Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

I may have missed this, is the entire addition going to be framed in steel? If so, would the interior walls separating units/hallways be carrying more sound than concrete? I live in a double drywall and spray foam row house and it's still only about 75-80% and I doubt the developers would be outfitting with the same effort.

Last edited:
No - the residential portion will be a normal poured concrete structure.

tumblr_mxx7e6WjAW1rcoly3o2_400.gif

Aren't most cranes anchored at the onset (bottom of the excavation) and eventually climb up with the rest of the structure?

Are you sure?

Remember the steel reinforcement was attached to the cast in place structure of the existing of office building. It's not like they will be building a concrete structure on top of a steel one. I suspect the weight will be transferred to the existing concrete columns and core with the "steel cage " meant to keep the concrete columns from bowing outwards.

Aren't most cranes anchored at the onset (bottom of the excavation) and eventually climb up with the rest of the structure?

Typically, but this building is anything but typical construction. From the pictures I've seen looks like the crane is anchored over the existing elevators, probably because it's the only part of the existing building that could support the crane. My guess is that when they do the transfer slab for the tower they use that as the base for a new crane that would climb with the building.

Remember the steel reinforcement was attached to the cast in place structure of the existing of office building. It's not like they will be building a concrete structure on top of a steel one. I suspect the weight will be transferred to the existing concrete columns and core with the "steel cage " meant to keep the concrete columns from bowing outwards.

There is no way that concrete columns designed for a 18 storey building would be able to support an additional 37 floors of new construction. They probably couldn't even support an additional 5 floors of new construction. Also if the steel was just to reinforce the concrete there would be no need to take it to bedrock and create new foundations. That steel is taking the weight of the new building, and I would be willing to bet that the steel was tied to the existing concrete to keep the steel from bowing, not the other way around.

There is no way that concrete columns designed for a 18 storey building would be able to support an additional 37 floors of new construction. They probably couldn't even support an additional 5 floors of new construction. Also if the steel was just to reinforce the concrete there would be no need to take it to bedrock and create new foundations. That steel is taking the weight of the new building, and I would be willing to bet that the steel was tied to the existing concrete to keep the steel from bowing, not the other way around.

They have installed new vertical structure columns surrounding the existing building to support the new residential floors independently of the existing building structure.

Back