Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I like the small footprint tall tower designs for Yonge aswell but for this intersection corner plot id like sonethong on a large scale. Theres a lot of crappy businesses in small ugly buildings on Yonge that I would love to see be replaced with better retail.

Here we go again...

I like the small footprint tall tower designs for Yonge aswell but for this intersection corner plot id like sonethong on a large scale. Theres a lot of crappy businesses in small ugly buildings on Yonge that I would love to see be replaced with better retail.

Many of those "crappy building" are run down Victorian structures. Once they get restored they could support fine boutiques or restaurants. The limitation is not the buildings but the pedestrian traffic and clientele. Since this part of Yonge is so close to Bloor/Yorkville I'm very optimistic. Same with 5 Saint Joseph, 1 Yorkville.

Soil testing rig on site the last 2 mornings - snapped by Caltrane on SSP

IMG_20141218_082047.jpg

Soil testing rig on site the last 2 mornings - snapped by Caltrane on SSP

How far back would you say that rig is from Bloor? Do we know yet the full extent of this assembly?
Wondering if (a), the scotiabank branch is part of this assembly?
and (b) how much land going from Bloor south on Yonge are we looking at here?

Cause clearly convenience stores selling e-cigarettes and phone charger cables are the prime example of good businesses we need more of on Yonge?

Not solely, but yes, they are examples of the narrow-fronted businesses which contribute to the strong pedestrian atmosphere of the Yonge Street.

People love to pick on convenience stores but anyone who lives downtown can attest to the fact that they are a godsend. They're not the most sophisticated or exciting retail, but who cares? The moment they are gone everyone would realize how much they miss them.

The building housing Hue's Kitchen, 774 Yonge Street, has been sold as well.

And just found out this today as well - the Le Chateau next to Hue's Kitchen is closing in January/February. Apparently they have been putting in the final negotiations with buyers.

It looks like they are racking up the buildings south of Stollery's to make this site even larger. This site is going to be massive.

Everything south to where the Rogers store is my guess

Why should private business throw money at fixing up their Yonge Street frontage when the city won't spend a nickel of it's own money on Yonge? The businesses along Granville have spent a lot of money on their storefronts on Granville after the Canada Line which included great work on turning Granville around.

Would you spend money on your building if it sat on an ugly and neglected city street? Why would resturants open up when they can't even have money making patios because the sidewalks are dangerously thin?

Back