Hamilton Tivoli Condos | 75.59m | 22s | Aventus | McCallum Sather

This site at 108 James Street North and the Centre Point Plaza beside it have been acquired by Aventus Developments in collaboration with Burlington-based Society Developments, with plans to redevelop and revitalize the historic site, as reported in early April of 2022 by: The Hamilton Spectator, The Public Record and Urbanicity.

The information in the database reflects the previous 22-storey proposal by Diamante and McCallum Sather Architects, and will be updated when a new proposal arises.

A photo of the interior of the Tivoli Theatre taken from McCallum Sather's site:
TivoliD20116_B039_Toward-BalconyWEB.jpg

The theatre is still listed as an endangered building by the Hamilton Municipal Heritage Committee, which they define as: "Properties where there is a perceived immediate threat to heritage resources through: demolition; neglect; vacancy; alterations, and/or, redevelopment."

Potential updated plans for Tivoli Condo will see increasing to 35 and 40-Storey buildings above a two-storey podium, a development that will include the Tivoli property and the neighbouring Wilson Street commercial plaza. A design will be ready for public feedback near the end of this year

Here’s the news link for updates on Tivoli
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/tivoli-cracks-1.6975417

Potential updated plans for Tivoli Condo will see increasing to 35 and 40-Storey buildings above a two-storey podium, a development that will include the Tivoli property and the neighbouring Wilson Street commercial plaza. A design will be ready for public feedback near the end of this year

Here’s the news link for updates on Tivoli
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/tivoli-cracks-1.6975417
That rendering isn’t exactly endearing, but it’s too early to make a judgement yet. A few of us knew this was coming, but I am cautiously optimistic that this might be the project to formally break the height limit downtown (where there isn’t precedent or zoning tomfoolery). The Tivoli has been targeted for redevelopment for well over a decade now, and for the mere fact the city will want this saga over with as soon as possible- well, they might just let this through.

This isn't the first proposal to push the height limit - 117 Jackson is as well, and is a bit further into the process.
Imo being next to Landmark Place gives that site precedent and a leverage that most others downtown don’t have. If we were to consider this a “slippery slope”, going taller here would be more significant than on Jackson for that reason alone- in my books at least. Both are games to prod the city to budge, but this seems a bit more… daring given the site. Especially if the proponent ties fixing the ticking-away-theatre to their proposal. It’d be quite the fire under the City’s a*s.

I'll believe this when I see it - the proposal is almost a decade old now.

Will the theatre, if it's still standing, be available to the public I wonder, it's pretty much the only theatre left in the core.

Scratch that, it IS the only original theatre left in the core. For a city that used to boast over 50 of them, we can't afford to lose this one.

Back