Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

This project has made a single wrong turn (as far as I know) navigating the labyrinth of rules, and regulations it must follow, and a number of people view it as some kind of rogue organization.

I'm sure the city makes sure the details are correct in all of its dealings as much as it does for this project.

This project has made a single wrong turn (as far as I know) navigating the labyrinth of rules, and regulations it must follow, and a number of people view it as some kind of rogue organization.

I'm sure the city makes sure the details are correct in all of its dealings as much as it does for this project.

I am sorry but you obviously have not done your homework if you think this project has made a "single wrong turn". I know it is a long thread but this has been discussed in excruciating detail in the past few months, so if you were interested in learning the facts and viewing the relevant materials and information before making bold, unsubstantiated claims, I would invite you to read up in this very thread where you will find all the information you need.

More, because they were given allowances in height/design in exchange for paying to the local community in the form of parkland, affordable housing, etc. The city wasn't "given" anything. This was a transaction in relation to how much the new building is affecting the local community (diminished sunlight, wind tunnelling, diminishing the local "character", etc.).
Section 37 of the Planning Act deals with payments or non-cash contributions (such as community space) in exchange for greater heights and densities. It is Section 42 that deals with parkland dedication, and this is not predicated on securing greater heights or densities, but is a general condition of development. Of course these are getting combined into the Community Benefits Charge (CBC, along with soft development charges) but this site is under the current regime where parkland is a requirement not linked with greater height or density.

One would think we'll be getting an above ground permit any day now
Would have had it at least 6 months ago if he knew what he was doing/

I am sorry but you obviously have not done your homework if you think this project has made a "single wrong turn". I know it is a long thread but this has been discussed in excruciating detail in the past few months, so if you were interested in learning the facts and viewing the relevant materials and information before making bold, unsubstantiated claims, I would invite you to read up in this very thread where you will find all the information you need.
Please don't suck this thread into a never-ending waterspout on Mizrahi's actions.

If you think my statement, tempered with "as far as I know", is bold, that would make your statement far bolder than mine. In fact, yours is a boulder compared to my pebble.

I've been watching this thread for months, but for some reason, perhaps early Alzheimer's onset, I can't recall any concrete missteps other than the one mentioned. PLEASE don't view this as a request for dredging up whatever sludge I may have missed. I'm not that interested. But thanks for correcting my false impression.

Definitely looks as if they're getting ready for the next stage.
It's only been 3 years and they're nowhere near completing a 4 level parking garage....lol.... 4 months down 4 months up and 4 months for deep caissons....12 months reflects a competent schedule (ok I'll be really really generous, 16 months) ... they are now at 36 months..the CN Tower was built in 40 months start to finish. So many great projects going on in the city at the moment, why focus on this fly by the seat of your pants trainwreck .

It's only been 3 years and they're nowhere near completing a 4 level parking garage....lol.... 4 months down 4 months up and 4 months for deep caissons....12 months reflects a competent schedule (ok I'll be really really generous, 16 months) ... they are now at 36 months..the CN Tower was built in 40 months start to finish. So many great projects going on in the city at the moment, why focus on this fly by the seat of your pants trainwreck .
People can focus on whatever project they desire to focus on.

With the risk of being out of place and with all due respect, I don't think anyone is obligated to "do there homework" before posting on anything here, IMO. You (or anyone) are free to make the corrections if posts and opinions are off the mark. But this is not a grade school, but a forum to my that anyone who is interested in this subject is allowed to have their say...as long as they're not trolling to my understanding. And sometimes people get things wrong. I know I do...

Besides, you seem to have been volunteering on giving out the proper information...so doing the homework is not really needed even if it was needed. : )

A perfect reflection of society as a whole today on so many levels.
I don't quite get your point.

