Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

1724077486297.png

This rebar is typically on the floor with the lower hanger attachment (the first of the six floor groups) which in the case would be 65, so setting up forms for 66? Not that it matters a whole lot . . .

Perhaps in the late 70s, early 80s it was “stabby” but most of Downtown Yonge was pretty sketchy in those days. At least so I’m to understand from Garth and Gord and Fiona and Alice; I’m not old enough for personal experience.
Okay, I'm very late in answering this (but I'm actually finally catching up with this way over-heated thread), so let me say this: joking around about TO by the beloved SCTVers notwithstanding, I went to high school downtown in the late 70s, early 80s, and Bloor-Yonge wasn't remotely stabby. This corner was home to the Uptown, the Towne, and the Plaza cinemas, while a couple of blocks south was the Showcase. People were around the area all the time because of the movies, and I never thought twice about whether there was a reason to not visit...

...but further south on Yonge was another matter. Sam The Record Man and A&A's created huge sidewalk traffic just north of Dundas station, but yeah, go just north of them by a couple buildings, and there were some sketchy blocks there.

Okay, I'm very late in answering this (but I'm actually finally catching up with this way over-heated thread), so let me say this: joking around about TO by the beloved SCTVers notwithstanding, I went to high school downtown in the late 70s, early 80s, and Bloor-Yonge wasn't remotely stabby. This corner was home to the Uptown, the Towne, and the Plaza cinemas, while a couple of blocks south was the Showcase. People were around the area all the time because of the movies, and I never thought twice about whether there was a reason to not visit...

...but further south on Yonge was another matter. Sam The Record Man and A&A's created huge sidewalk traffic just north of Dundas station, but yeah, go just north of them by a couple buildings, and there were some sketchy blocks there.

Yup! I remember it well.

Does anyone know where to find the architectural plans for the 328m version of the building? I can only see the original 306m version or the 338m version on the city of Toronto website.
The AIC website still has supporting documentation for the taller building. https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ils/?id=4855702&pid=230049&title=1-BLOOR-ST-W

Unfortunately the City replaced all the architectural plans with only 3 sheets (which are still the 94-storey plans from Dec 2020).

I know this is getting way off-topic but I distinctly remember visiting my dad in 1970 after my parents separated that year, and going with him to a record shop on Yonge St.. I'm guessing it was either A&A or Sam's because at the time he lived in a second-floor apartment in a dilapidated old house on Elm St. across from Sick Kids and we walked there and back. He was spending way too much time perusing the albums and as a 7-year-old, I was getting a bit cranky and whiny and wanted to leave. My dad bought a few albums and as we left the store, a young man approached him and asked for some change. My dad told him he was sorry but he had none, and the guy started berating my dad and hurtling F-bombs at us. The barrage of obscenities continued even after we'd hurriedly crossed the street. Part of the reason I remember it so distinctly was that the whole thing scared the crap out of me and I'd never heard that particular F-word before. It was also the first time I can remember feeling sorry for my dad. My dad(now 80) is still sharp as a tack and says he doesn't remember any of this, but I'm now 61 and my first Yonge St. experience has been forever etched in my memory! It's also amazing how little some things change!

Last edited:

Back