Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Enough of the tangents. The One discussion only please.

Yeah exactly. I really don't get this obsession with Mizrahi that some posters seem to have. Seems to me they take certain delight in his pitfalls which carries subtle hints of anti-foreignism. Lets keep the discussion on the building.

On topic, where is the line drawn on below-grade work? I'm assuming the rebar for the supercassions is exempt from it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah exactly. I really don't get this obsession with Mizrahi that some posters seem to have. Seems to me they take certain delight in his pitfalls which carries subtle hints of anti-foreignism. Lets keep the discussion on the building.
Don't make me post it again.

1bwa1620.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have such mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand it is always great to see a project, especially a potentially iconic or leading edge one like this, under construction. There are so many entrenched and infuriating barriers to development even when you are one of the good developers, trying to do things right, so every single day of construction is a victory in our broken system.

However, on the other hand I have gradually become outraged at how often we see Mizrahi violating norms (see Stollery demolition), rules (see un-permitted underground construction which led to a Notice to Comply and then Stop Work Order), and now laws (see site work continuing today and over the past two weeks in clear violation of Emergency Order O. Reg. 82/20, Section 30(ii) in the middle of the biggest public emergency in decades or perhaps centuries).

I am really disturbed by what we are seeing at this site. And if I were an investor, tenant, purchaser, lender, etc. I would be wondering what other corners he cuts. If he is willing to openly and publicly violate norms, rules, and laws, what is he doing behind closed doors?

On the one hand it is always great to see a project, especially a potentially iconic or leading edge one like this, under construction. There are so many entrenched and infuriating barriers to development even when you are one of the good developers, trying to do things right, so every single day of construction is a victory in our broken system.

However, on the other hand I have gradually become outraged at how often we see Mizrahi violating norms (see Stollery demolition), rules (see un-permitted underground construction which led to a Notice to Comply and then Stop Work Order), and now laws (see site work continuing today and over the past two weeks in clear violation of Emergency Order O. Reg. 82/20, Section 30(ii) in the middle of the biggest public emergency in decades or perhaps centuries).

I am really disturbed by what we are seeing at this site. And if I were an investor, tenant, purchaser, lender, etc. I would be wondering what other corners he cuts. If he is willing to openly and publicly violate norms, rules, and laws, what is he doing behind closed doors?
Nobody is perfect, and let's all look in the mirror before looking for others' flaws. Bashing Mizrahi is rather tiring and you keep repeating your stance over and over again, which is tiring as well.
Can we stick to construction updates only here? It's a magnificent project, wish it could be built quicker.

Based on the trends of their Flagship stores - there'll more than likely be a boardroom and that will be on the lower level - https://9to5mac.com/2019/07/17/apple-store-boardroom-furniture/

Yes, definitely the place for a boardroom. But there's a lot more room down there for more than that. The ceilings are double height so it won't necessarily feel like a basement. It's possible that Genius appointments will be down there as they've been trying to get them off the sales floor in recent Apple Store layouts. I could see it being designed like a home to demonstrate HomeKit. Some newer stores have HomePod listening rooms.

apple_champs_elysees_experience_room.jpg

Photo: 9to5mac

akrales_190919_3670_0435.jpg

Photo: The Verge

For right now, I'm most curious about what unique touches Toronto's flagship will get. Those super columns will really give Norman Foster something interesting to play with.

Mizrahi's attitude and approach is known to those he's interacted with in the industry. Long story short, Kinda like DT down south, none of this is new or novel to this project. Just higher stakes than ever.

That's not to say the 'attitude' or 'approach' are entirely bad - there are certain things he does do very well. But there are also shortcomings.

I recall that time when his workers jackhammered the Art Deco carved stone ornaments of the Stollerys building in front of all to see at Yonge and Bloor. He doesn't really seem to care about burning bridges.

Nobody is perfect, and let's all look in the mirror before looking for others' flaws. Bashing Mizrahi is rather tiring and you keep repeating your stance over and over again, which is tiring as well.
Can we stick to construction updates only here? It's a magnificent project, wish it could be built quicker.
You can stick to construction updates if you wish. Not sure how many of those there will be in the near future. I retain the right to comment on any aspect of the project and its developer including the ongoing blatant and public violation of a lawful emergency order during a generational crisis.

Back