Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Why would any newspaper outside Toronto mention it? "Another apartment building to go up in big city" isn't exactly a gripping headline. It hardly qualifies as news.

I don't think people outside of Canada would care even if we built a 600m building. Building heights aren't that important anymore.

not if the apartment is 600m. Try to convince me Chicago Spire never caught any attention of the media outside Chicago. The 630m Shanghai Tower didn't just go up unnoticed either.
A 300m apartment is just another apartment. A 600m one is not. Let's not be disingenuous. Height matters, but 340m is not the kind of height that does.

not if the apartment is 600m. Try to convince me Chicago Spire never caught any attention of the media outside Chicago. The 630m Shanghai Tower didn't just go up unnoticed either.
A 300m apartment is just another apartment. A 600m one is not. Let's not be disingenuous. Height matters, but 340m is not the kind of height that does.
I doubt anyone outside of skyscraper geeks had heard of the Chicago Spire or the Shanghai Tower. Like I said, not important to most people anymore.

And trust me, I do like impressively tall buildings but the 37m difference involved here makes close to zero difference. People should really get over it.

I'll explain why I am saddened by the 37m decrease, and it has nothing to do with rankings of cities or the specific final height being more or less than 300m or 1000ft (numbers I had no idea signified anything before I began paying attention to this forum, and that includes the many years I paid as close attention to the SSP Ottawa forum).

The 37 metre decrease will make a significant difference to the interplay between The One and One Bloor East. A few days before the DRP session where the height decrease was announced, I was telling some friends how The One would be approximately a third taller than One Bloor East. We were near Yonge and St. Clair, where One Bloor is looking very impressive these days. They were surprised, impressed and excited to see it someday.

It has to do with marking an important intersection in Toronto with a landmark tower that will be seen from a greater distance. It has to do with creating a more visually interesting skyline at Bloor-Yonge than will be accomplished with The One and One Bloor East being much closer in height. It has to do with reducing the visual slenderness of The One's design.

These are the reasons I am sad the 37 metres were dropped. But these reasons are not enough for me to think the sky is falling or to lose my more general enthusiasm for this project to get built.

I'd love to meet the 68 people who 'liked' anything you've ever had to say.

I'll explain why I am saddened by the 37m decrease, and it has nothing to do with rankings of cities or the specific final height being more or less than 300m or 1000ft (numbers I had no idea signified anything before I began paying attention to this forum, and that includes the many years I paid as close attention to the SSP Ottawa forum).

The 37 metre decrease will make a significant difference to the interplay between The One and One Bloor East. A few days before the DRP session where the height decrease was announced, I was telling some friends how The One would be approximately a third taller than One Bloor East. We were near Yonge and St. Clair, where One Bloor is looking very impressive these days. They were surprised, impressed and excited to see it someday.

It has to do with marking an important intersection in Toronto with a landmark tower that will be seen from a greater distance. It has to do with creating a more visually interesting skyline at Bloor-Yonge than will be accomplished with The One and One Bloor East being much closer in height. It has to do with reducing the visual slenderness of The One's design.

These are the reasons I am sad the 37 metres were dropped. But these reasons are not enough for me to think the sky is falling or to lose my more general enthusiasm for this project to get built.

Well wasn't that a well thought-out and reasoned argument. Refreshing.

Hahaha,
You and my memory seem to have me at a disadvantage!

Yep, people know about the Burj Khalifa because it's the tallest in the world. Unless we're going taller than that, no one is going to care.

Less people know about the Burg Khalifa than Sears or WTC which were the dominant tallest for 25 to 30 years.

The Chicago Spire is a glorious pit. Clearly it did not get that much attention internationally.

Good post. The existing One is a dominant tower that I feel the new height of the proposed One will be more complimentary than having it dominant the existing One. The Ones are like an upgrade of the landmark Two Bloors.

I too am saddened the height was dropped, I do like dramatic height variances within a big city. Bringing it to 300m will bring it to a flat top with One East.

I do agree though that the top of The One was boring and the original design was the best one.

I was hoping that this thread was filled more with architecture and urban planning enthusiasts, and not just "passionate adherents of tall towers".

It is filled with people who are passionate about architecture and planning - what do you think these last 20 pages have been about? Some of that passion is for tall buildings (architecture comes in various sizes). If you are looking for a forum where everyone feels the same way or only supports or likes architecture of a particular size - you're in the wrong place.

Back