Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

I think the Entertainment District is being obliterated only in its current physical form. I think it's being pushed to the west, so Parkdale has developed an awesome and growing nightlife.

That's an entirely different crowd, though. If you want to dance to Reggaeton with 3,000 of your closest 905ers you don't end up going to the Drake.

Personally, I think it's bit of a stretch to compare TIFF, which includes a nationally sigificant cultural use funded partially by the tower to other projects like M5V and the others - which provides no such benefit.

AoD

August 11

From Pearl St. looking south at the parking lot, the Royal Alex is on the right.
2757986904_9df9d0c154_b.jpg

Better late than never

Now that Roy Thompson Hall is going to be completely surrounded by highrises it would be a good time to think about completing the original design that called for a conical spire; am I correct in thinking the current design is a cost cutting compromise? I will post an image of the original design if I can find one.

3Dementia did us one better and designed a complementary condo to go along with the original RTH.

Crossposted from the Architecture forum (click the blue button next to 3D's name to view the thread):

Roy Thomson Hall condo.

OK 42... this one's for you (your idea)...

This creature is probably the nicest building I've ever sketched.

So here's the catch... instead of art, parks or other public amenities the developer has to kick in $3 million so Roy Thomson can get the gorgeous elliptical, mullion-free glass exterior that Erickson designed originally for the hall (the close-ups show the mullions and concrete cap that we got).

And RTH also gets an appropriate $ annuity.

BTW, my RTH condo isn't as outrageously difficult to build as it may look... it's essentially a box with a couple of translucent curved glass "add ons" that echo the diamond/mullion free glass of the new and improved RTH exterior. The curved glass was inspired by AGO and the built form of course echoes the Ritz.

Me likey.

rthcondo.jpg

The land costs are also a restrictive issue in this area and especially this site (i.e. if the land cost $10,000,000 and is spread across 100 units in mid-rise structure the cost per unit is $100k, however spread across 450 units in the 50s tower that's a bit over $22k per unit – the consumer is better positioned to absorb the costs in a high-rise, unless it’s a super luxury mid-rise structure).

It would be nice if the developers were asking land costs of $22k of a high-rise but instead are charging the $100k per unit of the mid-rise. :eek:

Now that Roy Thompson Hall is going to be completely surrounded by highrises it would be a good time to think about completing the original design that called for a conical spire; am I correct in thinking the current design is a cost cutting compromise? I will post an image of the original design if I can find one.

I'd love to see the original design.

Oh I thought that was 3D's render, not the original design.
I like what we got, but the original is pretty awesome as well.

I don't really buy the argument about developers unable to make money on anything smaller than 40 stories.

We've seen plenty of smaller mid rise projects in this town under construction or in the planning stages.

Just look up Freed and Brad Lamb's portfolio of projects. In the end it's all about the developer. Some developers try to fit in with the neighbourhood and others don't.

I too have reservations about such a tall building on a midrise street. It certainly does not sound appropriate or desirable. That being said, I look forward to seeing the plans (and with the right setbacks, etc, it could work).

Midrise Street.I dont know about that section of University to Spadina.I think we are going to see a lot more of the proposed 40-50 story buildings in that vicinity close to University and the 30-35 story,example M5V,Charlie towards Spadina.Is the city planning dept.not talking about the tapering affect as development goes westward.

you were correct... i believe grey is wrong - i dont think thats the original design...

i would love to see it myself...

There's some artistic license in there, but I think it's as close as we can get without a trip to the library. Erickson intended the glass to look like 3D's render, but the builder cheapened out (I think all the different shapes of glass were too expensive) and added that thick mullion lattice.

To Project End:

Will the tower be set back to about Pearl St? It would make sense to have a midrise Ritz-style podium with the tower set back so it doesn't directly interfere with the midrise nature of the block... I would be dissapointed with Clewe's complete disregard of surroundings if the tower was smack against King.

Back