Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

This is also Toronto. There are plenty of decisions made in planning regarding height that are perplexing. Within reason, it's usually of little consequence. Why does it seem to continually get more attention than density , built form, useage, etc.

Not much that I can see has changed on site from above since my last photo.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,793
Well height is obviously a significant design component for skyscrapers, reaching for the sky, breaking barriers and reaching new heights is also part of the appeal. Lopping off 40 metres is actually significant in this context since such heights would clearly have placed it in a class of it's own in Toronto. But I certainly agree that overall design is far more important. From my end I would gladly have them lop off another 40 metres if they brought back the original exoskeleton design.

"people know about the Burj Khalifa because it's the tallest in the world"

And yet what percentage of people you meet on the street would be able to name all three of the building, city, or nation of the world's tallest? In my opinion definitely less than 1%, possibly as low as .1%. I follow this kind of stuff and for sure they are building something taller than Burj right now and I don't know what or where it is.

I was watching something I can't remember right now and the commentator was saying something that politically people tend to view policy through a paradigm of power or quality of life. Neither opinion is right or wrong, However, in the context of this discussion height matters for power, height is irrelevant and possibly even negative from the perspective of quality of life.

Personally, I can't make up my mind because on the one hand I think about power and think the One would visibly be more appealing at the original proposed height. On the other hand I don't feel the building height is relevant to the Bloor-Yorkville neighbourhood and personally I have no desire to and never have and never will work or live in a highrise building.

A question for clarification: was the height of the proposed building "lopped" because City Planning mandated/negotiated/strongly encouraged the decrease? Or was it primarily because of internal factors such as finances etc? This has never been clear to me.

my understanding is that it was a bit of both. Local community group asked for a bit of a height chop, and the developer agreed because it didn't effect their finances very much. Developer would be fighting it if they wanted those 84 floors.

A question for clarification: was the height of the proposed building "lopped" because City Planning mandated/negotiated/strongly encouraged the decrease? Or was it primarily because of internal factors such as finances etc? This has never been clear to me.

Nobody outside of Mizrahi's inner cabinet has any idea - everyone, including myself, is speculating.

Personally I believe he has obligations to uphold and had to make a tough decision. There is a counsellor who was promising to continue to hold him up (Mad about a little bit of timely demolition) and a NIMBY group that was frantically concerned about shadows over a local dog squat - apparently they were not made aware of the little known fact that shadows move during the day and thought the lights were going out forever.

I don’t buy the financial theory for a minute. There remains considerable demand for condos, especially condos as well located as these. In fact there are many new towers going up and proposed for this area that demonstrate this. Just look at the line ups at condo openings.

I think he stood to lose an important tenant (Apple?) and some face if he didn’t knuckle under - so he did - although I think he lost considerably more face by knuckling under but that’s just my opinion.

Hence, not "The One" but "Just Another One".

Last edited:
That's a lot of words to say "I have no idea - but here's some idle, baseless speculation."

This is a much politer way to describe what Big Daddy wrote. I'd be inclined to just call it the word used to describe the feces of a certain male farm animal myself. But this is nicer :)

This is a much politer way to describe what Big Daddy wrote. I'd be inclined to just call it the word used to describe the feces of a certain male farm animal myself. But this is nicer :)

From my perspective - Big Daddy was responding to a legitimate question - why the reduction in height, posed by 67cup. Big Daddy's response, for the benefit of 67cup, covered some of the major possible reasons for the rethink in height, adding the qualification that at this point, other than those directly involved, know one knows for sure. An appropriate for someone who may not have been following all the issues with the proposed building over the past couple of years.

What I fail to see is how Big Daddy's response warranted the two replies above. The issues mentioned by Big Daddy have been raised before - if anything, the first comment is in my opinion both inaccurate and gratuitous. As for the second response, quoted above, its imagery applies to that response itself, and not to Big Daddy's comment.

From my perspective - Big Daddy was responding to a legitimate question - why the reduction in height, posed by 67cup. Big Daddy's response, for the benefit of 67cup, covered some of the major possible reasons for the rethink in height, adding the qualification that at this point, other than those directly involved, know one knows for sure. An appropriate for someone who may not have been following all the issues with the proposed building over the past couple of years.

What I fail to see is how Big Daddy's response warranted the two replies above. The issues mentioned by Big Daddy have been raised before - if anything, the first comment is in my opinion both inaccurate and gratuitous. As for the second response, quoted above, its imagery applies to that response itself, and not to Big Daddy's comment.

Scroll back umpteen pages - the exact same arguments - all the way to "just another one" had been posted before by the same. Yes, just another one that is a Foster, if we are only that lucky.

It's not for anyone's benefit - it's rehashing the same tired points over again.

AoD

Scroll back umpteen pages - the exact same arguments - all the way to "just another one" had been posted before by the same. Yes, just another one that is a Foster, if we are only that lucky.

It's not for anyone's benefit - it's rehashing the same tired points over again.

AoD

Setting aside the manner in which the original arguments were stated and without passing judgment on the responses to it, the sentiments expressed originally don't quite reflect the reality of city planning. For a number of factors, many (and, I don't have the data at-hand to support this, but I would guess a majority of) towers in Toronto are sought to be approved at a higher height than they are ultimately granted purely because of the nature of the process—not because Toronto developers are small-town; not because there aren't big thinkers here; not because Canadians are unambitious; not because of any particular city councillor—purely because of the process.

Quite simply, developers often ask for more height than they're ultimately granted because they know that it's most likely to be whittled down through the planning process. And that's fine. Better than fine, in fact—we don't want, or at least shouldn't want, to live in a city where developers get whatever they want at any time, end of story. That's how you get Dubai (and even developers there of course face restrictions).

One councillor's comments about the development have been taken somewhat out of context and bandied about this thread, but the reality is it is part of the job description to manage all types of issues in one's ward, and much development occurs within that frame.

And, yes, in some cases, shadows are a consideration in development planning—that's why, for example, a shadow study is a required part of many submissions. Many cities, including New York City, are going through pitched battles around the impact of shadows; for example, if every tower currently proposed for parts of Central Park South is approved and built as-is, as much as 5 percent of the total surface area of Central Park will be covered by shadows at certain times of the year. Do shadows kill or harm people? No. Is it much nicer to enjoy Central Park, have your kids play on its playgrounds, take wedding photos, or have a picnic with friends when you have the option to sit in the sun? Yes. So it's worth discussing.

It's simply beyond refute to suggest that pure, unbridled, unmitigated development is bad for the development of any city. That means that there is a process that proposals must pass through, plain and simple. It doesn't mean this project won't get built and, frankly, I can't get behind any legitimate argument that the neighourbood in which I live will be worse off because the height was chopped here.

If this project makes financial sense—and it's hyperbolic to suggest that the aforementioned height chop will be the deciding factor in that regard—it will get built. And it will be tall. And that's fine. Everything is fine.

Back