Toronto The Yards | 113.11m | 33s | TAS | Giannone Petricone

Not sure it's misleading when we should be presuming renderings could include placeholders. But I agree, disappointing to say the least. :(

Perhaps this is a hint as to who won the RFP for the adaptive reuse? Though I haven't seen any news from Council in that respect.

"Our Community Stakeholder Group came together to talk about what the potential private partners are proposing to bring to the project, and help guide the direction of ongoing decision-making and future negotiations.
This is an important step forward but there is still much more work ahead for the community and the City. We anticipate that City staff will make a recommendation to City Council in early 2020 on the best private partner to help revitalize the Destructor, based on the feedback that was heard from the community in 2017 and earlier this week. Then, we will hold additional public meetings and workshops to determine the detailed plan for a dynamic community hub at the Wellington Destructor."

I wonder how the recently announced Ontario Line alignment will affect this development.

westsegmentmap.jpg

The latest plans for 2 Tecumseth from 2019 have three levels of underground parking under the former slaughterhouse building.

I wonder how the recently announced Ontario Line alignment will affect this development.

View attachment 269995

The latest plans for 2 Tecumseth from 2019 have three levels of underground parking under the former slaughterhouse building.
I'd be surprised if the tunnel weren't diving below that level already - it's going to be heading to a deeper level than that to run underneath the rest of the buildings to the northeast, and these trains can handle steeper gradients than freights.

I'd be surprised if the tunnel weren't diving below that level already - it's going to be heading to a deeper level than that to run underneath the rest of the buildings to the northeast, and these trains can handle steeper gradients than freights.

The question is - what's the rationale for putting OL at grade there other than potentially enabling that oversold cross-platform transfer.

AoD

The question is - what's the rationale for putting OL at grade there other than potentially enabling that oversold cross-platform transfer.

AoD
It now looks like that cross-platform transfer may be gone: there's now a single thick line on the north side of the GO tracks.

To an arrangement that could potentially be one of the most inconvenient for transfers, of course.

AoD
My guess is that now that they've figured out where they will drop or remove the TBM from the ground in Garrison Point, that they don't want to tunnel to the west of that spot. Going under the GO tracks on a slight angle means a difficult and expensive dig, so the cross-platform transfer is gone.

...so they're going full on Boston dig with that line?

The Ontario Line has a good chance of being one of the most expensive rapid transit lines in North America if not the world.

I believe Ontario Line will be around $9B USD ($12B CAD).

I'll stick with stuff currently under construction, and have not made any inflationary adjustments :
  • London Crossrail: $20B USD
  • High Speed 2 (High speed rail is rapid transit right?): $100B USD
  • Grand Paris Express. 4 lines under construction (since 2014) as a single project: $27B
  • Barcelona Line 9 (since 2009): $26B

For north American competition, we have:
  • California HSR: $80B USD
  • Honolulu Metro: $10B USD Probably closer to $20B USD with an inflation adjustment; bidding on the first phase was in 2009 with ground-breaking in 2011.

For proposals at the same stage as Ontario Line (design underway + construction tender qualifications started), I think the Melbourne Suburban Rail Loop beats everything proposed in the Toronto combined (GO Expansion + Ontario Line + Eglinton West + Yonge North + SSE), though all those Toronto projects will finish first if funded.

Last edited:
Other large US infra projects:

Metro Purple Line Extension (LA) $8.2B USD
Amtrak Gateway (NYC) $12.9B USD
East Side Access (NYC) $11.1B USD
BART San Jose Extension $8.7B USD
Second Avenue Subway (NYC) $6B USD
MTA System Modernization (NYC) $51B USD

2 Tecumseth Street

Key Stats:
  • Five-acre site whose dramatic topography echoes the now buried Garrison Creek
  • Approximately 1,000,000 square feet of mixed-use development including for-sale condominiums, purpose-built rental, affordable housing, commercial, office, retail, light industrial, community and event spaces
  • Five buildings, including two towers (one 22 and one 30 storeys), one mid-rise (seven stories) and two low-rise (both two storeys)
  • Over 62,300 square feet of public realm improvements and new parks
  • A four-metre-wide bike path along the site’s southern boundary
  • Underground parking spaces for 861 bicycles and 1,332 vehicles
There’s so much to say that we’re currently developing a new website especially for this project. Stay tuned for launch in mid-October 2020.

Untitled-1-1024x307.jpg

Back