Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Indigo will open a first-of-its-kind concept store in downtown Toronto offering shoppers booze as they browse the books.

A release issued Wednesday says the new 16,000 sq. ft. store will open within The Well development, located between King and Front streets west of Spadina Avenue, this fall.

The store will offer an “edited selection of Indigo’s curated assortment of books,” with a heightened focus on lifestyle products, such as records, plants, home decor, and “in-store experiences.”

Renderings were made available to Retail Insider:

Will have to check it out, I quite enjoy indigo and their book selection for me is usually adequate, though I'm a little skeptical on the merchandising focus here.

indigo-2.png

Screen-Shot-2023-08-22-at-8.32.01-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2023-08-22-at-10.06.00-PM.png

The headline is a little confusing - the article makes it clear. This is meant to be an event space when it opens - hence, the selling of beer and wine (it will likely have a bar license). I'm not sure that many people will want to get wrecked at an Indigo on an ordinary Tuesday, but maybe people will want to get wrecked while Margaret Atwood is reading from her latest novel. And after they've got wrecked, they can pick up a monstera plant for their living room.

The headline is a little confusing - the article makes it clear. This is meant to be an event space when it opens - hence, the selling of beer and wine (it will likely have a bar license). I'm not sure that many people will want to get wrecked at an Indigo on an ordinary Tuesday, but maybe people will want to get wrecked while Margaret Atwood is reading from her latest novel. And after they've got wrecked, they can pick up a monstera plant for their living room.
They can call the space "Heather's Wrecking Room"

Saw this on the news last night. I think it's a great idea. I used to live walking distance from there and could definitely imagine spending the occasional afternoon sipping and reading.

ETA after I read the other posts. The news clip made it sound like a coffee shop type of atmosphere, not an event space. That's cool, but I'd prefer a neighbourhood library bar type of thing.

The Warner Music Group offices are now open on the upper level, south-east corner of the retail concourse. The escalators between the main retail mall entrance at the corner of Front and Spadina and the second level of the concourse are also now operational.

20230828_133552.jpg

20230828_133655.jpg

Some new areas of the upper ground concourse are now open to the public. First of all, the south side of the central concourse is open from Spadina through to the driveway loop access area between the two south-east residential buildings, 450 and 470 Front Street. A second area has also opened to public access, from the westerly north - south pass through area, almost, but not quite all the way to Front Street. Photos from the south side of the central concourse first, followed by a couple of views of the lower ground level taken from the newly opened areas, and one photo of the newly opened dead end west section.

The site appeared to be much busier with trades working away in multiple areas than has been typical recently.

20230830_125852.jpg

20230830_130100.jpg

20230830_130238.jpg

20230830_125917.jpg

20230830_131000.jpg

The western north-south passageway now open.

20230830_131057.jpg

Back