Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

BDP designed it from my understanding - Riocan brought them in from the UK as they also designed extremely similar shopping facilities in cities like Belfast.

Victoria Square - Belfast :)

Update from today. Note: Photo taken from the 5th floor.

20190211_144539_resized.jpg

Yes, Victoria Square in Belfast is somewhat similar but FAR smaller and has had some problems that may be more to do with its location than its design. https://victoriasquare.com/visiting/ and https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ortunity-says-centre-management-36608897.html
I found it quite large when I visited it in June - but yes, rather quiet. I gathered that Belfast was simply a rather small city and that it was probably a little too large for the city. I believe I was there on something like a wednesday afternoon too, which probably contributed to the quietness.

Exciting to think that The Well will actually be significantly larger.

Beautiful looking interior ! lots of detail in the photo up above . With this indoor Mall and the future park over the rail lands . This area will be a great place to shop and hang out for the locals and tourists in the Spadina Avenue corridor !

They should install heated pavements for the outdoor walkways. Heated walkways would make the spaces safer and more pleasant in the winter for pedestrians.

I believe the pavements here will have glycol heating in them

I know the development team traveled into the UK and other European cities to get some precedents on this semi-exterior arcade design. Don't know if they ever saw -20C temps though. The air will be fresh!

Climate change is occurring. 50 year projections show Toronto will be roughly 3 degrees warmer in winter. The fresh-air days of minus 20 will still occur, just a little less frequently.

my bet is that it ends up resembling it and actually improves on it.

There are a lot of reasons to by hyped by this project.
Love the optimism! Allied have consistently done excellent work and they've shown their dedication to king west, so I'm cautiously excited.

Back