Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Elevator core now sprouting up above the adjacent.

86D314F3-939F-4230-8542-008ED330146C.jpeg

There's already a few office buildings in the nearby vicinity so having a condo tower here provides a nice mix to the area IMO.

There are a lot more condos than offices. Charles Street is full of tall condos. Office buildings have a lot more heavy foot traffic and should be built closer to the subway. We have mostly offices in Financial District and not have condos in that area is not a problem. This area already has a lot of residential all around and lot more is coming up in Yorkville.

The small site suits residential floor plates I think.

I'm not sure an office development would have been viable here given the site size, the cost of land, and the floor plate needs of the large companies who could afford to lease the space.

They could have consolidated some adjacent land parcels. Although I guess the demand for office space isn't that high at this time for that location. So I would have preferred if the city had changed the zoning to commercial. 20 years from now, this intersection may have a lot more demand of office space. Who knows!

The CIBC and Bay buildings are ripe for demolishment and new structures built in their place.

CIBC building is still newish (less than 50 years old) and we have a lot older office buildings in the city. Even if CIBC and Bay get replaced, the best we may get is the same office space replaced, not a net new addition, which will be a shame. I would prefer to wait and get this area matured up and then think about adding office space here. We don't building intersecting heavy subway lines like that every year.

There are a lot more condos than offices. Charles Street is full of tall condos. Office buildings have a lot more heavy foot traffic and should be built closer to the subway. We have mostly offices in Financial District and not have condos in that area is not a problem. This area already has a lot of residential all around and lot more is coming up in Yorkville.

They could have consolidated some adjacent land parcels. Although I guess the demand for office space isn't that high at this time for that location. So I would have preferred if the city had changed the zoning to commercial. 20 years from now, this intersection may have a lot more demand of office space. Who knows!

CIBC building is still newish (less than 50 years old) and we have a lot older office buildings in the city. Even if CIBC and Bay get replaced, the best we may get is the same office space replaced, not a net new addition, which will be a shame. I would prefer to wait and get this area matured up and then think about adding office space here. We don't building intersecting heavy subway lines like that every year.
I'm not sure what the point of belabouring this thread with this speculation is. It didn't happen for several reasons. A couple of posts are enough for that. Take the office talk to a thread for an office building in the area that may be redeveloped.

If this is real, Apple picked a great building if they need a car dealership downtown Toronto. Imagine the space being used as a Apple Car showroom in 5-10 years.

At risk of turning this into a Fruitco thread (again - as it tends to happen every few months) - what I really wanted to know is whether they will supply their own custom glazing (monolithic glass panels a few stories high is par the course)

EDIT - better yet - monolithic glass panels a few stories high in sliding doors. The way the ground floor is designed it is almost begging for this treatment along Bloor (if not also Yonge).

AoD

Last edited:
I would also like to see Apple Store discussions move to the Apple Store discussion thread as well, please...
Because there will be an Apple Store in this building, discussion of the Apple Store in this building is relevant here. If people want to talk more about the chain in general, then yes, they should take it to the Apple Store thread in our Retail Forum.

Because there will be an Apple Store in this building, discussion of the Apple Store in this building is relevant here. If people want to talk more about the chain in general, then yes, they should take it to the Apple Store thread in our Retail Forum.

I get that. But it seems to noodle into the store chain in general.

As well as, I rather suspect from the renderings of whatever moves into that retail space (likely Apple) is going have unique open space with those angled super columns looming overhead which'll likely going to knock socks and footwear off of anyone who walks into there. So I'm not sure what there is else really to talk about until the Apple (likely) trucks start moving their wears into there...

...either way though, if my stated peeve is offending, I'll keep quiet about it for now on. As I am not the one with the final word here. My apologies if I was suggesting otherwise. /bows

Hmmm.....

20 230612 STE 11 OZ
Application Type: Rezoning
Date Submitted: 18/12/2020
Description: Proposal for a by-law amendment application to the approved 85-storey mixed-use building by adding an additional 9-storeys for residential uses. The proposed addition will bring result in an increase to 85,664 square metres of total gross floor area comprised of 67,995 square metres of residential gross floor area and 17,669 square metres of non-residential gross floor area. A total residential unit count of 505 is proposed.

Trying to squeeze in more floors into the approved height? Adding height?

Perhaps the hotel will be converted to condos?

That was my first thought too - but the non-res GFA in the new application is the more or less the same as the non-res GFA in the set of SPA documents dated April 2020. (17,669m2 vs 17,662m2)

Bloor.png

Back