Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

University Ave and the areas around it should be the densest parts of the city, imo. The subway access is right there - the scale is already large/monumental - and currently yet the area feels very institutional and becomes a dead-zone at night. I get that European boulevards are charming and lovely - but I agree that this street and its surroundings should go super tall and be a 24 hour neighbourhood... i.e. more Hong Kong than Vienna.

The majority of the avenue is institutional (from College to Elm; Armoury to Queen)- and will probably remain as such for the foreseeable future given the types of use. The only stretch that has development potential is this:

upload_2017-3-10_14-43-37.png

The end result of building "supertalls" isn't urban Hong Kong, but the stretch of Connaught Road in Central. What you need here isn't height (in fact, there is an argument to be made that the recent new developments has wrecked a sense of coherence established by the even heights of the buildings along University Avenue), but good architecture and landscape and urban design to create a sense of place and a reason for being there. Projects like Artists' Alley just off the avenue can be what provides the density to enliven the area. Think of what landscape architecture did for Queen's Quay - that's what you should be replicating here (not literally in terms of the design, but the type of approach and the quality of work).

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-10_14-43-37.png
    upload_2017-3-10_14-43-37.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
I agree about improvement of the public realm - although I don't think Connaught Road is an apt comparison - it suffers from the elevated highway and it has very little pedestrian permeability - it's closer to Lake Shore than to University. I am thinking more the density of Queen's Rd., Hennessy Rd., Nathan Rd. and so forth. They are 24 hour streets that are incredibly dense - maybe University will never have that kind of scale/ building fabric but I don't think there's anywhere for University (and environs) to go but up & I don't think we should be afraid of that at this stage - it is literally the centre of the city.

I agree about improvement of the public realm - although I don't think Connaught Road is an apt comparison - it suffers from the elevated highway and it has very little pedestrian permeability - it's closer to Lake Shore than to University. I am thinking more the density of Queen's Rd., Hennessy Rd., Nathan Rd. and so forth. They are 24 hour streets that are incredibly dense - maybe University will never have that kind of scale/ building fabric but I don't think there's anywhere for University (and environs) to go but up & I don't think we should be afraid of that at this stage - it is literally the centre of the city.

University Avenue will never been those - it's ceremonial axis, for one. As to Connaught Road - it's not the elevated highway, it's the buildings turning its' back on the roadway even when there is no flyover that is the issue. Interesting you should raise Nathan Road as a comparator - for the longest time build height is severely restricted due to Kai Tak- what made it lively wasn't height, but street level engagement via retail. Ironically, there is one stretch where University Ave. may do well to emulate:

https://goo.gl/maps/k9auMfazSLv

Nathan Road by Kowloon Park - with relatively generous sidewalks and foliage.

AoD

Last edited:
University Avenue will never been those - it's ceremonial axis, for one.

AoD

Unfortunately yes, although that doesn't mean there is nothing we can do to improve it. We could widen the center island to provide more space for people to walk and sit on. Plus something a bit more interesting than just grass and tiny trees.

And more unfortunately, University ave as it ceremonial axis, is far from being ceremonial enough. There are too many gaps, as well buildings that are too short for the width of the avenue itself. I don't expect architectural consistency for Toronto any more, but at least don't show so many huge gaps. For the width of University, those 3-5 story buildings look completely out of proportion.

Today:

P1040700.jpg
P1040711.jpg
P1040717.jpg

Attachments

• P1040700.jpg
    P1040700.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 445
  • P1040711.jpg
    P1040711.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 426
  • P1040717.jpg
    P1040717.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 424
Whoa, what happened to that building in Chinatown from the first picture?(!) Its side has been vandalized rather dramatically with white spray paint. Is the building defunct? Kind of surprised to see that kind of American-style vandalism in a picture of Toronto.

Whoever graffitied that Chinese-themed building (I'm thinking more than one) should be found and prosecuted; just one person's opinion...

Whoa, what happened to that building in Chinatown from the first picture?(!) Its side has been vandalized rather dramatically with white spray paint. Is the building defunct? Kind of surprised to see that kind of American-style vandalism in a picture of Toronto.

Don't be surprised....many Torontonians love to copy Americans in several stupid ways

That building is always covered in graffiti. Every few years they repaint it. Most of Chinatown is covered in tags. It's close to Kensington market there were a lot of empty storefronts with no upkeep (until recently when every other store became a marijuana dispensary)
So it's an easy target.

Back