Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

What a hulking mess - and it's still growing. Ugh!!

In all fairness, the proportions aren't the problem. The Mirvish Village development has similar massing and that one is turning out great. It hammers home how important design choices are. Quality materials, colour, texture, and avoiding huge swaths of homogeneity can make all the difference.

I'll wait till this is done to pass judgement but even if it turns out horribly, it's very fixable down the road.

In all fairness, the proportions aren't the problem. The Mirvish Village development has similar massing and that one is turning out great. It hammers home how important design choices are. Quality materials, colour, texture, and avoiding huge swaths of homogeneity can make all the difference.

I'll wait till this is done to pass judgement but even if it turns out horribly, it's very fixable down the road.
Can you explain how (apart from demolition) "if it turns out horribly, it's very fixable down the road." ??

PXL_20210804_201119496.jpg
PXL_20210804_201203970.jpg
PXL_20210804_201222004.jpg
PXL_20210804_201506354.jpg
PXL_20210804_201510630.jpg

They didn't even try to fit the neighbourhood. Part of the reason why a building like Market Wharf feels like it's still part of the urban fabric of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood is the use of brick. Would it really have been such a huge financial sacrifice for Pemberton to try here? It's such a shame to see something so mediocre appear on The Esplanade.

Also, way to galvanize the neighbourhood against future condominium projects, regardless of what's being proposed. Once people learn to expect crap like this, they won't want any more of it. (Which in cases like this, is honestly very fair.)

With the upcoming Corktown Subway hub development plan, modern residential and mixed use buildings are planned that don't reflect the historic character of St. Lawrence Market. I have a feeling anything east of Sherbourne will be more in line with this type of project whether we like it or not. But, I'm definitely with you on the hope of preserving the character of the neighbourhood around the market.

With the upcoming Corktown Subway hub development plan, modern residential and mixed use buildings are planned that don't reflect the historic character of St. Lawrence Market. I have a feeling anything east of Sherbourne will be more in line with this type of project whether we like it or not. But, I'm definitely with you on the hope of preserving the character of the neighbourhood around the market.
Because when you are building a new subway line, during a housing crisis and climate crisis, the most important thing is always neighbourhood character!

this development is terrible, no doubt. But it’s not terrible because it’s 30 storeys tall.

Because when you are building a new subway line, during a housing crisis and climate crisis, the most important thing is always neighbourhood character!

this development is terrible, no doubt. But it’s not terrible because it’s 30 storeys tall.
Fixed that "But it's not terrible JUST because it's 30 storeys tall."

During the week of August 9th, 2021, the Construction Team will continue with regular construction activities on the site while following the guidelines set out by Ontario’s Health officials and the Ministry of Labour’s recommendations.

As construction continues on the North side, work this coming week on the NW side will focus on pouring the 7th floor slab and implementing 7-8 verticals. On the NE side, construction work will include the pour of Lv 6 slab and 6-7 verticals. We will also be pouring lv 5 slab for the link to both towers

Construction work progressively continues on the South side. On the SE side, construction crews will be implementing pour for level 13 slab and level 13-14 verticals. Construction work will also include pouring Level 17 slab and level 17-18 verticals on the SW side.

In other construction progress, window installation will continue on the south side.

Back