Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

This is all kind of insulting. Nobody should be celebrating the massive incompetence here. Sure, some elements came out great and it's better than what it used to be but it's surely not award worthy. The project as a whole is one very appropriately located shrine to government mismanagement: over budget, deadlines missed by years, watered down by design by committee, and unfinished despite the higher budget. Right at the city government's doorstep. Perfect.

Are they kidding? Maybe the presentation should take place along the desolate Bay Street side of NPS.
Pretty low standards I'd say.

Last edited:
During the clobbering at the Bird's Nest:
DSC_0462.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0462.jpg
    DSC_0462.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 910
The actual fireworks this year were terrible, the worst ever, it was a few min long - not really sure if they just decided cut back funding compared to previous years

The actual fireworks this year were terrible, the worst ever, it was a few min long - not really sure if they just decided cut back funding compared to previous years

Last year they went on for about 20 minutes - it was intense!

Last year they went on for about 20 minutes - it was intense!

Exactly ! And years before that it's generally pretty good as well; While I didn't time it, it was probably a few min max this year; Seems they cut back a ton ? From having the event on 4 different nights a few years back; Fireworks at Mel Lastman for New Years have been cut in recent years ;

Exactly ! And years before that it's generally pretty good as well; While I didn't time it, it was probably a few min max this year; Seems they cut back a ton ? From having the event on 4 different nights a few years back; Fireworks at Mel Lastman for New Years have been cut in recent years ;

I think they have cut back a lot on new years stuff in Toronto because City TV just wants to show the stupid ball in new York because that's all people care about on new years now is some stupid crystall ball being lowered from a flagpole in the middle of new york city.

I think they have cut back a lot on new years stuff in Toronto because City TV just wants to show the stupid ball in new York because that's all people care about on new years now is some stupid crystall ball being lowered from a flagpole in the middle of new york city.

One problem was that Toronto's New Years bash was boring. It would be interesting with world famous singers and musicians as a cultural showcase.

One problem was that Toronto's New Years bash was boring. It would be interesting with world famous singers and musicians as a cultural showcase.

Toronto is a far more sophisticated place than it was 20 years ago but I find many of these shows the city puts on don't reflect that. They're low brow, boring, cheesy, and usually have some bozo yelling 'yo yo yo To-Ron-To, make some NOIZ'. Sorry, I'm not some homeboy from the ghetto.

Compared to the NYC show with Kathy Griffin-Anderson Cooper ending in 'start spreading the news' and confetti, why would anyone bother going to the Toronto New Years' Eve show? It's embarrassing. I went once; never again.

The tree lighting at Dundas Square was a welcome departure from what we usually get. The National Ballet's Nutcracker, costumes, razzle dazzle, etc. That's more in tune with what Torontonians expect in a show. The City Hall bash should take some notes.

Last edited:
Toronto is a far more sophisticated place than it was 20 years ago but I find many of these shows the city puts on don't reflect that. They're low brow, boring, cheesy, and usually have some bozo yelling 'yo yo yo To-Ron-To, make some NOIZ'. Sorry, I'm not some homeboy from the ghetto.

Compared to the NYC show with Kathy Griffin-Anderson Cooper ending in 'start spreading the news' and confetti, why would anyone bother going to the Toronto New Years' Eve show? It's embarrassing. I went once; never again.

The tree lighting at Dundas Square was a welcome departure from what we usually get. The National Ballet's Nutcracker, costumes, razzle dazzle, etc. That's more in tune with what Torontonians expect in a show. The City Hall bash should take some notes.

Couldn't agree more. These sort of events really lag behind what Toronto has become in terms of entertainment quality. The Calvalcade of lights was a mess even on the basics: Even at the back elevated walkway, there wasn't a speaker close enough to actually be able to hear what was going on on the stage, and what you could hear was lagging behind another speaker.

I had guests in from out of town and it was embarrassing.

We have some world class entertainment products in the city, but whoever is in charge of these sorts of events (NYE included) needs to be replaced or perhaps given the budget and latitude to create a product that people actually want.

Back