Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I just walked by around 8:30PM, they were still dealing with it. Making lots of racket, I'm guessing they were pulling pieces apart?

I was confused, I thought they were tearing it down and that's why I jumped into the thread to figure out what was going on.

... pearson had sustained 80 gusting to 102 at one point early this morning. That 80 sustained is a new monthly record. The gust fell 13 short of the monthly record. Shocked there was not more damage around the city. For The One, it's possible the winds were higher to do the canyon affect in the area.

This happens with winds over 100 kms/hour. Anchoring it instead of weighing it down would have been better. Perhaps the granite tiles should have been removed and a temp sidewalk installed. The tiles are likely going to have to be redone. Anyways, the point of hoarding is to protect from above.

The big boys where on site as I was doing some shooting and learn a few things that maybe in the thread already since I haven't been following it for sometime.

The project is on hold until the court case decide if the remaining building gets torn down, the facades is retain or the whole building stays.

My personal view that the building should be move either to the south end on Yonge St or the west end on Bloor if it's to stay. If the facade is to remain only, scrap it as it will another poor attempt to retain something that will look out of place and a mess. The BE tower is a good example of this.

This happens with winds over 100 kms/hour. Anchoring it instead of weighing it down would have been better. Perhaps the granite tiles should have been removed and a temp sidewalk installed. The tiles are likely going to have to be redone. Anyways, the point of hoarding is to protect from above.

With billboards attached to the scaffolds, ( in effect acting like sails ), as the pictures show there is a significant force factor that must be calculated by an engineer. To say high winds will do these things is not an explanation. I wonder if the MOL is doing an investigation.

The project is on hold until the court case decide if the remaining building gets torn down, the facades is retain or the whole building stays.

What court case? The developer already agreed to include the building. Is this the developer trying to change the deal and tear down the building? I don't get it.

I am aware of the litigation between Mizrahi and his former partner, but am not aware of any litigation concerning the remaining heritage building on the site (which I also understood was being conserved in part as part of the proposal, pursuant to approvals by Council). Anyone know any details of this additional litigation?

With billboards attached to the scaffolds, ( in effect acting like sails ), as the pictures show there is a significant force factor that must be calculated by an engineer. To say high winds will do these things is not an explanation. I wonder if the MOL is doing an investigation.

It's not an explanation. It's an observation.

The isn't the first covered sidewalk I've seen blown over in a wind gust and I suspect it won't be the last. There are consistencies. Each one tended to be a prefab steel pipe structure that was weighed down with concrete block instead of firmly bolted to the ground.

Last edited:
Given Drum got it from the construction guys, it may have been a bit of broken telephone with the "court case" really being the OMB hearing, which is scheduled for April 18th. They have another pre-hearing on monday (Jan 16th) though, not sure if they need to go all the way to the full hearing considering they have a settlement.

Considering the hoarding wasn't even present a good chunk of the time during demolition, I'd argue the point of the hoarding is to serve as an ad.

AoD

Yeah but, it's done and some around here still feel a free pass should be given in consideration of what has been proposed

Given Drum got it from the construction guys, it may have been a bit of broken telephone with the "court case" really being the OMB hearing, which is scheduled for April 18th. They have another pre-hearing on monday (Jan 16th) though, not sure if they need to go all the way to the full hearing considering they have a settlement.

Last I heard, they don't have a settlement. Council supported the project. But there are a number of other parties, many of whom last I heard were still opposed.

Back