Toronto FourFifty The Well | 157.4m | 46s | RioCan Living | a—A

From the Tridel Livecam:

image1.jpg

Jan 23, 2021

6866EEA4-9522-421D-9B11-AD0ED69EF03B.jpeg

1E41C276-0D00-4A0B-8FE3-DD4D126E62D5.jpeg

I was wondering what they were going to do with this double height floor? They are inserting a steel floor.

FF37B813-C2DF-4C62-B131-28870FE1ADB2.jpeg

6378BA07-8F2B-4552-B57A-FA66206E3BB6.jpeg

7373A930-65E6-4552-A7D3-7F606F133B13.jpeg

AF729C80-07AB-4424-B0DF-E6DEF5C0AA3E.jpeg

I am curious to see the completion of the "fin aesthetics" along Front St. The image gallery doesn't seem to have the decided final version.

6F3A25C2-5EEC-44DC-B6AD-D6E407315B8D.jpeg

9691B5A1-01DD-4F52-A883-69A9073B0061.jpeg

73D3BD84-206E-493C-88B9-3407CBC14FF2.jpeg

D9A10773-4669-4366-873D-9CFF2564A0F2.jpeg

E548A53E-0E68-4E15-A2E1-2C25517B1722.jpeg

6EF49B81-B054-487C-B044-BF474BBFEEA3.jpeg

96B003C3-369F-485E-B5EC-7C9B486E0DEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021

I was wondering what they were going to do with this double height floor? They are inserting a steel floor.

View attachment 376347

View attachment 376348

The original plans contained a double floor height space for a movie theatre. Marketing the space as a theatre did not work out, and the space ended up being leased for office occupancy. Presumably the decision to redeploy the space for offices was made after the construction drawings and permit applications were completed and the contracts for construction had been signed - and it was easier to implement the changeover to two single floor office space areas as a supplemental change adding the steel floor, rather than revisit the original design contracts and adding a concrete floor instead.

The original plans contained a double floor height space for a movie theatre. Marketing the space as a theatre did not work out, and the space ended up being leased for office occupancy. Presumably the decision to redeploy the space for offices was made after the construction drawings and permit applications were completed and the contracts for construction had been signed - and it was easier to implement the changeover to two single floor office space areas as a supplemental change adding the steel floor, rather than revisit the original design contracts and adding a concrete floor instead.

Still sad by this change. The neighbourhood is going to be left without any theatres while RioCan Hall is redeveloped and even after it's complete we're losing access to one of the world's best IMAX screens currently at Scotiabank Theatre.

I know this is all on the backdrop of theatres going the way of the dodo but removing screens isn't gonna help.

Last edited:

First glance we seem to be getting some restaurant variety but Bridgette Bar, Lulu Bar, and National Bowl all belong to Concorde Entertainment Group from Calgary, so I expect a Joeys/Earls/Local Eatery formulaic dining experience.

Guess it was silly of me to think an independent restaurant owner could afford rent here.

Last edited:
First glance we seem to be getting some restaurant variety but Bridgette Bar, Lulu Bar, and National Bowl all belong to Concorde Entertainment Group from Calgary, so I'm expect a bit of a Joeys/Earls/Local Eatery formulaic dining experience.

Guess it was silly of me to think an independent restaurant owner could afford rent here.

And virtually all the other eateries will likely be O&B

We have like 10ish confirmed tenants and how many retail spaces left? Give it time, folks. Neighbourhoods don't get patina over night - expecting this to be anything like Toronto's older main streets is foolish. It's not something that can be curated.

Who doesn't love a completely blank, dead storefront?
To be fair, that's the fault of AGCO (Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario). They require cannabis stores to cover themselves up so that the interiors aren't visible from the public realm. It's a very conservative policy that makes cannabis stores far more intrusive in vibrant main streets that generally have interior-exterior visibility and porosity.

EDIT: "Regulations under the federal Cannabis Act prohibit cannabis retailers from making cannabis and cannabis accessories visible to youth. In Ontario, the Registrar’s Standards state that licensees must ensure that cannabis and accessories are not visible from the exterior of the premises. However, the exact manner in which these requirements are operationalized is determined by the retailer. While a number of stores have opted to frost or cover their windows, this is not a requirement for cannabis retail stores in Ontario." Credit to @DSC for writing to the Ontario government.

Basically, cannabis and related products can't be seen from the outside and that can be done in any way. Many stores choose to cover themselves up, while others have a smart interior design.

Last edited:
To be fair, that's the fault of AGCO (Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario). They require cannabis stores to cover themselves up so that the interiors aren't visible from the public realm. It's a very conservative policy that makes cannabis stores far more intrusive in vibrant main streets that generally have interior-exterior visibility and porosity.
They need to stop treating cannabis as a sin. And agree, their reefer madness policies are de-souling our storefront communities, IMO...
------
Back more on topic though...

We have like 10ish confirmed tenants and how many retail spaces left? Give it time, folks. Neighbourhoods don't get patina over night - expecting this to be anything like Toronto's older main streets is foolish. It's not something that can be curated.
I've got a bad feeling they've set the retail rental prices for this place that only the lucrative franchises can afford to set up shop here. /sigh

The DD proves that it can be done well.

EDIT: "Regulations under the federal Cannabis Act prohibit cannabis retailers from making cannabis and cannabis accessories visible to youth. In Ontario, the Registrar’s Standards state that licensees must ensure that cannabis and accessories are not visible from the exterior of the premises. However, the exact manner in which these requirements are operationalized is determined by the retailer. While a number of stores have opted to frost or cover their windows, this is not a requirement for cannabis retail stores in Ontario." Credit to @DSC for writing to the Ontario government.

Basically, cannabis and related products can't be seen from the outside and that can be done in any way. Many stores choose to cover themselves up, while others have a smart interior design.
Yes, the windows do not have to be blocked but I still see NO reason why being able to see inside a store selling weed is somehow worse than seeing inside a store selling beer, wine or gin!

Back