Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

http://www.investorvillage.com/uploads/51871/files/tdw10.pdf

tonnes of details on the 1 Bloor West land assembly starting at p. 29

16321315645_84cf4ff24e_b.jpg

Attachments

• 16321315645_84cf4ff24e_b.jpg
    16321315645_84cf4ff24e_b.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 1,146
Thanks for that information. I wonder why One Bloor East is listed at 70 storeys. Normally, city documents seem to list floors such as the mechanical penthouse that UT doesn't include, resulting in, if any different, a higher number than you see on this site. Maybe it's 70 above the podium?

They would only have failed if the building were worthy of preservation. Since it isn't, they have fulfilled their moral/ethical responsibility. And I like how they acted quickly to ward off some 12th hour attempt at trying to designate it. Like I said...they should be given an award.

We are our own worst enemy here in good ole TO.

Though, speaking of enemies, Mizrahi might not want to depend on getting any favours from KWT's office in the future.

Thanks for that information. I wonder why One Bloor East is listed at 70 storeys. Normally, city documents seem to list floors such as the mechanical penthouse that UT doesn't include, resulting in, if any different, a higher number than you see on this site. Maybe it's 70 above the podium?
Maybe they're using old information? I recall that One Bloor was proposed at 70s at one time before being bumped to 75s.

What does "parcels under contract" mean?

Hue's Kitchen (774-776 Yonge) building is on the heritage list. So if the developer wants to demolish it they have to give the City 60 days notice, in order for the City to have time to decide if they want to formally designate it. At that time City staff would compile a report with history on the property. The building itself is from 1885. from this photo you can see the brick was painted before
2013105-stollerys-1970s.jpg

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/01/a_visual_history_of_yonge_and_bloor/

Attachments

• 2013105-stollerys-1970s.jpg
    2013105-stollerys-1970s.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
Though, speaking of enemies, Mizrahi might not want to depend on getting any favours from KWT's office in the future.

That's what I thought but this will be soon forgotten. KWT can't afford to keep herself out of the process of arguably Canada's most valuable plot of land. Nor is she going to deliberately hurt the project because:
A) that'll only delay it and keep the land an empty lot for longer
B) Something subpar will come out as result

My prediction is that the developer will say, ok let's sit down like adults and cooperate to build something that the city can be proud of. KWT has no option but to agree.

Given what transpired, I am concerned about how the facade of Hue's Kitchen will be dealt with, and what the city is prepared to do about it.

AoD

It's in the heritage inventory as a listed property, though it's not designated. So it has a better chance of protection than Stollerys did, but I would guess it'll be demolished as well.

On another note, I talked to Kristyn Wong-Tam today, who noted that 'Historic Yonge Street' was being studied as a potential Heritage Conservation District. The boundaries of the district would have included 1 Bloor Street West, so although a designation wasn't yet in place, it likely would have been protected in some form down the road.

I asked her about the likelihood of a special meeting being called to save whatever is left of the building. She said even if a special meeting were approved, which would have been unlikely, the matter would still have to go to Heritage Preservation Services for study, which would have taken weeks if not months.

She also said many businesses in the area are upset that they weren't given any notice of demolition.

Too Little Too Late

Councillors have no power over demolition/building permits. Building permit staff have no power to deny the permit if all requirements are met. It sounds like she was made aware of the permit (that's what the motion is about, making sure councillors are aware) and started the process to see if it should be designated, however the developer started demolishing much quicker than anticipated. The only thing that can stop it is City Council passing a motion to give notice of intent to designate the property. Next meeting is not until February 10, although a special meeting could be called if enough councillors are on board.

Here is the timeline:

Jan 7 - Demolition Permit application submitted
Jan 12 - Letter submitted to Toronto and East York Community Council from KWT requesting staff review potential to designating the building heritage http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-74715.pdf
Jan 13 - Toronto and East York Community Council approved KWT motion. http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2015.TE3.100
Jan 16 - Demolition permit approved
Jan 17 - Demolition commences

If this was so important, then why did the city wait until the store announced the closing. If the building was so important, it should of been designated years ago. This is just KWT trying to get free press.

Given what transpired, I am concerned about how the facade of Hue's Kitchen will be dealt with, and what the city is prepared to do about it.

AoD

If it's designated, it could be moved to another property. My guess is that it's not unique enough to get designation.

This is looking good we get to replace awful frontage long Bloor. The Yonge properties are almost as bad except for Hue's Kithen which is fairly attractive although stranded and out of context.

Back