Toronto Therme Spa/West Island at Ontario Place | 45.15m | 9s | Therme Group | Diamond Schmitt

In the Cost Guide - 2 lines below the item for UG parking garages - there's an item for (Premium for unusual circumstances) with a rate of up to $215/sf. I assume it's been added as a worst case scenario.

That’s right. Which takes it to $480 PSF. I can’t show my work in public, but I am very confident that $450-million is a good ballpark number.

@innsertnamehere makes some good points. The garage will also generate revenues and serve other uses. However it will also incur its own operating costs and even, before the Therme lease expires, demolition costs.

I think the questions of cost, infrastructure and placemaking are linked. Is this the right place to concentrate large institutional uses (in big opaque buildings) that require a lot of parking?

I guess construction has started?

a) Not yet. Notice has been given to those w/boats in the marina to get out in the next short while as that's in the way of work which will begin in the next few weeks.

b) The work in question is site servicing (gas/hydro/sewer/water) and not the literal construction of Therme or any other building or attraction, yet.

2023 Cost Guide from Altus, for those interested, in relation to the cost to build an underground garage.

1678115270111.png

Attachments

• Altus_Group_Canadian_Cost_Guide_2023.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: rbt
I know for a fact im in the minority here, but after reading this, ive got 0 concerns about this anymore. In fact I like it.

my only concerns were the hundred or so trees around the old log flume ride. Apperently theyre going to plat 3000+ trees just on the west island alone.

This is litterally going to be a net benefit for the city. INSANE improvements and benefits to the. sure were spending $600 million for a parking garage, but thats because this place was built in the 70s in the time where the car was the future and transit was forgotten about. The parking is REQUIRED. even if the government built it themselves for triple the price.

As far as i know MX knows about this gap in transit and is looking at "something" but were still a decade away from that.

Ive yet to hear any other argument other than "selling public land" which is just wrong and straight up ignorant

I know for a fact im in the minority here, but after reading this, ive got 0 concerns about this anymore. In fact I like it.

my only concerns were the hundred or so trees around the old log flume ride. Apperently theyre going to plat 3000+ trees just on the west island alone.

This is litterally going to be a net benefit for the city. INSANE improvements and benefits to the. sure were spending $600 million for a parking garage, but thats because this place was built in the 70s in the time where the car was the future and transit was forgotten about. The parking is REQUIRED. even if the government built it themselves for triple the price.

As far as i know MX knows about this gap in transit and is looking at "something" but were still a decade away from that.

Ive yet to hear any other argument other than "selling public land" which is just wrong and straight up ignorant
If you took that $600million and spent it on restoring the ontario place pods, clearing out old structures and landscaping the islands into a park space... you'd probably still have $500million leftover.

As much as I personally think Therme would actually work well on the West Island, I do hope that a new 2100 car parking garage will make it that much easier to downsize nearby surface parking.

It would be really nice to emphasize Exhibition GO as a way to get to the area, especially for people from the suburbs. When I was a kid and Ontario Place was an amusement park of sorts, my family always drove all the way down to the Exhibition parking lots... that shouldn't be necessary for nearly as many visitors anymore.

Yay! I've been supportive of this project since the beginning, so if more join our minority we'll eventually be a majority! 😊

As much as I personally think Therme would actually work well on the West Island, I do hope that a new 2100 car parking garage will make it that much easier to downsize nearby surface parking.

It would be really nice to emphasize Exhibition GO as a way to get to the area, especially for people from the suburbs. When I was a kid and Ontario Place was an amusement park of sorts, my family always drove all the way down to the Exhibition parking lots... that shouldn't be necessary for nearly as many visitors anymore.

As long as they leave enough space for tailgating at BMO Field. Granted, football culture isn't as strong in Toronto as other parts of Canada but it does fill up for big games.

See also Star at

Ford said he could not divulge any details that will be shared within days by Infrastructure Minister Kinga Surma.

“If I told you now, my minister of infrastructure would shoot me on the spot. So can you stay tuned till next week, but I think it’s a fabulous idea — and there’s a tremendous opportunity,” the premier said.

Surma said last Thursday that “since 2019, our government has been working with the Ontario Science Centre to explore including science-related tourism and educational programming as part of our vision to bring Ontario Place back to life.”

Asked if the current Don Mills site of the Science Centre could be repurposed for housing, Ford left the door wide open.

This is not good news for the residents of Flemingdon park that's for sure. I assume this is supposed to garner more support, but it seems to have increased the public backlash. Unless it's a satellite campus I don't see how this would be good given that the current science centre is massive compared to the pods. There are fundamental issues with Ontario place and neither the spa nor a Science centre relocation will fix that. Lake Shore, and the relative population desert are enemy number 1.

Asked if the current Don Mills site of the Science Centre could be repurposed for housing, Ford left the door wide open.
Seems like a classic case of Doug wetting his beak on a development deal.

So he wants the Ontario Line to go from the Science Centre to Ontario Place. And now he wants to move the Science Centre to Ontario Place. Which is it, Doug?

Back