towards the NPS revitalization project which will benefit the whole city. Tough cookies if the mayor's staff have to be located elsewhere in City Hall.

Louroz

If you don't have enough space for the people, maybe a simpler solution is to figure out if you need all those people 8o

And if by chance you figure out you do need all those people, then why do you need to locate them all at that location.

If you don't have enough space for the people, maybe a simpler solution is to figure out if you need all those people

The mayor's staff hasn't really changed size since Lastman put together his team.

Of course, staff are being displaced by conference room space. That said, I'd be for cutting council down to about 22 people from the current 44.

what about using the old city halls throughout toronto and linking everyone together with video conferencing?

If you don't have enough space for the people, maybe a simpler solution is to figure out if you need all those people

And if by chance you figure out you do need all those people, then why do you need to locate them all at that location.

What's the present space-usage status of Metro Hall, anyway?

The councillors' offices don't take up that much space. They're pretty tiny, considering the demands placed on them. The may'rs office is also not particularly big. The city clerk's office takes up much of that floor. As I said, the committee rooms are woefully undersized. They should at least have one able to seat about a hundred, and they shouldn't have columns obstructing people's views.

AlvinofDiaspar - how dare you suggest removing parking under city hall - why, you might have the dangerous effect of city staff taking transit, cycling and pedestrian issues seriously :D

I like Alvin's idea. Put the planned museum of the history of Toronto beneath the Square, for instance. Expand the AGO under Grange Park. Turn the PATH system into a destination by locating new cultural facilities there. Creatively exploit the earth beneath our feet, as well as the air above our heads, for new buildings.

^ Good ideas. Who knows? We might see this as part one or more of the NPS revitalization proposals.

I specially like the idea of a Louvre style glass sculpture with a view to an underground Toronto history museum and other public areas (washrooms, restaurants with a skylight to the square above, conference rooms, etc.).

Don't agree - I prefer the "use Maple Leaf Gardens" idea. A Museum of Toronto should be a celebrated place, not a cheap knockoff of the Louvre.

It's today. I've been waiting to see this square fixed up for a long time and I can't wait to see the proposals.
Unfortunately, I might not be able to attend the presentations and will stop by later though to see the models and exhibits.

Back