Last edited:
With the risk of being out of place and with all due respect, I don't think anyone is obligated to "do there homework" before posting on anything here, IMO. You (or anyone) are free to make the corrections if posts and opinions are off the mark. But this is not a grade school, but a forum to my that anyone who is interested in this subject is allowed to have their say...as long as they're not trolling to my understanding. And sometimes people get things wrong. I know I do...

Yes and no - the issues with this project are beyond well documented on this forum - a new member may not be familiar with them, but someone whose participation in the forum for the last 6 months is entirely on this thread should know better before making assertions resulting in the reopening this debate again.

MoD

Last edited:

I believe you've missed the mark on comparing this project to the CN Tower. Both very different projects, sites, and structures. Also your 4 months down 4 months up on excavation and U/G structure ratio rarely is ever made on schedule unless you are working on an "perfect" site with no restrictions, no equipment failures, & perfect shoring system. - If any reaction to this is "aLl My PrOjEcTs CaN dO It" - happy for you - most don't, even at the WELL, they were late and that's a giant site with lots of mobility. Now a days with an eroding workforce of skilled trades as less come in and more retire, major trade companies are spread thin to perform the work or have multiple "A" team to perform said work - all projects are getting a little longer whether you accept that reality or not.

That said, this hole is also not 4 levels down, but actually the height of 6 levels, 4 + concourse, not counting an extra level just to the underside of foundations for the mega caps - so excavate to 7? - it's not a typical parking structure - Oh should I add in addition shoring just to excavate the elevator overruns on the west core? Plus not to mention the forgetfulness when doing the math - the caisson wall installation on this project, the drilling of the smaller foundation caissons drilled from the top, the tieback installations that have to be set & tested prior to excavating each level, the different shoring system under the historical facade, installation & removal of interior bracing, should I keep going?

If you want to make comments off the seat of your pants, you should have a better detail of the construction facts for next time ;). When planning this project or any project there is a lot of thought put into excavation & below grade staging - the time "was" (key word) planned correctly.

As per everything else that has happened on this project with regards to the city, the developer, Dundonald - I can not comment, but it's been frustrating on all counts and wish I could share more.

Yes and no - the issues with this project are beyond well documented on this forum - a new member may not be familiar with them, but someone whose participation in the forum for the last 6 months is entirely on this thread should know better before making assertions resulting in the reopening this debate again.

MoD
Fair enough...

...and reopening this debate again, yeah. /sigh

I believe you've missed the mark on comparing this project to the CN Tower. Both very different projects, sites, and structures. Also your 4 months down 4 months up on excavation and U/G structure ratio rarely is ever made on schedule unless you are working on an "perfect" site with no restrictions, no equipment failures, & perfect shoring system. - If any reaction to this is "aLl My PrOjEcTs CaN dO It" - happy for you - most don't, even at the WELL, they were late and that's a giant site with lots of mobility. Now a days with an eroding workforce of skilled trades as less come in and more retire, major trade companies are spread thin to perform the work or have multiple "A" team to perform said work - all projects are getting a little longer whether you accept that reality or not.

That said, this hole is also not 4 levels down, but actually the height of 6 levels, 4 + concourse, not counting an extra level just to the underside of foundations for the mega caps - so excavate to 7? - it's not a typical parking structure - Oh should I add in addition shoring just to excavate the elevator overruns on the west core? Plus not to mention the forgetfulness when doing the math - the caisson wall installation on this project, the drilling of the smaller foundation caissons drilled from the top, the tieback installations that have to be set & tested prior to excavating each level, the different shoring system under the historical facade, installation & removal of interior bracing, should I keep going?

If you want to make comments off the seat of your pants, you should have a better detail of the construction facts for next time ;). When planning this project or any project there is a lot of thought put into excavation & below grade staging - the time "was" (key word) planned correctly.

As per everything else that has happened on this project with regards to the city, the developer, Dundonald - I can not comment, but it's been frustrating on all counts and wish I could share more.

A factual, well put together post that will be ignored by the (troll) poster in question - like the last time he tried to compare CIBC Square to this project.

Back