Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Let's be realistic. 774 Yonge does gave a beautiful facade. I'm sure it can be incorporated within The One. Facadism?
Everyone will be happy.

Heritage buildings in the way of towers have been moved before. Hopefully part of Mizrahi coming to terms with the city will involve the preservation and movement of Hue's. West Don Lands or Portlands, anybody?

Not that it's an authentic/great/plausible solution, but a better use for the facade might be repairing gaps along the Yonge strip.

Let's be realistic. 774 Yonge does gave a beautiful facade. I'm sure it can be incorporated within The One. Facadism?
Everyone will be happy.

I am not sure if it would do either a favour preserving it that way - it might look very awkward.

AoD

Last edited by a moderator:
My response to that would be: If you don't want to have a potential heritage building demolished while you intend to assess its heritage value, don't issue a demolition permit.

The city had no choice in issuing a demolition permit, it was required by law to occur within a certain time period after the application was received.

I understand that this section of Yonge St. (which included all the buildings on this block) is under consideration for a Heritage Conservation District designation but the process hasn't been completed yet.

Note: apparently greenleaf was posting at the same time I was typing the same info

Last edited:
Everyone will be happy.

it would look even more awkward than the RCMI condo. Sacrificing the quality of a landmark building we come across once in 10 years for the sake for preserving a façade that is not that special or unique is simply not worth it.

Maybe we can move 774 Yonge and replace some ugly buildings with it. There are probably 20 candidates nearby I can think of.

Chiming in late here. I really like the proposal, surely changes are yet to come. I'm concerned about the shadowing issue on Jesse Ketchum Park, but if studies clear the park then give them all the height they want here. I can't see this being rentals, the payback is far too slow on an investment like this. Perhaps a group of executive rentals spread over a few floors on the lower level? Maybe. I'm kind of thinking that the lower half of residences will be the easy-to-sell, smaller (read: not micro) sized units and the premium large suites in the top half. The other thing is I question the type of people paying for premium condo homes here are not going to want to take an elevator to a sky lobby and walk to a second elevator to get to their home, I just don't see it. I'd expect elevator cabs for the lower section with perhaps a transfer point, then express cabs for the higher section.
I'm not entirely excited about this, I question whether the money (or investors) are here to secure this large a building at what seems to be pretty high price points. The shopping Atrium is exciting, and it's underground connections. Bring in Jean Nouvel, that'll get my pulse racing. I do however look forward to watching the drama unfold!

Everyone will be happy.

I hate how façadism seems to be the solution to all heritage problems in Toronto. The first few times it was a novel idea, but now it's just silly. Façadism isn't appropriate everywhere, and it definitely isn't appropriate for The One.

As much as I like the Hue's kitchen building and would hate to see it go, I have a hard time imagining it as part of a The One. It really would look awkward. If there is any other way of using the facade elsewhere I would like that.

I already get that negative vibe from Toronto news media in regards to this project. They're slipping in talk of congestion, and the whole 'we already have too many condos' train of thought. Why can't people just celebrate these projects instead of going in and digging around for all the negative aspects.

After doing some math, the average condo size in this proposal is roughly 929 sq.ft.
Sales at One Bloor East is almost $1,000/sq.ft., so if you factor in the typical future pricing for precon it maybe at $1,100/sq.ft. or more given the long closing.
That means the average price for a unit here will be just above a million dollars, well beyond what the typical investor are willing to gamble on.
I am guessing that prices will be even closer to $1,200 or more as it sounds like the condos are catering to the super high-end buyer (think Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, Shangri-La and Trump) -- far more upscale than the interiors of 1BE, which I heard are disappointing.

Mizrahi mentioned that construction will start soon with retail opening in 2018 which I don't think he has any clue how long it takes to get city approvals. On top of that it will be interesting to see how he is going to have the retail portion finished and opened while the tower is still under construction as the site is not as big as 1BE or Aura. This will be an amazing feat of logistics.
Sounds like Mizrahi has the funds to start construction without meeting the 70 or 80% in condo sales, if not, meeting those sales target will take some time given the very high price point.

The other thing is I question the type of people paying for premium condo homes here are not going to want to take an elevator to a sky lobby and walk to a second elevator to get to their home, I just don't see it. I'd expect elevator cabs for the lower section with perhaps a transfer point, then express cabs for the higher section.

The super premium residences at the Ritz have this arrangement. You take one elevator to the sky lobby then another one right into your unit.

I personally wouldn't like it but I did notice that elevators are very quick to arrive so this may not be a huge problem.

Back