Mississauga The Southlands | ?m | 72s | Camrost-Felcorp | a—A

I've always felt that Mississauga City Centre should have two subway lines. One going to Union Station, and one going, via the airport, to Yonge and Sheppard.

One can dream.
It absolutely should, in fact the entire GTA should be crisscrossed by subways and higher order transit by now. We'll have added what, 1 new subway line in 30 years by the time the OL is done? Two if you count Eglinton, if it ever opens... As a result much of the GTA might have tall towers but they're really just vertical suburbs at this point. At our current rate of transit building it'll take decades, if not generations to turn the GTA (outside of downtown Toronto) into something urban and not car-dependent.

The Sheppard Line gets no love? Jokes aside, it's absurd to lump everything into a 'subways = urbanity' basket, because in a 21st century, car-dependent, North American city, what you get then, is literally, Sheppard east of Yonge. A largely underused subway line, sitting beneath a consistently-traffic-snarled arterial, used by folks who'd 'rather take their car anyways because it's more convenient'...

.5km longer than STC to union but we will all ignore that fact. We will also ignore that STC would have been serviced better by RER and yet is getting a subway. And let’s not make the assumption all trips are to the financial district.

View attachment 509581View attachment 509582
Not quite the same however as it depends on how the subway line would travel. Scarborough Town Centre to Bloor-Yonge will be about a 19 kilometre subway ride, and should take a little over 30 minutes on the subway to travel that distance.

A theoretical Mississauga subway extension would go from Kipling, go to Sherway, then somehow make its way over to Hurontario before travelling up around Hurontario somewhere to MCC. Roughly 12km just on the extension alone. Bloor-Yonge to MCC would be looking at about 25-26km total, with a travel time of 47-50 minutes to Bloor-Yonge. Actually much further!

And who said I thought that STC isn't better served with RER service?

Not quite the same however as it depends on how the subway line would travel. Scarborough Town Centre to Bloor-Yonge will be about a 19 kilometre subway ride, and should take a little over 30 minutes on the subway to travel that distance.

A theoretical Mississauga subway extension would go from Kipling, go to Sherway, then somehow make its way over to Hurontario before travelling up around Hurontario somewhere to MCC. Roughly 12km just on the extension alone. Bloor-Yonge to MCC would be looking at about 25-26km total, with a travel time of 47-50 minutes to Bloor-Yonge. Actually much further!

And who said I thought that STC isn't better served with RER service?
There’s no reason a western extension must dip down to Sherway. There are more direct routes. And the stop spacing could be quite large.

It should not dip down to Sherway. Let's build subways on grids or at least along streets that exists. This trend in Toronto of building subway lines like suburban style curved streets really needs to stop.

BFB993ED-FF10-4541-B141-1327F2A37C51.jpeg

Is it just me or does this seem way taller than 72s based on this render?

You're welcome, although it isn't exactly my diagram, because there are other illustrators who contribute as well. Unfortunately, there are very few illustrators in Southern Ontario...

The Sheppard Line gets no love? Jokes aside, it's absurd to lump everything into a 'subways = urbanity' basket, because in a 21st century, car-dependent, North American city, what you get then, is literally, Sheppard east of Yonge. A largely underused subway line, sitting beneath a consistently-traffic-snarled arterial, used by folks who'd 'rather take their car anyways because it's more convenient'...
I was including Sheppard there, for some reason I thought it was older than 2002... But yea, that's kind of what I was touching on. It's almost too late now, we've fallen so far behind on building transit that we might never see an urban, non car-dependent GTA outside of select parts of Toronto proper.

I was including Sheppard there, for some reason I thought it was older than 2002... But yea, that's kind of what I was touching on. It's almost too late now, we've fallen so far behind on building transit that we might never see an urban, non car-dependent GTA outside of select parts of Toronto proper.

It did open in 2002 but you said 30 years and while you meant 30 years going back from the time OL opens, @ProjectEnd might’ve considered the last 30 years.

Back