Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

So, the retail space is now going to be a LCBO and not the fruit company? That would be the most avant-garde thing for Ontario, ever.

No.

The LCBO is going in at the north-east corner of the Manulife Centre.

I'll be so excited when I can look up at this and say..

"WOW! There are only 200+ buildings in the world that are taller than this!"

All I'll be able say is "wow"..

The 200th and something tallest building in the world.. right before my eyes..

wow..
i mean according to Wikipedia first Canadian place is already the 105th tallest building in the world, which is definitely wrong I imagine it's now closer to 110 or 120 but that means the one is definitely gonna be around 100th when complete. If complete today it would be around the 90th tallest building in the world I believe. What I find crazy to think about is that when first Canadian place was built, it was the 6th tallest building in the world! and the tallest outside of new york and Chicago!

i mean according to Wikipedia first Canadian place is already the 105th tallest building in the world, which is definitely wrong I imagine it's now closer to 110 or 120 but that means the one is definitely gonna be around 100th when complete. If complete today it would be around the 90th tallest building in the world I believe. What I find crazy to think about is that when first Canadian place was built, it was the 6th tallest building in the world! and the tallest outside of new york and Chicago!
To be the sixth-tallest in the world today, we'd have to build a building as tall as the CN Tower.

I propose we stack 2 towers that we currently have in construction/proposed to make this possible! Anyone down for The One Sky Tower? Or maybe the Union Gehry Park Tower? 🤣 🤣

Would it be too much of a dream if it all connected all the way to Yonge and Queen, making those big pedestrian shopping streets like in Europe?

A redesign of this section of Yonge will begin in a few years; and construction will then follow.
The section from Queen to Carlton is set for its do-over in the 2023-2025 timeframe.
The City is currently looking at going North of Carleton to in/around Davenport in the late 2020s

South of Bloor, the design will likely bare a resemblance to the section further south.
Wide sidewalks, trees, decorative paving (likely Yorkville Granite north of Charles).

Pedestrian-only.........probably not.
Pedestrian priority, definitely.
Still under discussion is whether bike lanes will be in the design. But you can be pretty sure that it won't be 4 car lanes in the future.
Yea, this connection of Toronto's two premier shopping streets (Queen Street West and Yonge Street) is a wonderful "accidental feature" of the Downtown Yonge makeover.

The City and the area BIAs really should consider designating Yonge Street and Queen Street W. a single pedestrian/shopping corridor, once the Yonge Street revitalization is complete. Just to make the two streets more cohesive in peoples minds. Also it would definitely help tourists.

5. If Yorkville does extend east to Bloor-Yonge, it would only be natural for its expansion to continue north/south along Yonge Street as well. If this happens The One and the Apple Store would effectively become the centre of Yorkville at the junction of Bloor and Yonge.

We've been talking a lot about the Apple Store, but what about the second major retail unit? Wikipedia says this building is supposed to have two major retail units. Is this still planned?

Based on these renderings, the second retail unit would be on Yonge Street, directly south of the Apple unit. This historic facades are being retained, but they have free reign over the interior. And eyeballing, it looks like this floorspace of this unit could be as big or bigger than the Apple Store, depending on how it's configured (eg, number of floors).

This could be a very nice retail space. Mizrahi is likely targeting another upscale, flagship-style store for this unit. Finding that tenant might be difficult, given how disconnected from Yorkville this location is, but I'll remain optimistic.

If it materializes, this would be the first high-end retailer fronting Yonge Street. That actually significant in that it would likely attract other high-end retailers to Yonge Street; particularly to the retail units in the buildings directly south..

5048-83559.jpeg

There's already that nice renovated one at Charles and Yonge. Which means this will be a Rexall instead!
You underestimate the Weston family’s willingness to saturate their monopoly upon a given region. Bear in mind there are already three Shoppers within about a 100m circle in that area (Yonge, HBC, Manulife Centre).

Back